Reference - Sahasrayogam gutika prakaranam 17/ 1
Ayurveda describes various types of formulation in classical texts such as oil, ghee, rasa, bhasma, gutika/ tablet forms. These days tablets are the most convenient form of medicine as it is easily accessible, taken. This gutika preparation has anti diarrheal, constipating and digestive properties. It contains herbomineral and toxic ingredients which can affect the brain, heart so always used with caution.
Ashtakshari gutika is a standardised tablet formulation prepared from various herbal medicines. It has anti diarrheal, carminative and antispasmodic action. This preparation helps in improving intestinal and gut health. These tablets should be taken under medical supervision as it contains ahiphena (Papaver somniferum) and shudh hingul like ingredients. Thos preparation contains 16 ingredients which only acts on digestive disorders. The main indication of this formulation is malabsorption syndrome, loose stools, colic pain and digestive weakness.
According to classics, Astha kshari gutika is mentioned in the text of Sahasrayogam to improve gut health or abdominal disorders. Among all dosha (vata, pitta and kapha), it helps in pacifying vata and kapha dosha. Some of the classical indications mentioned are as follows-
- Grahani (IBS- Irritable bowel syndrome)
- Arsha (Hemorrhoids)
- Atisara (Loose stools)
- Pravahika (Dysentery)
- Shula (Colic pain)
- Anaha (Abdominal distension)
The list of ingredients used are listed below-
- Ahiphena (Papaver somniferum)- 1 part
- Shweta chandana (Santalum album)- 1 part
- Rakta chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)- 1 part
- Ajaji (Myristica fragrans)- 1 part
- Shuddha hingula (Cinnabar- mercury compound)- 1 part
- Pippali (Piper longum)- 1 part
- Hingu (Asafoetida)- 1 part
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)- 1 part
- Rasana (Pluchea lesiulata)- 1 part
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinalis)- quantity sufficient (qs)
- Jiraka (Cuminum cyminum)- qs
- Dusparsha (Solanum xanthocarpum) -qs
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)- qs
- Yavani (Trachyspermum roxburghii)- qs
- Dhayanak (Coriandrum sativum)- qs
- Jambhira (Lemon juice)- qs
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Ahiphena (Papaver somniferum)- It is a thick latex obtained from poppy seeds. These seeds mainly act on vata dosha and increase kapha dosha. It has a great role in loose stools, dysentery or abdominal pain like symptoms. It also calms the mind, anxiety, muscular spasms, pain. It acts as nerve sedative, relaxant, analgesics and calming in nature.
- Shweta chandana (Santalum album)- Chandan helps in managing lower GI related issues such as decreased inflammation from intestines and urinary system. It prevents growth of bacteria and balances pitta dosha so also corrects digestive issues. It also has entero toxic properties so prevents diarrhoea like symptoms.
- Rakta chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)- This variety of chandan plays a protective role in abdominal issues, heals gastric ulcers and reduces production of gastric acid. It has cold potency and wound healing properties.
- Ajaji (Myristica fragrans)- Ajaji has a cyto-toxic effect as it protects healthy cells and reduces inflammatory changes in the body. It has antibacterial properties, improves digestion, anorexia like abdominal disorders.
- Shuddha hingula (Cinnabar)- Hingul works on balancing kapha, pitta dosha and manages conditions like nausea, vomiting, jaundice like conditions. It helps in managing liver and spleen disorders.
- Pippali (Piper longum)- Pippali fruits are used as it has hot potency so is very effective in respiratory and digestive disorders. It has carminative and antiflatulent properties. It is beneficial in flatulence, bloating, abdominal distension like conditions. It has analgesic, anti helminthic and carminative properties.
- Hingu (Asafoetida)- Hingu is the most beneficial drug for abdominal disorders like constipation, diarrhoea, indigestion, abdominal pain. It restores pH level of the body, maintains metabolism and provides strength.
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)- Ativisha is helpful in managing diarrhoea as it helps in absorption of water from the body. It promotes digestion, prevents infections and corrects indigestion problems. It enhances weight loss and improves immunity.
- Rasana (Pluchea lesiulata)- Rasna helps in abdominal disorders like indigestion, flatulence or loose stools. It improves digestive fire due to hot potency. It helps in reducing colic pain, abdominal distension and bloating
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinalis)- Dry ginger has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It prevents various infections, pain and inflammations in the body. It improves digestion and reduces acidity problems.
- Jiraka (Cuminum cyminum)- Jeera is an aromatic compound which has digestive functioning due to presence of thymol in it. It helps in reducing diarrhoea, loose stools, pain in abdomen like symptoms. It reduces production of gas and boosts immunity.
- Dusparsha (Solanum xanthocarpum)- Kantakari improves digestive fire and corrects all ailments related to digestion. It is hot in potency so it manages indigestion, pain in abdomen and flatulence.
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)- It promotes lower abdominal comfort and GIT disorders. Without aggravating pitta it improves digestion, eliminates toxins from the body. It promotes healthy absorptions and corrects metabolism.
- Yavani (Trachyspermum roxburghii)- Yvani helps in managing abdominal spasms, discomfort, heartburn and indigestion-like symptoms. It promotes appetite by removing toxins from the body, corrects gas, constipation like digestive conditions.
- Dhayanak (Coriandrum sativum)- Coriander aids digestion and corrects diarrhoea, abdominal pain, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome and improves liver health. It improves bloating, abdominal distension and intestinal disorders.
- Jambhira (Lemon juice)- Due to the presence of citric acid it helps in production of gastric juices which aids in digestion. It helps in removing undigested food and aids appetite. It helps in bleeding gums and digestive issues.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Ashta kshari gutika are given as follows-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Keep the drugs in the shade away from direct sunlight for drying.
- Then prepare a fine powder of all ingredients mentioned. (separately)
- Then triturate powder of all drugs with the mardan drugs in a clean vessel.
- Mix the solution properly by continuously stirring it.
- At last prepare the pills of the obtained solution and let them dry in shade.
- After drying these pills should be stored in an airtight glass container.
- This preparation is known as Astaksari gutika.
The properties of Astha kshari gutika are given as following-
- It improves digestive disorders.
- Maintains gut health.
- Increases blood circulation.
- Removes toxins from the body.
- Reduces excessive mucus from the body.
- Controls peristaltic movements.
- It has carminative, analgesic properties.
- Reduces inflammation, prevents infections.
- Act as sedative and tranquilliser.
The various indications are given as following-
- IBS (Irritable Bowel syndrome)
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal distension
- Boosts energy
The conditions when Ashta kshari gutika is not given are as follows-
- pregnant females
- lactating mothers
- Fluid retention
- No recorded side effects are known but must be taken under medical supervision.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
1-2 tablets twice daily.
Lukewarm water, Curd, Honey.
Bitter, Astringent (Tikht, Kashya)
Above mentioned formulation is poly herbal prepared according to classics, mainly it has antidiarrheal effects. This preparation should be taken by proper medical supervision as it contains some minerals also with the herbs. It has deepan (Improves appetite), krimighan (worm infestation) and shulaghan (analgesics) properties. It helps in improving digestion, reduces colic pain, indigestion and if any severity you may concern to the physician.