Chopchini (Smilax China) - Uses & Health Benefits
(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
According to above mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu chopchini (Smilax china) is an herb that comes from another country and it resemble like rhizome of vacha (acorus calamus).
In Ayurveda this herb is used for its various medicinal values. Roots of this miraculous plant are analgesic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, stimulant, carminative, laxative and tonic in nature. It is also very beneficial herb for treating venerable disorders and various skin related disorders.
Yellow coloured dye is obtained from the leaves of smilax china that is used for commercial purposes. Roots of this plant are dry and very light in nature. Roots possesses bitter taste and hot potency. Chopchini works wonderfully in pacification of all three doshas - vata, pitta and kapha.
According to bhavprakash nighantu this herb works miraculously to treat secondary and tertiary stage of syphilis.
Smilax china is evergreen and deciduous shrub that grows about 10mt in height. Green leaves of this plant are heart shaped varying in size from 5-30cm in different species. Flowers are joined together to form a cluster and white green in colour. Plant of smilax china produce round berries that are red to blue-black in colour. Diameter of the fruit is 5-10mm, rubbery in texture and contains a big single seed inside. Flowering season of this plant is May-June.
Smilax china is basically native to china, Korea, Taiwan and japan. Now it is wildly distributed in forests, hillsides and shaded places along valleys in India, Vietnam, Philippines, Vietnam and Myanmar.
- Latin name - Smilax china
- English name - China root
- Hindi name - Chopchini, Chobchini, Toupchini
- Mizoram name - Kaitha
- Tamil name - Ayadi
- Malayalam name - Kaltamara
- Marathi name - Ghotvel
- Telugu name - Kondadantena
- Kannada name - Kaadu hambu
- Bengali name - Kumarika
- Oriya name - Mootrilata
Uses of Chopchini (Smilax china)
- Chopchini is boiled in milk with other herbs mastagi (pistacia lentiscus), elachi (cardamom) and dalchini (cinnamon) are used to treat rheumatoid, gout, epilepsy, chronic vata disorders, thinness and third stage of syphilis.
- Chopchini and anantmool (hemidesmus indicus) is used to treat chronic headaches. Both herbs are good for treating gout and syphilis.
- It is very effective rasayana and very effective remedy for skin disorders.
- It is also very beneficial herb for gonorrhoea. It is good in second and third stage of syphilis.
- This herb is best used in the form of powder.
Health Benefits of Chopchini (Smilax china)
- Swedal - Chopchini is very effective herb that helps to open blocked sweat pores and stimulate the process of sweating and due to these properties of this herb it fight against various skin infections.
- Snehan - This herb is also beneficial in the process of oleation in body. It is basically used to lubricate body and used to treat various vata dosha related disorders.
- Rasyana - Chopchini is also used as rasyana. It helps to rejuvenate and to promote longevity. This herb helps to rejuvenate body cells and helps to maintain the molecular life of cells in body.
- Raktshodak - Chopchini is also used as blood purifier. It helps to remove toxins and impurities of blood and helps to treat various skin disorders.
- Balya - Chopchini is also very beneficial herb that is used to improve internal strength and cellular level of body.
- Firanghara - This herb is good for treating venerable disorders. It is very effective herb that is gives good results in second and third stage of syphilis.
According to bhavprakash nighantu
According to above mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu diupanter vacha is Sanskrit name of chopchini. This herb is bitter in taste and hot in potency. It is used to stimulate digestive fire and very effective herb to treat constipation, abdominal distention and severe abdominal pain. It is used to eliminate wastes of urines and faeces. This herb is very effective for treating body aches and works on aggravated vata dosha. It is good for treating epilepsy, delirium, mental disorders and it is beneficially used to treat syphilis.
The bhavprakash nighantu edited by Dr. gangasahay pandey and elaborated with Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna chander chunnekar: edition 2010; page number- 46 and verse number- 108 and 109.
Medicinal Uses of Chopchini (Smilax china)
- Chopchini is very effective cardio tonic that is used to treat various heart related disorder.
- It also used as stimulant for digestive system and good for promoting process of digestion.
- It is also carminative and laxative in nature and good for the sufferers of constipation.
- Anti-rheumatic nature of this herb is used to reduce inflammation and pain in gout and rheumatoid.
- Chopchini is also used as effective analgesic in nature.
- It is also good for treating digestive problems, live problems.
- It is also used to treat various skin related disorders like psoriasis and eczema etc.
- It is also used as diuretic that is used to improve frequency and volume of urine.
- It is also good for the treatment of impotency and semen related problems.
- It is good herb to control sexually transmitted disorders.
Dosage of Chopchini (Smilax china)
- Powder of chopchini and saunth with milk - 2-4 gm.
- Chopchini tincture - 1-3ml.
Other Types of Smilax
1. Smilax macrophylla
Smilax macrophylla is perennial large and extensive climber. Kumarika is the name of smilax macrophylla. It belongs to smilacaceae family of smilax genus. Fruits of this plant are round and red coloured berries. Flowering and fruiting season of this plant is month of august. It is distributed in India, Myanmar and Vietnam.
Uses of Smilax Macrophylla
- Paste prepared by the root powder of this herb is used to reduce inflammation and pain of rheumatoid.
- This herb is also very beneficial for treating urinary tract related infections and diseases.
- Smilax macrophylla is also very beneficial for treating venereal diseases and also gives good results in sufferers of chronic dysentery.
2. Smilax Glabra
Rhizome of smilax glabra is used in Ayurveda for various diseases due to its various medicinal properties. Smilax glabra is basically a woody and rhizomatous climber. It is deciduous plant that belongs to smilacaceae family of smilax genus. Average height of plant of smilax glabra is about 3m. This plant is wildly distributed in near sea lands of India, china, Nepal, china and Thailand.
Uses of Smilax Glabra
- Rhizome of this plant contains nine different bio-active chemical compounds that are anti-inflammatory in nature. Due to all these anti-inflammatory properties this herb is well known for treating arthritis. Inflammation is the major cause of any type of infections, injuries and other serious disorders.
- Smilax glabra also helps to supress the growth of cancerous cells and protect body organs from the risk of cancer.
- It is used to stimulate body's immunity and also good for fighting against various infections.
- It is also used to reduce high level of glucose level in body.
- It is also good for digestive system and also good for purification of blood.
3. Smilax lanceifolia
Smilax lanceifolia is deciduous climber that grows up to 2mt in height. Useful parts of this plant is leaves and fruits. It is found in dense forests of India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. In India it is wildly distributed in Himalayan region, Assam and Manipur. Flowering season of this plant is from September to March and fruiting season is from November to March.
Uses of Smilax lanceifolia
- Fresh juice of roots of smilax lanceifolia is used to treat rheumatoid.
- Root powder is applied in the form of paste joints to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Methanolic acid present in the leaves of this plant is known for its analgesic and anti-bacterial activities.
- Other phytochemicals present in this plant are used to reduce high blood sugar level.
4. Smilax ornate
Smilax ornate is a perennial herb and common name of this herb is sarsaparilla. Basically this herb is native of Mexico and Central America. Roots and rhizome of this plant is used to prepare various medicines.
Uses of Smilax ornate
- Roots of this plant is used to treat arthritis and rheumatoid.
- It is also beneficial for treating leprosy and other skin related infectious conditions like psoriasis, eczema, pimples and chronic skin disorders.
- It is also good for treating syphilis.
- It is used as flavouring agent to flavour various soft drinks.
- Diuretic nature of roots of this plant helps to treat various disorders associated with urinary tract.