CHITRAKASAVAM - INGREDIENTS, INDICATIONS, BENEFITS AND USES
Chitrakasavam is a polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation. It is also known as Gomutrasavam. This medicine is indicated in the treatment of the skin diseases. It is prepared from cow’s urine, chitrak, trikatu and honey. The urine of Indian Cow or Go mutra has many therapeutic uses, which is the main ingredient of this medicine.
- Go Mutra (Cow Urine)
- Chitrak (Plumbago Zeylanica)
- Sonth (Zingiber Officinale)
- Marich (Piper Nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper Longum)
- Madhu (Honey)
BENEFITS OF INGREDIENTS
1. Go Mutra (Cow urine) – The Cow urine has been used from ancient times for curing many ailments of human beings. It is an important and essential part of Panchgavya Chikitsa. According to Ayurveda, it is used for the treatment of skin disorders, abdominal disorders and Tumors
2. Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica) – The roots of Chitrak is used for the treatment of various diseases related to digestive system such as impaired or weak digestion, diarrhoea, piles, abdominal pain and skin diseases.
3. Trikatu – Trikatu is useful in both digestive and respiratory ailments.It reduces Vata and Kapha dosha.It consists of three herbs Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum) and Pippali, Piper longum).
4. Sonth (Zingiber officinale) – Sonth is a well-known remedy that is useful for treating many common digestive and respiratory ailments. Sonth stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes. It also relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract. Ginger can be very helpful for relieving excessive gas, indigestion, and flatulence.
5. Marich (Piper nigrum) – Marich has carminative properties and used in flatulence, gas, bloating and indigestion. It also improves appetite and treats anorexia.
6. Pippali (Piper longum) – Pippali is most renowned for its effectiveness against conditions affecting your respiratory tract, like cold, cough, bronchitis, and asthma. It stimulates your digestive system and eliminates the morbid material and boosts your appetite due to its carminative properties.
7. Madhu (Honey) – Honey is rich in nutrients and antioxidant properties. It is used in this asvam to promote the fermentation process.
Reference – Ashtang Hridyum Chikitsa Sathana 20/8
METHOD OF PREPARATION
All these ingredients are taken in a coarse powder form and mixed with water. A mud pot smeared with ghee is taken and the above mixture is poured into it. The mud pot is kept undisturbed for 15 days. The sugar content - honey undergoes fermentation and after 15 days the mixture is filtered and ready to use.
This herbal formulation is rich in nutrients and used to treat bleeding piles, improves appetite and skin diseases like leucoderma.
BENEFITS OF CHITRAKASAVAM
1. Anaemia - Chitrakasavam has been found to correct the nutritional deficiencies and helps in treating anaemia. It has a favourable effect on the digestive tract and boosts its functions thus promoting the breakdown, absorption, and assimilation of food. This ensures that the nutrients consumed by a person are absorbed into the blood, which helps to prevent the deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
2. Digestive Diseases - Chitrakasavam is indicated in the treatment of piles and edema. It improves digestion and prevents constipation, which is the major cause of piles. It reduces the symptoms of piles like blood in stools, pain while passing stools, and the protrusion of mass through the anus.
3. Chitrakasavam is used in the treatment of several skin diseases. It is particularly useful for treating Leucoderma. This medicine contains pure natural herbs that have been used for centuries to prevent the acute exacerbations of this disease.
Dose – 12 To 25 ml Once or Twice Daily as suggested by Physician.