Reference: Ashtanga Hridaya Chikitsa Sthana 12/19-23
Dhanwantaram Ghritam is an ayurvedic medicine, in herbal ghee form. This Ayurvedic medicine is used to treat the diseases like skin, diabetic, toxic conditions and psychotic diseases. It balances the pitta and kapha doshas.
48 grams of each of:-
- Dashamoola - Group of ten roots - Bilva, Agnimantha, Shyonaka, Gambhari, Patala, Shalaparni, Prishnaparni, Gokshura, Brihati, Kantakari,
- Shati - Hedychium spicatum
- Danti - Baliospermum montanum
- Surahva - Cedrus deodara
- Shweta and rakta punarnava - Boerhaavia diffusa
- Snuk mula - Euphorbia neriifolia
- Arkamula - Calotropis procera
- Pathya - Terminalia chebula
- Bhu Kadamba - Sphaeranthus Indicus
- Arushkara - Semecarpus anacardium
- karanjamoola - Pongamia pinnata
- Varuna moola - Crataeva nurvala
- Pippalimoola - Long pepper root
- Paushkara - Inula racemosa
- Yava - Horedum vulgare
- Kola - Zizyphus jujuba
- Kulattha - Horse gram - Dolichos biflorus
- Water for decoction - 112.896 ml, boiled and reduced to 28.224 liters
11.63 grams of each of:-
- Pippali - Long pepper - Piper longum
- Gajapippali - Piper chaba
- Chavya - Piper chaba
- Vacha - Acorus calamus
- Nichula - arringtonia acutangula
- Rohisha - Cymbopogon martinii
- Trivrit - Operculina turpethum
- Vidanga - Embelia ribes
- Kampillaka - Mallotus philippinensis
- Bharngi - Clerodendron serratum
- Bilva - Aegle marmelos
- Ghrita - ghee - 768 ml
Method of Preparation
The above combination is heated till herbal ghee is prepared.
- Toxic conditions
- Diabetic carbuncle
- Skin diseases
Take quarter to half teaspoon with water, usually before food, once or twice a day, or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- There are no known side effects with this medicine.
- It is best to use this product under medical supervision. Self-medication with this medicine is discouraged.
- High dosage of this medicine may cause diarrhoea and indigestion.
- People with diabetes, high cholesterol, heart diseases and high BP should exercise precaution.