Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Uttarsthan 37/ 27
There are various preparations which can be prepared from Dasanga such as ghrita, gutika, lehyam, agada, etc, which can be used internally and externally due to its soothing effect. The tablet/ gutika preparation kalpana of kalka (paste) kalpana. So this Dasangam gutika is a poly herbal formulation used for different types of allergic infections. This preparation was first narrated by Acharya Kashyapa and mentioned in texts by Acharya Vagabhata. The dosage of this formulation depends on a person's age, gender and medical history. In this article we will discuss Dasangam gutika composition, method of preparation, properties, indications and dosage.
Dasangam Gutika is a standardised tablet formulation from the classical texts. It is prepared from various herbal drugs for managing any type of insect bite. As the name suggests, Dasangam gutika contains a total number of ten ingredients, primarily it contains vacha (Acorus calamus), hingu (asafoetida), vidanga (Emblica ribes), etc. Traditionally it was termed as Dasangam agad but now its vati or tablets are being prepared. Due to the presence of bitter and astringent ingredients, it was not palatable but tablet forms are easily consumed. It helps in reducing inflammation, redness and swelling from any part of the body. Its main aim is to purify blood and remove all toxins from the body. This tablet has a good analgesic effect and also helps in wound healing.
According to Ayurveda, Dasangam gutika is explained by Acharya Vagbhatta in visha prakaranam for various types of poisoning. Among all dosha(vata, pitta and kapha) it helps in pacifying aggravated vata and pitta dosha. It has laghu guna (lighter quality) and has a hot potency in nature. The classical indication mentioned in texts are given as follows-
- Keetvisha (insect bite)
- Lutavisha (spider bite)
- Sarpa Visha (snake bite)
- Krimi (worm infestations)
- Vrishchik damsh (scorpion bite)
The list of ingredients for preparation of Dasangam gutika are as follows-
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Hingu (Asafoetida)
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)
- Saindava (Rock salt)
- Gaj pippali (Scindapsus officinalis)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)- Vacha has strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties so it reduces pain, inflammation over any part of the body. It also prevents various bacterial and fungal infections due to bitter and sharp properties. Vachs also helps in healing wounds.
- Hingu (Asafoetida)- It has antimicrobial properties so it prevents infections. Hingu helps in repairing skin, removing dark spots and reduces inflammatory changes. It is beneficial in managing pain and balancing vitiated vata and kapha dosha.
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)- Vidanga has very strong anthelmintic and anti microbial effects so it prevents worm infestations or any type of infections. It helps in purification of blood and removes toxins from blood. It reduces inflammation, swelling, pain and related issues.
- Saindava (Rock salt)- Salt corrects metabolism and relieves from any types of muscular spasm, pain. It helps in healing wounds and maintains skin health. It helps in cleansing, strengthening and rejuvenating skin. It manages eczema and dermatitis.
- Gaj pippali (Scindapsus officinalis)- Gajpippali prevents parasite infections and reduces inflammatory changes. It reduces pain, parents from allergic reactions and wound infections. It is also beneficial in rashes, boils and discharge like conditions.
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)- Patha helps in formation of collagen and regeneration of skin cells. It prevents various wound infections and heals any type of wound or ulcer. It reduces swelling and brings back the normal texture of skin. If used with coconut oil reduces inflammation.
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)- Ativisha reduces inflammation, fat accumulation and removes ama (toxins) from the body. It has anti-bacterial, antiviral and immuno modulatory effects. It protects from various digestive, respiratory and dermatological problems.
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis)- Dry ginger boosts skin elasticity and boosts skin hydration levels. It reduces pain as it works on predominant vata and stimulates collagen production which repairs skin tissues. It reduces oxidative stress and helps in healing wounds.
- Marich (Piper nigrum)- Marich has skin rejuvenating property, preventing any type of insect bites. It is hot and pungent in nature, so it removes toxins from the body, act as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Pippali (Piper longum)- Pippali has anti viral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It removes germs from the body and helps in wound healing. It maintains skin functioning and prevents pain, parasites and inflammatory changes.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Dasangam gutika are given as follows-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then make all the drugs dry in the shade away from sunlight.
- After drying make fine powder of the drugs separately as mentioned.
- Then powders are sieved through a clean cotton cloth and all the powders are mixed in a clean vessel.
- Water is added to the powdered mixture and triturated to make it like paste consistency.
- When paste becomes thick in consistency, then prepare small tablets of the mixture.
- Let the tablets dry in shade away from direct sunlight.
- After drying Dasangam tablets are prepared and stored in a clean airtight glass container.
The properties of Dasangam gutika are given as follows-
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Prevents bacterial, viral and fungal infections.
- Has antihistamine activities.
- Helps in blood purification and removing toxins.
- Has strong wound healing properties.
- Reduces pain and itching.
The various indications of Dasangam gutika are given as following-
- Insects bites
- Sting bite
- Insect poisoning
- No such conditions are mentioned when Dasangam gutika is restricted but must be maken under medical supervision.
- Preventions should be taken by pregnant females and lactating mothers.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
1-2 tablets twice a day after meals.
Above mentioned formulation is mentioned in classics, for various insect bite-like allergic reactions. In ancient texts it is explained under the branch of toxicology. It is a poly herbal formulation which can protect from any type of skin infections like spider, scorpion bites or any types of skin allergies but some use it for inflammatory joint disease, wound healing. For such types of dermatological reactions you can administer this preparation and if any severity you must concern the physician.