AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF CONJUNCTIVITIS
Eyes are the essential organ of our body. Without eye no one can see the world. Proper care of eyes should be done. Nowadays people suffer from too many eye problems, skin problems etc. due to increase in pollution. Conjunctivitis is most common eye problem which is also known as Pink Eye. In this condition, inflammation of conjunctiva is there. Conjunctiva is thin transparent layer around the eye ball which protects the inner layer (white portion) of eye ball. It may affect one or both the eyes. It is common viral infection which can be managed with the help of natural herbs like Haridra, Neemand Ashwagandha. There are many herbal drugs made from these herbs which are useful in management of eye problems such as Aller- G care capsules, vara churna (eye wash).
What is Conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is the inflammation or swelling of conjunctiva. It is minor infection which may affect one or both eyes. Due to allergic reaction the small blood vessels of eye will get inflamed which are visible that makes your eyes looks pink or reddish in color.
Types of Conjunctivitis
It can be divided into different types which are explained below:-
- Allergic conjunctivitis: In this case, severe itching and swelling of eyelids may occur. There may be absence of redness in eye.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis: Secretion of sticky fluid from eyes that makes eyes stick together.
- Viral conjunctivitis: Secretion of watery fluid from eyes that causes itching in one or both eyes.
Conjunctivitis is known as Netrabhishanda or Abhisyandain Ayurveda. It is classified as eye disease that affects all parts of eye. The word Abhisyanda is derived from two words Abhi (means profuse or more) and Syandana (means discharge or secretion). Its combined meaning is profuse discharge from all parts of eye. It can be treated with ayurvedic medicines like Aller G capsules, Eye wash (Triphala kashaya).
According to Ayurveda, three energies vata, Pitta and Kapha are responsible for healthy body. If there is imbalance of any these three energies it results in health problems. As per Ayurveda, conjunctivitis is classified into different categories according to doshas:
- Vataja Abhishyanda - Pain in the eyes occur.
- Pittaja Abhishyanda - Burning sensation in eyes occur.
- Kaphaja Abhishyanda - Severe itching in the eyes occur.
- Raktaja Abhishyanda - Severe itching, pain, burning sensation occur along with redness of eye.
Causes of Conjunctivitis
- Infection (bacterial or virus)
- Allergy (dust, air pollution)
- Irritants such as shampoo, cosmetics, chemicals.
- Severe diseased conditionlike diabetes
- Foreign objects
What are the Symptoms?
Common symptoms of conjunctivitis are:
- Redness of white part of eye
- Increased excretion of fluid from eyes.
- Blurred vision.
- Burning and itching sensation in eyes.
- Sensitivity to light.
Complications Associated With Conjunctivitis
There are rare chances of complications but sometimes if it left untreated it may cause harmful effect to your eyes. It may affect your eye sight. Immediate care of eyes can minimize the complications of eyes.
Management of Conjunctivitis According to Ayurveda
Management of eye diseases is mentioned in Shalakya Tantra (ophthalmology) in Ayurveda. It is one of the eight clinical specialties of Ayurveda. It offers safe and effective solution for such problems like glaucoma, conjunctivitis etc.
Conjunctivitis can be managed with the help of ayurvedic medicines. Ayurvedic medicines are obtained from natural herbs which are pure and these have no side effects. As per Ayurveda the healthy diet is also beneficial for prevention of many disease. Ayurveda mainly considers balance of tri-energies which are responsible for health.
There are number of herbs (neem, haridra, ashwagandha) used in Ayurveda to manage various health issues. These herbs are used to make different products which are natural and have no side effects.
Herbal Remedies for Conjunctivitis B by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides effective herbal remedies such as Aller-G Care & Vara Churna for ayurvedic treatment of conjunctivitis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
These are pure natural capsules by Planet Ayurveda that are made from different herbs which are explained below:
- Haridra (Curcuma longa): It is perennial plant belongs to family Zingiberacea. It is native to India. It is an ancient herb which is used in Ayurveda which has great medicinal value. It has major constituent name Curcumin which has anti-oxidant properties that helps to remove toxins from body. It reduces inflammation, swelling and injuries.
- Neem (Azadirachta indica) - It is native to Sri lanka, Myanmar, Bangla desh and it belongs to family Meliaceae. It is useful disinfectant which has cleansing action on our body. It has anti-bacterial properties which helps in prevention of various bacterial infections or allergies. It is helpful in management of different diseased condition like conjunctivitis, inflammation or skin diseases.
- Shirish (Albizia lubbock) - It is also known as ‘Vishghan’ that means to remove poisons. It is common plant inIndia. It helps to remove toxins. It is effective against various infections. It also act as blood purifier.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) “somnifera means sleep bearing”– it is also known as Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry. It is small shrub which is native to India, parts of Africa and Mediterranean and it belongs to family Solanaceae. It has natural rejuvenating property which is useful in inflammations and infections.
DOSE: 2 capsules in a day with water or milk after meals.
Triphala Kashaya or Triphala Decoction - It is also known as varachurna. It is an herbal powder formulation by Planet Ayurveda which is useful in treating inflammatory conditions of eye in the form of eye wash. It is a combination of three natural herbs Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) and Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica). These are collectively known as 'Myrobalans'. These are explained below:
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): Its common name is Harad. It isone of ancient herb used in India which is useful in various health issues. Its regular use is helpful in reducing cloudiness of eye lens. It is useful in reducing inflammation. It has anti-oxidant properties also. It is an important constituent of Triphala Churna.
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica): Its paste is useful in relieving conjunctivitis.
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis): It is commonly known as Indian Gooseberry or amla. It is richest source of vitamin C. It is helpful in various eye ailments.
DIRECTION FOR USE: Boil a mixture of 30g of this powder and half liter of water. Use it as eye wash twice in a day.
Diet And Lifestyle
- Always take healthy diet.
- Avoid sour substances.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- Increases intake of green leafy vegetables.
- Wear goggles while going outside if you suffer from eye infection.
- Avoid use of lenses.