Reference - Ashtang Hridya Sutra 20/ 37-39
Anu tailam is a herbal oil formulation mentioned in ayurvedic classical texts. It is basically used for "nasya procedure". In nasya medicated oil is instilled in both nostrils. It cleans excess mucus from the respiratory tract and balances kapha dosha. In this article we will know about its ingredients, benefits, contraindications, dosage, etc.
According to Ayurveda, when medicinal oils are poured inside nostrils known as nasya, anu tailam is also such preparation. It helps to clear all nasal passages and manages sinus problems. It is prepared from a number of ingredients like Holostemma, Cedrus deodara, etc. In classics it is mentioned in different texts such as ashtanga hridaya, charak samhita, ashtanga sangraha, Sahasroyoga. This oil is mainly indicated in diseases related to the nose, throat, and head. This medicated oil can be used daily as a healthy routine.
In classical text, named ashtang hridya anu tailam is indicated as nasya (instilling through nose) which is of snehan (lubricating) type. It is mainly indicated in predominant vata dosha with balancing kapha dosha. As according to the shloka below Anu tailam in classics is beneficial for conditions such as-
- Helpful in ears, eyes, nose and throat disorders
- Manage disorders related to sense organs (drida indriya)
- Useful in hairfall and premature greying (khalitya palitya)
- Makes skin healthy (prasan twak)
- Strengthen shoulders, face, neck and chest region. (ghan skandh, greeva, vaksh)
Anu tailam is prepared from various ingredients, which are given below-
- Jeevanti- Leptadenia reticulata
- Devdaru- Cedrus deodara
- Twak- Cinnamomum aromaticum
- Usheer- Vitivera zizanioides
- Gopi- Ocimum sanctum
- Daruharidra- Berberis aristata
- Madhuk- Glycerriza glabra
- Musta- Cyperus rotundus
- Agaru- Aquilaria agallocha
- Shatavari- Asparagus racemosus
- Kamal- Lotus
- Bilva- Aegle marmelos
- Utpala- Nymphaea stellata
- Brihati- Solanum indicum
- Kantakari- Solanum xanthocarpum
- Shalaparni- Desmodium giganteum
- Prishniparni- Uraria picta
- Vidang- Embelia ribes
- Patra- Cinnamomum
- Ela- Cardamom
- Renuka/ Nirgundi- Vitex negundo
- Tailam- Sesame oil
- Aja dugdh- goat milk
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Jeevanti- It rejuvenates and nourishes the body's immune system. It relieves cough, sneezing and common cold symptoms. It has an anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effect.
- Devdaru- It has anti expectorant property and clears all mucus from the respiratory tract. Also it has antispasmodic properties that manage asthma symptoms.
- Twak- It boosts the overall metabolism of the body, it protects our brain and memory function. It has an anti-inflammatory property.
- Usher-It helps in treating epistaxis and diaphoresis. It has antifungal properties so good for skin disorders. It relieves from burning sensations in eyes, tiredness, and fatigue.
- Gopi- It is very useful in cough, fever and respiratory disorders. It has antipyretic, analgesic properties and corrects eye irritation.
- Daruharidra- It is used to treat various eye infections and has anti-bacterial, microbial and oxidative properties.
- Madhuk- It is helpful in treating various respiratory disorders, insomnia and various infections.
- Musta- It has anti-inflammatory action and cures the problem of gastrointestinal tract. It mainly acts on kapha and pitta disorders.
- Agaru- It is pungent in nature which reduces pain and inflammation. It heals all skin ulcers and skin exudates.
- Shatavari- It has a building and nourishing effect which pacifies vata and pitta dosha from the body. It has moisturizing properties so it is good for skin.
- Kamal- It maintains psychological balance and gives mental peace. It has an anti-inflammatory and antipyretic effect.
- Bilva- Mainly it reduces swelling, rich in various vitamins and minerals. It is beneficial in tuberculosis, asthma and breathing problems.
- Utpala- It helps in refreshing the mind and treats depression. Helpful in bleeding disorders like nasal bleeding, excessive uterine bleeding.
- Brihati, Kantakari- It is widely used to treat respiratory conditions like cold, cough, sore throat and dermatological conditions.
- Shalaparni- It has antipyretic properties and is very helpful in bronchitis. It reduces inflammation due to its brocho-dilator and anti-inflammatory property.
- Prishniparni- It is very effective in common cold, fever, sore throat, etc. It has good healing properties and acts as an expectorant to the respiratory system.
- Vidang- It is very useful in worm infestations and improves digestion. It balances vitiated vata and kapha dosha.
- Patra- It is an aromatic herb which helps in anorexia and indigestion. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ela- It works on pain and burning sensation, traits disorders of vata dosha imbalance. It is highly beneficial in productive cough.
- Renuka/ Nirgundi- It reduces asthma symptoms, relieves anxiety and epilepsy symptoms. It cures high fever and premature graying of hairs.
- Sesame oil- It helps in protecting skin from any damage, also fights against stress and depression and it improves oral health.
- Goat milk- It provides healthy skin and acts as a blood purifier. It is easy to digest and helps to prevent allergies in children.
Method Of Preparation
Anu Tailam is prepared from following steps-
- The ingredients mentioned above are collected and washed properly with clean water.
- Then all the drugs are boiled with a hundred times of rain water to prepare decoction.
- The solution is reduced to ten times of the oil in quantity.
- Then sesame oil is boiled in this solution for ten times.
- At last during the tenth stage of boiling an equal quantity of goat milk should be added in the decoction.
- Then anu tailam is prepared and used for inhalation.
The various properties of Anu Tailam are as given following-
- Anti-inflammatory property
- Act as antioxidant
- It have mucolytic activity
- Have anti expectorant property
- Anti-allergic effects
The indications of anu tailam in classics are as following-
- Allergic rhinitis
- Cervical spondylosis
- Hair Loss, baldness
- Nasal congestion
- Facial palsy
The conditions when anu tail is not given are-
2-3 drops in each nostril daily.
Like common oil
Anu Tailam is well described in classical texts and is used for health maintenance as well as therapeutic purposes. As mentioned above, it is used for inhalation and manages udarav jatrugat disorders (upper clavicular region). It can be used daily for a healthy lifestyle. It helps in relieving from common cold, sneezing and headache problems.