Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
Brihat Saindhavadi Taila (Oil) is an herbal formulation in the form of an oil. It is helpful in the managing rheumatoid arthritis, low back ache and injury to joints etc. This oil is prepared with Castor oil as its base. It helps in balancing vata.
- Saindhava Lavana (Rock salt)
- Shreyasi (Scindapsus officinalis)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa)
- Yamani (Trachyspermum ammi)
- Sarjika (Swarjika Kshara)
- Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Dried ginger (Zingiber officinalis)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Sauvarchala (Sochal salt)
- Vida salt
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Ajamoda (Carum roxburghianum)
- Madhuka (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Cumin (Cuminum cyminum)
- Pushkara (Inula racemosa)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Eranda taila (Ricinus communis oil)
- Shatapupsha ambu (Anethum sowa)
- Kanji (Fermented gruel)
- Mastu (Yogurt/Curd water)
Method of Preparation
All the ingredients are mixed and boiled till total moisture is lost from the oil, filtered. The filtrate is then stored in a clean bottle away from heat, light and moisture.
Method of Usage
It is also used for oral administration in a dose of 1 – 5 ml, before meals with lukewarm water.
It is used for external application, massage etc.
- Low backache
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Abdominal colic
- Ankylosing spondylosis
- Musculo-skeletal diseases.
- There are no known side effects with this oil on external application.
- Over-dosage of oral intake may lead to diarrhea.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children. Store in a cool dry place.