AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER
ABOUT BIPOLAR DISORDER
Bipolar Disorder is also known as manic depressive illness or manic depression. It is brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity level and ability.
These are categorized into four basic types all of them involve clear changes in mood. These mood swings are extremely change from periods like "up", elated and energized behavior (known as manic episodes) to very sad, "down" or hopeless periods (known as depressive periods). Rare manic periods are known as hypomanic episodes.
AYURVEDIC VIEW ON BIPOLAR DISORDER
In ayurveda text, there is no specific type of disease is mentioned. In Charak Samhita there is description of Unmada i.e. insanity, which affects mind, intelligence, perception, knowledge, behavioral activities and performance. This describes five type of Unmada which depends upon symptoms and involvement of dosha which can be correlated with bipolar disorder.
As per ayurveda, in this disorder the person is prone to vata imbalance and low ojas. Vata governs the movement, brain and nervous system, on the other side ojas signifies the immunity, strength and ability.
Bipolar Disorder is occurring due to imbalance of three fundamental biological qualities (vata, pitta and kapha) along with qualities of consciousness (sattva, rajas and tamas).
BIPOLAR DISORDER SYMPTOMS
Bipolar Disorder Symptoms look different in different persons. There are four episodes of this disorder such as mania, hypomania, depression and mixed episodes. The symptoms are different in different episodes.
According to ayurveda, the symptoms may vary according to system involved such as if vata is involved (excitement, talkativeness, impulsive over sleep, racing thoughts), if Pitta is involved (Aggression or anger, over confidence, irritability, less sleep, hyperactivity), if Kapha is involved (low feeling, lack of enthusiasm, sadness, loss f appetite, lethargy, excess sleeping, inactivity).
Common Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in females:
- Mood swings like excitement or sad
- Loss of weight or appetite
- Sleep problems
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feeling hopeless
- Thought of death or suicide (in depression).
- Delusions and hallucinations (in severe cases).
BIPOLAR DISORDER CAUSES
The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown but it may be caused by any reason such as:-
- Neurotransmitter imbalance like glutamate, dopamine
- Genetic factor
- Psychological factors like stress
- Medications like anti depressants
- Disease like neurological disorders, diabetes
- Substance abuse
- Sleep deprivation
- Seasonal changes
As per ayurveda, overexcitement is due to aggravation of vata and depression is due to pitta. Vata imbalance is the main doshic principle behind bipolar disorder as highly aggravated vata leads to fear, isolation, anxiety, palpitations, nervous breakdown, mood swings, insomnia, tremors and instability. Besides the imbalance in dosha, low ojas aggravates the state of bipolar disorder as low confidence and immunity allows mood swings with vata imbalance (stressful conditions vitilates vata dosha easily).
BIPOLAR DISORDER RISK FACTORS
Sometimes if a person has bipolar disorder that may also have other health problems like:-
- Other health problems such as heart disease, thyroid problem, obesity etc.
BIPOLAR DISORDER COMPLICATIONS
If this problem is left untreated then it may results in serious problems like:-
- Financial problems
- Legal problems
- Relationship troubles
- Poor work performance
BIPOLAR DISORDER DIAGNOSIS
Diagnosis of bipolar disorder includes:-
- Physical exam and lab test- It helps to identify the medical history of person.
- Psychological evaluation- It helps to find the thoughts and behavioural studies of person with the help of family members and friends.
- Symptoms in daily life.
- Family history.
- In ayurveda, diagnosis based on prakruti of person (body constitution).
- History of vikruti (doshic imbalance).
- Level of ojas and confidence.
- Level of mental principles (sattva, rajas and tamas).
BIPOLAR DISORDER TREATMENT
There are number of pharmacological and psychological treatment for management of bipolar disorder. It includes counselling along with medication that may help to treat bipolar disorder but there are side effects of medications used in depression such as diarrhoea, vomiting, dizziness etc.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda provides effective herbal remedies such as Brahmi Capsules, Stress support & Medhya churna for ayurvedic treatment for Bipolar Disorder. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
This is most effective natural supplement which is obtained from Bacopa monnieri belongs to family Plantaginceae.
- It nourishes brain and helps in bringing coordination between nervous system and daily activity.
- It is helpful in all type of mood disorders. It is also helpful in relieving anxiety, stress and mental fatigue. It also acts as memory booster.
DOSE - 1-2 Capsules twice daily after meal with plain water.
This is special capsule that is a mixture of natural ingredients named as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), and Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). It helps to reduce stress.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) - It is also known as Indian ginseng. It is very beneficial fir the nervous syetem. This herb possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, immunomodulatory, antioxidant properties. It is useful in increase mental and physical performance.
- Tagar (Valeriana wallichii) - It is also called Indian valerian belongs to family valerianaceae which is native to India, Nepal and China. It helps to calming down nervous system. It helps to relieve stress, depression and anxiety.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnoieri) - It is perennial creeping herb belongs to family Plantaginceae. It is native to wetlands of Southern India, Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa and North and South America. It is effective in reducing stress and anxiety. It has positive effect on nervous system. It enhances physical and mental performance. It is quite useful in various mental illnesses. It calms down nervous system and fight against depression. It maintains the coordination between nervous system components.
DOSE- 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- It is best supplement to maintain healthy brain.
- It helps to improve memory, concentration.
- It has positive effect on nervous system, immune system.
- It makes brain sharp.
It is mixture of different herbs in different quantity as mentioned below:
|S. No.||International Name||Common Name||Parts||Quantity|
|1.||Acorus calamus||Vacha||Roots||50 gm|
|2.||Withania somnifera||Ashwagandha||Roots||5 gm|
|3.||Carum roxburghianum||Ajmoda||Seeds||5 gm|
|4.||Cuminum cyminum||Shwet Jeerak||Seeds||5 gm|
|5.||Carum carvi||Krishna Jeerak||Seeds||5 gm|
|6.||Zingiber officinale||Sonth||Rhizome||5 gm|
|7.||Piper nigrum||Marich||Fruits||5 gm|
|8.||Piper longum||Pipali||Fruits||5 gm|
|9.||Cissampelos pareira||Patha||Whole||5 gm|
|10.||Convolvulus pluricaulis||Shankhpushpi||Whole||5 gm|
|11.||Bacopa monneiri||Brahmi||Whole||5 gm|
DOSE - 1 pinch of powder twice daily or 1 gram twice daily.
GUIDELINES FOR BIPOLAR PATIENTS
There are some guidelines in diet and lifestyle for bipolar patients:
- Take proper sleep
- Exercise, yoga, meditation are also helpful.
- Take food that pacifies vata (sweet, sour and salty as well as warm).
- Take medicated ghee (Brahmi ghrit).
- Always take fresh fruits, juices and vegetables.