Ayurvedic Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. It is complicated disorder in which person gets fatigued that may worsen with physical or mental activity. The exact reason is unknown but it may be due to psychological stress, hormonal imbalance or any viral infections. According to Ayurveda it can be managed with the help of herbs like ashwagandha, shilajit, guggul, haridra, amalaki etc. these herbs are also present in different formulations by Planet Ayurveda.
What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)?
It is a disorder in which person suffers from extreme fatigue. In general fatigue is feeling of tired and weak condition. It can be overcome by taking rest. Fatigue may be felt physically or mentally. The period of fatigue is more than 6 months then it is reported as chronic fatigue. It cannot be managed with rest. It may be due to any reason like medical, psychological stress, genetic or infectious disease.
Ayurvedic Outlook of CFS
Chronic fatigue syndrome is also known as Mansa Dhatugat and Mansavrut Vataor Balakshayain Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of any three energies (vata, pitta and kapha) results in health complications. The main reason of chronic fatigue is aggravation of vatadosha that generates negativity at physical and mental levels. It affects nervous system that causes weakness of nervous system and it may create hypersensitivity that results in pain and tenderness. It may leads to mental disorders like cognitive disorders and disturbances in sleep. It may be due to accumulation of ama (toxins) that results in disconnection of mind, body and spirit.
Causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The exact cause of CFS is not clear. But it may be due to combination of some factors. These are:
- Psychological stress
- Infection: Some viruses such as Epstein-Barr virus, human herpes virus 6 and mouse leukemia viruses.
- Hormonal imbalance: Sometimes there is abnormal level of hormones in blood produced by hypothalamus, pituitary gland or adrenal gland. Decreased level of serotonin is also responsible for CFS.
- Immune system problem.
Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Common signs and symptoms of CFS are:
- Muscle pain
- Memory loss
- Anxiety and depression
- Joint pain
How can Ayurveda Help in CFS?
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian medicine system which provides natural products to prevent different disorders. Ayurveda mainly focus on pacifying vatadoshaand also add rasayana herbs that works on symptoms and rejuvenate tissue and relax the mind and provide strength to nervous system.There are numerous products present which are 100% pure and safe. There are many herbs which are helpful in pacifying vatadosha are Ashwagandha, Shilajit, Guggul etc.
Herbal Remedies For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Ashwagandha Capsules, Chanderprabha Vati, Atirasadi Churna, Gandhak Rasayan & Shilajit Capsules for ayurvedic treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
It is 100% pure and natural product of Planet Ayurveda which is obtained from pure Withania somnifera. It is an ayurvedic herb which has great medicinal value.
- It is used to maintain overall wellbeing of body.
- It provides strength and immunity to body.
- It nourishes the brain to work quicker and sharper.
- It also helps to relieve stress and fatigue.
- It has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
DOSE: 2 capsules twice in a day with plain water after meals.
2. Chanderprabha Vati
These are pure natural herbal tablets which has calming effect on entire body. These are made from combination of different herbs which are explained below:
- Shilajit (Asphaltum punibiunum)
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul)
- Sharkara (Sugar )
- Karpoor (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Mustak (Cyprus rotundus)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Vidanga (Embeliaribes)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Shunthi (Zingibe rofficinalis)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Sarjikashaar (Sodium carbonate)
- Yavkshaar (Potasium carbonate)
- Saindhavlavan (Rock salt)
- Suvarchallavan (Sodium sulphate)
- Vida lavan (Black salt)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Tejpatta (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
BENEFITS: This is useful formulation by Planet Ayurveda. It has calming effect on entire body. It is potent stress buster. It helps to reduce stress and causes relaxation in body. It helps to relieve fatigue.
DOSE: 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals.
3. Atirasadi Churna
It is an herbal powder which is a mixture of different herbs. These herbs are:
- Safedmusli (Chlorophytum borivilianum)
- Kali musli (Curculigo orchioides)
- SemalMusli (Salmalia malabarica)
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Akarkara (Anacylus pyrethrum)
- Vidarikand (Dioscorea tuberosa)
- SafedBehman (Centureabehen)
- Jaiphal/ Javitri (Myristica fragrans)
- Taalmakhna (Hygrophilla spinosa)
- Kesar (Crocus sativus)
Kali Musli - It is also known as Black Musali. Its scientific name is Curculigo orchioides. It is good source of micro nutrients and it has anti-oxidant properties. It helps the body to restore energy and stamina.
Ashwagandha - (Withania somnifera) - It is also known as Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry. It is an ancient herb which is used from longer time. It improves the stamina and strength of person without causing any side effect.Varahikand - It is also known as Wild yam. Its root has medicinal value and used in different formulations. It is rich source of vitamins, minerals or micro nutrients. It is used to enhance strength and stamina in body and prevent ageing.
BENEFITS: It is useful combination of natural herbs which are useful in relieving fatigue. It helps to enhance stamina of person.
DOSE: One tablespoon of powder with plain water or milk twice in a day.
4. Gandhak Rasayan
These are herbal tablets which are made from Shuddh Gandhak (Purified Sulphur). The word rasayan means rejuvenation. Its natural property is to rejuvenate the body without any side effects. It helps to remove toxins from body.
DOSE: 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals.
5. Shilajit Capsules
These are pure natural herbal capsules which are made from shilajit herb (Asphaltum punibiunum). It is natural herb which is used to relieve any kind of physical and mental stress. It contains numerous vitamins and nutrients which provide stamina to body. It has positive effect on mind and also improves body metabolism.
DOSE: 2 capsules twice in a day with milk or water after meals.
Diet And Lifestyle
Foods to be taken:
- Vegetable soups and juices
- Juices of carrot, cucumber and beetroot
- Cooked vegetables
- Spices like cumin, coriander, ginger
Foods to be avoided:
- Mental tensions
- Too much tea, coffee, alcohol
- Eating hot, spicy and fried foods
- Avoid sleep during day and staying up at late night.
There are some home remedies for CFS which are helpful in management of CFS along with other formulations:
- Mix half tablespoon of turmeric powder with warm water that helps to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Garlic is used for detoxification.
- Guggul helps in relieving pain.
- Ginger tea is also helpful for minor aches and pains.
- Mix amla powder and ashwagandha powder in equal amounts. Consume one spoon twice in a day.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile