(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
Juniperus is very amazing and miraculous herb of Ayurveda used to treat various health ailments because of its beneficial medicinal properties. Berries of the plant are mostly used to prepare natural and herbal medicines. The pure extract of berries is also used as a flavoring agent for various foods and drinks.
Juniperus is used to treat various problems and underlying symptoms that are associated with the digestive system. It is a great appetizer and very effective medicine for gastro intestinal problems. Its anti-microbial and anti-oxidant properties help to fight against various infectious conditions inside and outside our body.
Essential oil obtained from this effective herb is also used as a flavoring agent for perfumes and also used in the preparation of cosmetics, soaps, and creams.
Juniper is an evergreen shrub or medium-sized tree that contains wide spreading branches. Branches of this plant are pointed upward at the angle of 45 degrees from the ground level. Needle like leaves of the plant are placed in whorls of three and are linear, sharp and about 5-10mm long. The reddish-brown stem of the plant is totally hidden by the vast spread foliage. Green fruits of the plant take 2-3 three years to ripen and on maturity, these fruits turn to dark brownish-black berries.
Basically, juniper is native to Asia and India but it is wildly distributed in Europe and North America. In India, it is found in the Himalayas at the altitude of 1500- 4000mts. It is also found in Austria, Germany Afghanistan, and North Africa.
- Latin name - Juniperus communis
- English name - Juniper
- Hindi name - Hauber
- Marathi name - Hosha
- Urdu name - Abhal
- French name - Geneverier
- German name - Wacholder
- Dutch name - Jeneverbes
- Italian name - Ginepro
- Spanish name - Enebro
- Arabic name - Abhal
According to bhavprakash nighantu
According to the above mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu two types of Hauber are explained, the first type of Hauber is like the shape of fish and has mango like the smell and the second type of Hauber is like the fruit of peepal (Ficus religiosa) and smell like fish.
Haupusha, haubusha, and visa are the names of the first type of Hauber and ashwatfala, mtsyagandha and dhwanshnashini
There are the various synonyms of the second type of Hauber.
The first type of Hauber is pungent and astringent in taste, digestive in nature, hot in potency, heavy after digestion and used to treat Vata dosha. This type of Hauber is used to treat piles, abdominal, and severe abdominal pain. All the properties of the second type are similar to the first type but it differs in shape and smell of berries.
The bahavprkash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna Chander chunnekar and edited by Dr. Gangasahay Pandey: edition 2010; page number - 49 and verse number - 109-110.
Uses of Hauber (Juniperus Communis)
- Hauber is a very effective diuretic herb. It works wonderfully on kidneys and helps to increase both frequency and volume of urine.
- This herb is very beneficial for treating cardiomegaly, hepatomegaly and also good for treating inflammations of kidneys.
- In sufferers of ascites (jalodar) Hauber is used with another herb and it helps to reduce accumulated water naturally in case of ascites.
- Hauber and madyasaar are used to treat abdominal distention, indigestion, and severe abdominal pain.
- Oil prepared from this essential herb is stimulant, diuretic and helps to pacify Vata dosha in the body. This oil is also used to stimulate uterine contractions.
- Hauber is used to gaining weight and used to increase the loss of appetite in children suffering from tuberculosis.
- A paste of Hauber herb is applied to reduce pain in inflammation of gout.
Health Benefits of Hauber (Juniperus Communis)
- Mutrajanak - This herb is a very effective diuretic that helps to improve functions of kidneys and helps to stimulate the process of urination. It also helps to reduce external and internal inflammation of body organs.
- Sujaak and Shweta Prader - This herb is also beneficial for treating gonorrhea and leucorrhoea.
- Sandhisoth - External application of oil prepared from this herb is a very effective remedy for treating severe inflammation and stiffness of joints.
- Shwaas and Jiran shwasnika soth - This herb is again an amazing herbal remedy for respiratory tract related problems. It helps to pacify kapha dosha and excrete out phlegm and give relief in asthma and bronchitis. It is also good to reduce inflammation of the respiratory tract and lungs.
- Artavjanak - Regular use of this herb helps to aid with various menstrual problems. It helps to improve the flow of menstruation and also good for treating painful menses.
- Madhumeha - This herb is good for diabetic sufferers also as it helps to promote the health of the pancreas and also good to control the secretion of insulin in the body.
- Charmroga - Externally this herb is used to treat various irritation, rashes, and other skin problems.
- Udarroga - Juniper is used to stimulate the digestive system and fight against various problems associated with this system.
- Yakrit - paleeha vikara - Regular use of juniper helps to treat hepatic and splenomegaly. It helps to reduce inflammation of both the organs and helps to stimulate healthy functions of this essential system of human body.
- Powder - 2-6gm
- Oil - ½ -1 drop for digestion
- Oil - 4-6 drops as diuretic
- Decoction - 50-100ml.
Medicinal Properties of Hauber (Juniperus Communis)
- Hauber is a very powerful diuretic in nature. This herb works effectively on kidneys and helps to reduce excessive edema in a body by increasing the frequency and volume of urine. Rather than this, it is used to reduce inflammation of the urinary bladder and also used to treat renal stones and its underlying symptoms.
- Berries of the plant are used to pacify vitiated Vata dosha in the body. It is used to treat pain and inflammation of joints naturally. It good for treating rheumatism, gout, and arthritis.
- Expectorant nature of this herb makes it potent for treating respiratory tract related problems. This herb is used to excrete out extra phlegm and congestion and give relief in cold, cough and asthma. It is also good for sufferers of a sore throat, sinusitis, and common colds.
- Oil prepared from this herb is used to stimulate our immune system. It helps to fight against various free radicals and toxins and protect our body cells from the harmful reaction of bacteria, virus and other micro-organisms.
- It is also nutritious in nature. Hauber is used in salads to give strength and nourishment to body cells.
- Stomachic nature of this herb helps to improve digestion and also aid with various problems associated with a digestive system like abdominal distention, indigestion, flatus, bloating and severe abdominal pain.
- For females, this herb is also very good for treating uterine system related problems. It helps to improve the volume of menstrual blood and helps to relieve cramps and killing pain during menstruation.
- An external paste of this herb is good for quick healing of ulcers and wounds.
- This herb is also good for treating heartburn and externally this herb is good for sufferers of eczema, gonorrhea and irritating skin.
- Berries of this plant are used to treat ear pain and various infections associated with internal ear.
Though this herb is beneficial for kidneys as it helps to stimulate the process of urination but a higher dose of this herb act as an irritant for renal system.Share with your friends: