Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam
Dhanwanthararishtam is an ancient Ayurvedic liquid formulation mentioned in our classical texts. It contains 5-10% of self-generated alcohol. It is especially indicated in postnatal care and postnatal disorders. It has a combination of herbal drugs and is known by the name of lord Dhanwantri as it corrects all systemic disorders. In this article we will discuss its composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
It is medicinal alcoholic preparation which mainly helps in vata dosha among all three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha). Primarily it is used by females for uterine health and post-delivery care. The main ingredients present in it are dashmool, devdaru, triphala, etc. It is also helpful in conditions like rheumatic complaints, hemiplegia, sprain and general fatigue.
According to classics, Dhanwantram aristha is described by Acharya Vaghbhat for all types of vataj disorders. According to texts it is mainly used for sutika vikar (disorders after postnatal period).
The indications mentioned in classics are-
- Sarav vata vikar (Vataj disorders)
- Sutika bal (Post-delivery care)
- Jawar (Fever)
- Gulam (Tumor growth)
- Grah, unmad (Epilepsy)
- Mutraghat (Urinary disorders)
- Vridhi (Hernia)
- Yoniroga (Vaginal disorders)
Kwath Dravyas (Decoction Drugs)
- Bala mool (Sida cordifolia)
- Yava (Hordeum vulgare)
- Kola (Ziziphus jujuba)
- Kultha (horse gram)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Agnimantha (Premna mucronata)
- Shayonak (Oroxylum indicium)
- Patla (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea)
- Brihati (Solanum indicum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Prishniparni (Uraria picta)
- Shalparni (Desmodium giganteum)
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris)
- Triphala (Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula, Terminalia billerica)
- Devdaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Kakoli (Roscoea purpurea)
- Chandan (Santalum album)
- Kushtha (Sausseria lappa)
- Tagar (Valeriana jatamansi)
- Vidari (Ipomea mauritiana)
- Twak (Cinnamoum zeylenica)
- Ela (Cardamom)
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
Prakshep Dravyas (Powdered Drugs)
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa)
- Jati (Myristica fragrans)
- Chavya (Piper cubeba)
- Shat pushpa (Anethum graveolens)
Madhur Dravya (Sweetening Drug)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Bala mool- It is very useful for our central nervous system, acts as antidepressant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory. Helpful in treating male and female both infertility disorders. It increases strength and builds the body.
- Yava- It is used as diuretic and anti-pyretic. It helps to treat urinary disease, abdominal pain, bloating, etc. It is a rich source of vit. B complex, calcium, magnesium.
- Kola- It has antioxidant properties and improves sleep. It mainly helps in digestion and cures from constipation. It helps in managing gastrointestinal problems.
- Kulth- It reduces deposition of fat and lowers blood sugar level. It reduces inflammation and removes toxins from the body. It helps in balancing vata and kapha dosha.
- Manjistha- It acts as rakta shodhak (blood purifier) and acts on aggravated pitta dosha. It has antiplatelet and anti-stress properties. It is very beneficial in anemic patients.
- Kakoli- It is best to prevent debility, impotence, arthritis. It reduces inflammation and burning sensation in skin. It mainly acts on vata and pitta dosha and act as an immunomodulator.
- Chandan- It has a calming and cooling effect due to its antioxidant properties. It reduces tissue damage and lowers sugar and blood pressure levels.
- Kustha- It is a traditional medicine used for skin related issues. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Tagar- It helps in reducing anxiety and induces sleep because it relaxes the central nervous system. It has a sedative effect and soothes all body muscles.
- Vidari- It helps in boosting immunity and improves lactation. It enhances fertility and delays the aging process. It helps in healing wounds and ulcers.
- Twak- It is very beneficial for neurodegenerative disorders and it removes toxins and inflammation from the body. It helps in boosting body metabolism and lower blood pressure.
- Punarnava- It is very beneficial for kidney regulation and aids in digestion. It brings comfort to joints and muscles, it removes all toxins from the body.
- Trikatu- It boosts immunity and improves digestion. It also helps in reducing pain, swelling, and inflammation. It also helps in managing throat infection and skin related issues.
- Dhatki- It helps in relieving burning sensation of skin, boosts immunity and reduces menstrual cramps. It also treats bleeding disorders, wounds and ulcers.
- Shilajeet – It enhances fertility and reduces stress and anxiety issues. It plays an important role in neurological health and in the immune system.
- Bilva- It helps in treating gastrointestinal disorders and treats various skin infections. It controls the cardiovascular system of the body and strengthens heart muscles.
- Agnimanth- It has anti helminthic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It treats skin infections like urticaria, skin allergies. It is very useful in asthma and piles.
- Gambhari- It helps in heart functioning and cures all disorders related to cardiac system. It maintains blood pressure and heart rate, strengthens the muscular system.
- Kantakari- It corrects imbalance in liver enzymes and is also helpful in diabetes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces inflammation in the brain and lungs.
- Triphala- It has specific anti-inflammatory and anti oxidative properties. It is helpful in headache, fatigue and various infectious disorders.
- Devdaru- It reduces inflammation and swelling due to any injury or infection. Helps to treat muscle spasm and pain. It has anti oxidative and anti-bacterial properties.
- Cardamom- This drug reduces pain and spasm in all muscles. It reduces oxidative stress and damage to body cells. It inhibits microbial growth and helps in improving stomach ph.
- Kalonji- It controls pain, swelling and unconsciousness. It acts on the immune system and protects from various infections. It lowers fat in the body so it is helpful in treating dyslipidemia.
- Dashmool- It has analgesic, antipyretic properties and lowers body temperature. It is also used to treat common cold, flu and influenza symptoms. It helps in reducing pain and inflammation.
Method Of Preparation
Dhanwanthararishtam is prepared according to the steps given below-
- All the kwath/decoction dravyas mentioned above are collected and washed properly.
- Then all decoction herbs are boiled in water and then reduced till it remains one fourth.
- Strain the solution obtained in a clean vessel.
- Then add madhu/ honey to the solution/decoction made.
- At the end add all the powderded prakshep dravyas to the decoction.
- Stir all the solutions prepared so that all herbs get mixed properly and cover the vessel with a tight lid.
- Place the vessel closed and undisturbed for at least one month for fermentation.
- After this fermented solution called arishtha is obtained and strain it once again.
- Store the decoction solution in a clean airtight container.
Some of the properties of Dhanwanthararishtam are given below-
- It has therapeutic value in post natal care and disorders.
- It has carminative, anti-inflammatory properties
- It acts as analgesics, diuretic and vasodilator
- Treats all vata disorders like arthritis, gout, any type of joint pain.
- It improves abdominal health such as constipation, gastritis, anorexia, indigestion, etc.
- It corrects lower GI- tract disorders like piles, fissure, and fistula.
- Regulates all gynecological functions and makes the uterus healthy.
- Strengthens nervous system and acts as nervine tonic in facial palsy, hemiplegia, spasms, etc.
- Improves both male and female reproductive systems (fertility).
- Overcome weakness and mental stress.
The various indications of Dhanwantaram aristha are given as following-
- Post natal mother care
- Uterine tonic
- Facial palsy
- Gout, arthritis
- Joint or muscle pain
Dosage / Usage
10-20 ml per day twice daily.
With equal amounts of water.
Above mentioned, Dhanwantaram aristha is an alcoholic preparation described in our classical texts. It is beneficial for all pain related issues and disorders after delivery. It can be taken by lactating mothers and others also. Generally it can be used to manage sprain, headache and general fatigue.