Reference - Rasa Tarangini 8/ 63-65 AFI Volume 2 (9:2)
Gandhakadya Malahara is a classical formulation which is in the form of ointment used in different types of skin disorders. It is also beneficial for allergic reactions and any type of infection. It is highly effective, safe, easily available, cost effective preparation. For skin conditions some drugs are given internally and this is used locally on skin. In this article, we will discuss about Gandhakadya malahara’s compositions, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Gandhakadya malahara is a paste like preparation from herbs and minerals. It is used to assist in managing skin issues like rashes, ulcers, wounds, foot cracks, etc. It is applied externally to the affected skin areas. Nowadays skin issues are very common and it has great cosmetic concerns. As the name suggests it contains gandhak (Purified sulfur), its prime ingredient. Bee wax or sesame oil is used as a base in this preparation.
According to classics, among all three dosha it mainly acts on pitta and kapha dosha. As the main site of pitta in our body is skin so vitiated pitta causes various skin related issues. The various indications mentioned in classical texts are as given below-
- Paama (eczema)
- Kachu (itching)
- Dadru (rashes)
- Kustha (leprosy)
- Daha (burning)
- Vidar/ paaddari (feet cracks)
- Rukshta (dryness)
The ingredients for preparing Gandhakadya malahara are given below-
- Sikta thailam (sesame oil or beeswax)
- Gandhak (Purifies and processed sulphur)
- Girisindoor (red oxide of mercury)
- Tankan bhasma (Borax)
- Ghana Saar/ camphor (Cinnamomum camphora)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Sikta thailam- It has great wound healing properties and prevents itching. It is very beneficial in dermatitis and ringworm infection. It is used as a base in various formulations like sesame oil.
- Gandhak- It helps in boosting immunity and increases body strength. It has a skin soothing property, reduces acne, pimples. It purifies blood and clears all toxins, impurities from blood. It decreases chances of skin infections.
- Girisindoor- It acts as antiseptic and used in many skin ointments. It helps in healing wounds, ulcers and moistens dry skin. It reduces skin rashes, itchy, scaly patches of different parts of the body.
- Tankan bhasma- It is commonly used for cosmetic concerns and helps in removal of extra oil, dirt, dead skin and bacteria. It reduces swelling, sores and inhibits microbial growth.
- Ghana Saar- It is topically used for relieving pain, irritation and itching. It has a strong odour and taste so it gets easily absorbed in the skin. It prevents skin against bacteria, viruses and fungi. It calms skin and reduces itching, inflammation.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Gandhakadya malahara are stated as following-
- Firstly the base of malahara kalpana is prepared, which is made by melting one part of bee wax with two parts of sesame oil.
- Mix them properly and if any impurities are found then filter it with clean cotton cloth.
- At last all other ingredients (like gandhak, etc) mentioned above are mixed in the base of formulation and mixed well.
- This paste-like formulation prepared is Gandhaka malahara which should be stored in an airtight glass container.
The properties of Gandhakadya malahara are given as following-
- It has antimicrobial properties.
- Have antibacterial, fungal and viral properties.
- It has antiseptic and anti-oxidant properties.
- It has a very strong healing property.
The various indications for of Gandhakadya malahara are given as following-
- Atopic dermatitis
- Tinea infection
- Allergic dermatitis
- Non healing sinus
- Ringworm infection
No such conditions are mentioned when Gandhakadya malahara is avoided.
Dosage / Usage
Externally or locally applied according to the part affected twice daily.
Like Ghrit (Ghee)
As mentioned above, a paste like herbal preparation is beneficial for various types of skin related issues. It is prepared by using beeswax or sesame oil as base. It corrects various dermatological conditions, allergic reactions and hypersensitivity reactions. It is similar to the ointment in modern pharmaceuticals. So this preparation can be used by anyone for skin conditions and if any severity you must concern the physician.