Ayurvedic Treatment of Anorexia Nervosa
Food is a part of traditions and culture. Food gives energy to our body and this energy is very essential for functioning of whole body. Eating has an emotional component as well. For many people, changing eating habits is very hard. We may have certain eating habits for so long that we do not realize they are unhealthy. Or, our habits have become part of our daily life, so we do not think much about them. Further these habits are changed into serious diseases.
ABOUT ANOREXIA NERVOSA
Anorexia nervosa is a serious eating disorder affect men and women of all age groups. Anorexia nervosa involves self-starvation. It is eating disorder with low weight, fear of gaining weight and a very strong desire to be thin. Many people with anorexia see themselves overweight even though they are underweight.
Three characterized features of the disease are:-
- Refusal to maintain a healthy body weight.
- An intense fear of gaining body weight.
- A distorted body image.
Patients suffering with this disorder weigh them very frequently, only eat certain food in very small amount. Anorexia lead to serious complications like heart damage, infertility, osteoporosis and women will often stop having menstrual periods. In our modern lifestyle oily foods, heavy foods, inactive lifestyle and snacking between meals contribute a lot to this disorder. Cultural factors also play a vast role in it. Additionally, it occurs more commonly among those people involved the value of thinness such as models, dancers and high level athletics. Approximately 90-95% anorexia sufferers are girls and female.
TYPES OF ANOREXIA NERVOSA
There are two types of anorexia:-
- Restricting type - In restricting type weight loss is achieved by restricting calories (fasting and excessive exercise).
- Purging type - In purging type anorexia, weight loss is achieved by vomiting or using laxatives and diuretics.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF ANOREXIA NERVOSA
Anorexia or aruchi is a condition manifested due to affliction of gastro intestinal tract (amavaha srotas) in association with circulatory system (rasa vaha srotas). Tongue is the main site of manifestation. The cardinal features of this condition are loss of desire for food or distaste for food, even which may be one's own liking. Vata dosha, in association with Pachaka pitta play vital role in bringing about hunger. Hunger stimulates proper perception of taste. For normal perception of taste, bodhaka kapha (existing in mouth), prana vata (existing in head and neck) and samana vata (persisting in stomach) should have proper co-ordination. If the relation is disturbed, anorexia is caused.
TYPES OF ARUCHI
Aruchi is classified in to following types:-
- VATAJA ARUCHI - Distress, pain in various parts of body, cardiac pain and hypersensitivity in teeth.
- PAITTIK ARUCHI - Thirst, burning sensation, cutting pain, sour mixed with pungent taste in mouth.
- KAPHJA ARUCHI - Heaviness, coldness, nausea, sweet mixed salty taste in mouth.
- SANNIPATAJA ARUCHI - Mixed features of all three doshas.
- AGANTUJA ARUCHI - This kind of anorexia is due to fear, anger, grief, greediness etc.
Particular cause of anorexia is unknown. Depending upon different factors it is characterized in three following types:-
- Biological factors
- Psychological factors
- Environmental factors
Anorexia is a serious, potentially life threatening eating disorder characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight loss.
Symptoms may include:-
- Refusal to maintain normal body weight.
- Rapid weight loss
- Soft and fine hair growth on body and face
- Increased cardiac rate
- Chronic fatigue
- Rapid muscle cramps
- Dry hair, rapid hair loss and dry skin
- Food restriction despite being underweight.
- Abnormal blood count
- Intolerance to cold
- Dizziness and fainting
- Rapid mood swings
- Bluish discoloration and yellowish color of skin
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR ANOREXIA NERVOSA BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda provides effective herbal remedies such as Chitrakadi Vati, Sanjeevani Vati, Hakam Churna & Digestion Support for ayurvedic treatment of anorexia nervosa. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Chitrakadi vati is an herbal supplement of planet ayurveda is a prepared by different herbs. It is combination of Chitrak root bark (Plumbago zeylanica), Saunth (Zingiber officinale), Pipali mul (Piper retrofractum), Pippali (Piper longum), Kali marich (Piper nigrum), Hing (Asafoetida), Ajmotha (Carum roxburghianum), Chawaya (Piper chaba).
Dose - 2 tablets twice a day with plain water
Pack - Each bottle contains 120 tablets.
Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Shunthi (Zinigiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Vacha (Acrous calamus), Guduchi (Tinospora cardifolia), Shudha bhallataka (Semecarpus anacardium) and Shudha vatsnabh (Aconitum ferox). Our supplements is made up of all these herbs.
Dose - 2- 4 tablets twice daily with plain water.
Pack - Each bottle contains 120 tablets.
3. HAKAM CHURNA
This herbal supplement of Planet Ayurveda is prepared by using 4 different pure herbs. Ingredients used are Chandershoor (Lipidium sativum), Methi (Fenugreek), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) and kalonji (Nigella sativa).
Dose - 1 tsp twice daily with plain water.
Pack – Each pack contains 100gm powder in it.
Digestion support is an herbal supplement of ayurveda made up of 7 pure ayurvedic herbs. These herbs include Amala (Emblica offinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vibhitaki (Terminalia ballerica), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Pippali (Piper longum) and Jeerak (Cymium cumium).
Dose - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
Pack - Each bottle contains 120 capsules.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ANOREXIA NERVOSA
These home remedies along, with psychological meditation, can help in curing anorexia and all other related symptoms.
Some home remedies are:-
- GINGER - Ginger help to stimulate digestion and help to enhance hunger. Use of ginger with rock salt works miraculously in anorexia.
- APPLE - Eating an apple a day stimulates the protein digesting enzyme called pepsin. Thus useful in process of digestion.
- LEMON AND ORANGE JUICE - Both work like system cleanser and very effective in anorexia.
- MINT - Mint is a natural appetizer and it help to increase the hunger.
- ASAFETIDA - Asafetida is a natural aromatic spice used in Indian kitchens. A pinch of hing in pure ghee help to cure anorexia.
- WARM WATER - Water is the most common basic remedy for the cure of anorexia. Unless your digestive system is not cleansed, you will not feel hunger and your anorexia will not cure.
- PINEAPPLE - If you eat some slices of pineapple regularly and you will feel consistent craving for food all the day.
- MASSAGE AND YOGA - Massage and yoga both combat the emotional causes of anorexia.