Ashokarishta (Asokarishtam) - Ashokarishta Uses, Benefits, Indications and Dosage
Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Strirogadhikara (Gynaecological problems)
Introduction of Ashokarishta
Ashokarishta is an Ayurvedic formulation, formed through fermentation. Ashokarishta contains self-generated alcohol 5 to 10 percent. It is effective for all kinds of female reproductive health problems. This liquid is somewhat of sweet astringent taste. The main ingredient in this formulation is herb Ashoka (Saraca asoca). This is known as a holy tree in Indian Hindu culture. The plant has properties of being anti-arthritis, useful for gynecological health, stimulatory, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and pain relieving.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|2.||Water for decoction||49.152 litres|
|3.||Ashoka||Saraca asoca||Stem Bark||4.800 kg|
|Prakshepa dravyas (Herbal additives for aroma and for accelerating process of fermentation)|
|4.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||Flower||768 g|
|5.||Haritaki||Terminalia chebula||Pericarp||48 g|
|6.||Shunthi||Zingiber officinale||Rhizome||48 g|
|7.||Amalaki||Emblica officinalis||Pericarp||48 g|
|8.||Shveta chandana||Santalum album||Heart Wood||48 g|
|9.||Vasa||Adhatoda vasica||Root||48 g|
|10.||Darvi||Berberis aristata||Stem||48 g|
|11.||Musta||Cyperus rotundus||Rhizome||48 g|
|12.||Bibhitaki||Terminalia bellerica||Pericarp||48 g|
|13.||Amrasthi||Mangifera indica||Endosperm||48 g|
|14.||Utpala||Nymphaea stellate||Flower||48 g|
|15.||Svetajiraka||Cuminum cyminum||Fruit||48 g|
|16.||Jiraka||Cuminum cyminum||Root||48 g|
Method of Preparation Ashokarishta - How to Prepate Ashokarishta
- Take herb Ashoka wash, dry and get it in coarse powder form.
- Next step is to made water decoction of Ashoka stem bark by using relevant amount of water.
- Place the decoction in the fermentation vessel.
- Dissolve jaggery in the mixture, boil it and then filter.
- Now take the ingredients of Prakshepa dravyas, wash and dry them. Make fine powder of these and add to the decoction.
- Now cover the mouth of container with a lid and keep a constant temperature to accelerate the fermentation process.
- After the completion of fermentation, fluid is pour out and strain after three days. Again the liquid get strain when the particles settle down.
- Now the formulation is prepared, keep it in a tight container, at cool place and keep it away from moisture and light.
- 15 to 25 ml twice a day with equal quantity of water.
- In heavy periods, women should start taking one week before menses (periods) and stop till last day of periods.
- This medicine can be taken for 4 to 8 weeks.
- Female hormonal problems
- Female reproduction system related problems such as pain in female genital tract, leucorrhea (irregular white discharge from female genitals).
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Menstrual cramps
- Female menstrual problems
- Avoid its use if menstrual problems continue in a long run.
- Use under medical supervision during lactation.
- Avoid during pregnancy.