DASMOOLAM KASHAYAM - INGREDIENTS, INDICATIONS, USES AND BENEFITS
Dasmoolam Kashayam is an Ayurvedic liquid formulation which is prepared from roots of 10 herbs. It is useful in the treatment of cold, cough, asthma and pains. It is used to treat inflammatory conditions and post-surgery conditions to avoid infections.
Dashmoola - 10 parts
- Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum) - 1 part
- Bilvamool tawak (Aegle marmelos) -1 part
- Prishanparni (Uraria picta) - 1 part
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) - 1 part
- Brihati (Solanum indicum) - 1 part
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) - 1 part
- Agnimanth (Premna mucronata) - 1 part
- Shyonak (Oroxylum indicum) - 1 part
- Patla (Stereospermum suaveolens) - 1 part
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea) - 1 part
- Approximately 50 gm chooran is taken of all the above herbs.
- Water – 8 times
- Prakshepak Dravya (Additive) – Pippali churna (Piper longum)
REFERENCE – SAHASARYOGA KAHSYAY PARAKARAN
BENEFITS OF INGREDIENTS
Dashmoola - Dahsmoola is a famous Ayurvedic combination of ten roots which balances vata dosha in the body. Dashmoola all together acts as an anti-inflammatory, analgesic, stimulant, tonic and antipyretic.
- Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum) – It exhibits analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. The roots of this plant are bitter in taste and help in the treatment of anorexia and bloating by improving appetite. It is used to cure cough and asthma.
- Prishanparni (Uraria picta) – Prishanparni is packed with anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, anti-emetic and anti-microbial properties. It helps in the treatment of fever, cough and pain in lumbar region.
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) – This herb is used as anti-pyretic, anti-asthmatic, and anti-inflammatory herb. It has immense potential to treat respiratory ailments and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Brihati (Solanum indicum) - Brihati is an antioxidant, anti-cancerous herb, It helps in treating throat and digestive problems.
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) – It acts as an anti-oxidant and diuretic in action. It enhances digestive fire, eliminates toxins from the body via urine and benefits the digestive system.
- Bilvamool tawak (Aegle marmelos) – Bilva is considered as a pain-relieving herb of all times. It has anti-inflammatory properties therefore widely used in treating pain and stiffness in the body. It is also known as the best laxative and used to treat constipation.
- Agnimantha (Premna mucronata) - It is used to treat cold, cough and asthma. It is also used to enhance immunity and strengthens the body.
- Shyonak (Oroxylum indicum) – The roots of sonpatha are sweet, astringent, digestive, expectorant, carminative and diuretic, which are useful for the treatment of diarrhoea, colic pains and dysentery.
- Patla (Stereospermum suaveolens) – The roots of patla have coolant action hence acts as a diuretic. It has analgesic properties due to which it is used in the treatment of pain and inflammation in the body.
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea) – It has astringent and bitter action. The roots of this herb are anti-diarrheal and diuretic in nature. It also has antipyretic properties. It is stomachic and bitter tonic for digestive system.
METHOD OF PREPARATION
All above ingredients are taken in coarse powder form and decoction is prepared with water. It is boiled until reduced to eighth part. This decoction is called Dasamoolam kashayam and used in inflammatory conditions.
Dasamoolam kahsyam is effective in the treatment of uterine problems after delivery because it strengthens the uterine muscles and provides relief from puerperal pain. It is also useful in the treatment of cough, asthma and other respiratory ailments..
USES AND BENEFITS OF DASMOOLAM KASHAYAM
- This herbal formulation is mucolytic in nature, it helps in elimination of mucus and acts as an expectorant. It provides relief from breathlessness and cough.
- Dasamoolam kashyam is antitussive and bronchodilator in action, it is beneficial in cough and bronchitis.
- It has appetizer property thus, used to treat anorexia and maintains the healthy gastrointestinal tract.
- The ingredients of Dasamoolam kashayam are analgesic in nature that reduces pain and stiffness and effective in musculoskeletal disorders.
- It also acts a uterine tonic and advised in the postpartum period.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DASAMOOLAM KASHAYAM
There are following side effects of Dasamoolam kashayam if taken in overdose
- Burning sensation
5 to 15 ml twice daily with 4 times boiled and cooled water.
Arya Vaidya Pharmacy