Ayurvedic Treatment For Crest Syndrome With Herbal Remedies
The CREST syndrome is made up of a mixing of five diseases and each letter stands for a different disease. C letter stands for Calcinosis which means calcium deposits in the body such as under the skin, and fingers. R letter stands for Raynaud's phenomenon where due to excessive cold weather and stress the spasm of blood vessels occurs in fingers or toes. E letter stands for Esophageal dysfunction It is a condition where due to acid reflux the motility of the oesophagus decreases. S stands for Sclerodactyly where tightening and thickening of skin occur around fingers and hands resulting in limited mobility and a claw-like appearance. T stands for Telangiectasia where due to the dilation of capillaries red marks are seen on the surface of skin. To diagnose this disease, the symptoms are 2 or 3 out of 5 of CREST disease.
CREST as the name suggests Calcinosis, Raynaud phenomenon, Esophageal dysfunction, Sclerodactyly, and Telangiectasia. It is also known as IcSSc (limited cutaneous form of systemic sclerosis). It is a member of a heterogeneous group of Scleroderma (Systemic Sclerosis) as Scleroderma is an acronym for this syndrome. Scleroderma is derived from Sclera (hard) and derma (skin). Scleroderma is a long-lasting autoimmune disease that results in hardening and thickening of the skin. If left untreated the disease is associated with lung and heart problems. CREST syndrome is a type of scleroderma that is slow in progress and in later stages involves organ involvement.
The CREST syndrome has an unknown cause but some risk factors are there that cause CREST-
- A typical immune activity
- Environmental factors
- Exposure to chemical or radiation
The CREST syndrome involves the following symptoms-
- Swelling in the joints
- Stiffness in joints
- Dysphagia due to esophageal deformity
- Calcific nodules under the skin
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pulmonary fibrosis (scarring of the lungs that affects breathing)
- Heart problems
- Kidney problems
- Swelling and inflammation in hands or face
- Pain in hands and feet
- Badly healing wounds
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle stiffness
- Itchy skin
- Persistent cough
- Hardening and discoloration of skin
- Disturbance in voice
- Serum blood test - To check the Anti centromere antibodies
- Urine analysis
- Doppler echocardiography
- Antinuclear antibody testing
- Check the skin for its colour and appearance
- Serum creatinine test
- Complete Blood test
- Lung function test - To check breathing problems
- MRI (magnetic resonance imagining) scan
- CT (computerised tomography) scan
- EMG (Electromyography)
- Nerve conduction studies
In CREST syndrome the disease involves many functions of the body according to symptoms the treatment is done-
- The main aim of the treatments is -
- To limit the progression of disease
- Reduce inflammation
- And improve the function and quality of life of patients
- If sclerosis progresses, stronger immunosuppressants can be given
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- To prevent the hardening of the skin colchicine and D-penicillamine can be given
- Calcium channel blockers
- Antihypertensive agents
- Histamine H2 antagonists
- Phosphodiesterase enzyme inhibitors
Ayurveda Aspects For Crest Syndrome
In Ayurveda, the CREST syndrome is correlated with the Uttana Vatarakta which is a part of vatarakta. It is situated between the twak and mamsa. In vatarakta, the vata dosha dominates and causes severe symptoms in the body. Acharya Sushrat is considered under the Vatagata vyadhi but Acharya charaka explained it is due to dusti of vata and rakta dosha.
Uttana Vatarakta in च.चि.२९।२०
"कण्डू दाह रुग आयाम तोद स्फुरण कुच्ञनैः
अन्विता श्यावरक्ता त्वग्बाहो ताम्रा तथेष्यते"
As Uttana vatarakta is situated between the twak and mamsa. Itching, burning sensation, pain, distension, and shrinkage of organs and twak will be shyam, rakta, and Tamra varna.
Place Of Vatarakta In The Body
- Both the hands and legs
- All fingers
- All joints
Causes Of Vatarakta
The causes of Vatarakta are described below-
- Excessive intake of Lavan (salty) substances
- Excessive intake of Amla (sour) substances
- Excessive intake of Kshara (alkaline) substances
- Excessive intake of Katu (pungent) substances
- Excessive intake of Snigdha (oily) substances
- Excessive intake of Suskha (dry) substances
- Excessive intake of Ushna (hot) substances
- Intake of Dadhi (curd)
- Intake of Ikshu (sugarcane)
- Intake of Takra (buttermilk)
- Use of Kulattha daal (Horse gram), and Masha daal (Black gram)
Pathophysiology Of Vatarakta
The vata dosha obstructs the channels and vitates the rakta dosha and later on vitates rakta dosha affecting the whole body and causes symptoms in the body. In later stages, the pitta and kapha dosha join the vata and rakta dosha and make this condition very serious.
Samprapti Ghatk Of Vatarakta
- Dosha - Vata, Rakta
- Dooshya - Rakta, Twak and Mamsa
- Adhistan - Raktavaha srotas
- Avyava - Twak, Mamsa, Sandhi, and both the Hands and legs, all joints
Symptoms Of Vatarakta
The Vatarakta involves the following symptoms-
- Burning sensation
- Stretching of skin
- Stretching in hands, fingers, and joints
- Discoloration in skin
- Intolerance to cold
The Vatarakta involves the Sodhna and Shaman chikitsa.
1. The Sodhna chikitsa (Purification therapy) involves the following
- Abhyanga - Oil massage with herbal medicines
- Lepa (external application of medicines)
- Swedana - Provides heat to the body
- Upnaha - Apply the warm herbal paste on the body
- Basti (Enema)
2. The shaman chikitsa (pacifying treatment) involves the following
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Manibhadra Gulam
- Maharasnadi kashayam
- Manjishtadi kashayam
- Eat easily digestible food
- Avoid cold weather exposure
- Avoid hard, hot, and cold food
- Mild regular exercises
- Yoga - Pranayam and, Anulom Vilom
Herbal Remedies For CREST Syndrome By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is GMP-certified. The CREST Syndrome involves the vata dosha and obstructs the channels. The Planet Ayurveda provides herbal remedies to cure the CREST. Products are 100% natural and safe without any side effects. The products are prepared under the guidance of M.D. Ayurveda experts with a pure vegetarian formula and without any type of preservatives, chemicals, fillers, yeast, binders, adulterants, and chemicals. Planet Ayurveda provides the following remedies for CREST.
- ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULES
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- GOTU KOLA CAPSULES
- SANJIVANI VATI
- GANDHAK RASAYAN
- SINHNAAD GUGGUL
- PANCHTIKTAKA GHRIT
- Ashwagandha Capsules – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water.
- Boswellia Curcumin – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water.
- Gotu Kola Capsules – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water.
- Sanjivani Vati – 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
- Sinhnaad Guggul - 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
- Panchtiktaka Ghrit - 1 teaspoon twice daily with warm water.
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
The Ashwagandha capsules are made up of a single extraction of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha). It has antioxidant properties so helps in improving the immune system of the body. It also has an antiinflammatory property which reduces swelling and pain of joints. It improves muscle strength and mass so helps to reduce muscle pain and stiffness. It relieves stress, improves the immune system of the body, and helps in digestion.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
The Boswellia curcumin capsules are made up of Boswellia serrata (Shallaki), and Curcumin longa (Curcumin). It helps in maintaining the overall health of joints. Curcumin helps to remove joint pain and inflammation, and it also improves skin discoloration and swelling. Shallaki helps to reduce joint pain and inflammation as it has anti-inflammatory properties and prevents breakage of cartilage which helps in swelling of joints.
3. Gotu Kola Capsules
The Gotu kola capsules are made up of standardised extracts of Gotu kola (Centella asiatica). The herbs contain anti-inflammatory properties and it reduces the swelling, inflammation, and pain in joints. It also improves blood circulation in the body and it improves the metabolism of the body which helps in the overall health of joints. It improves blood supply to wounds, helps the wounds in healing, calms the skin around it and improves the skin texture. It contains laghu guna so helps in digestion and absorption.
4. Sanjivani Vati
The Sanjivani vati tablets are a mixture of Guduchi herb (Tinospora cordifolia), purified Semecarpus anacardium (Shuddh Bhallataka), purified Aconitum ferox (Shuddh Vatsnaabh), and many more herbs. Guduchi contains anti-inflammatory properties so helps to reduce pain and inflammation of joints and muscles. Vidang contains deepan and pachan properties, it improves appetite and digestion process, and also improves skin complexion. Vacha contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and analgesic properties so helps to prevent skin infection and reduces pain and inflammation of joints. Amla is rich in vitamin C and calcium so reduces joint pain and swelling.
5. Gandhak Rasayan
The Gandhak rasayan tablets are made up of purified Sulphur (Shuddh Gandhak). It helps to reduce itching, redness, and swelling of the skin. It also reduces pain and swelling of joints. As sulphur is the third most common mineral in our body and helps in making glucosamine and collagen formation which helps in making healthy joints and bones. It contains anti-inflammatory properties which protect the cartilage from damage and help in bone health.
6. Sinhnaad Guggul
The Sinhnaad guggul tablets are made up of the extraction of Amla, Shudh Guggulu, Shudh Gandhak, and other herbs. The herbs are natural, pure, and made up of pure vegetarian formula. Haritaki contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties so it inhibits the activity of inflammatory proteins and reduces pain, swelling, and inflammation, and gives comfort to the patients. Bibhitaki regulates the arachidonic acid pathway and pro-inflammatory cytokines which help in reducing inflammation, and pain in joints. Amla contains calcium which reduces pain and swelling in joints.
7. Panchtiktaka Ghrit
The Panchtiktaka ghrit contains a mixture of Patola Patra (Trichosanthes diocia), Nimba Twak (Azadirachta indica), Saptaparna Twak (Alstonia scholaris), cow ghee and many other herbs. Patol patra has anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties which are useful in treating skin disease. Nimba relieves muscle aches and joint pain. Amla is rich in calcium, Bibhitaki regulates pro-inflammatory cytokines, and Haritaki has anti-inflammatory and oxidant properties; these three herbs help in reducing joint pain, swelling, and inflammation.
CREST syndrome is an acronym for scleroderma which is an autoimmune disease. The exact cause of CREST syndrome is unknown but some risk factor is that causes CREST. In Ayurveda, the Uttana Vatrakta is described in which as vata and rakta dosha dusti occur it leads to Uttana Vatarakta which is a part of Vatarakta. The disease symptoms are present according to the severity of the disease. In patients of vatarakta, there is stiffness in muscles and joints, swelling and inflammation of joints, discoloration of joints, itching and redness of the skin are the common symptoms. Planet Ayurveda offered an herbal remedy to cure the CREST without any side effects. The formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda are Ashwagandha Capsules, Boswellia Curcumin, Gotu Kola Capsules, Sanjivani Vati, Gandhak Rasayan, Sinhnaad Guggul, and Panchtiktaka Ghrit.