Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam (As. Hr.Ch.8/70, 71) Arashchikitsa Adhyaya
Duralabharishtam is medicated alcoholic preparation which mainly works on vata dosha among all three dosha (vata, pitta and kapha). It primarily acts on “Apana vayu”, a type of vata which controls excretory functions. According to Acharya Charak, duralabharishtam qualities resembled dantiarishtam and phalaarishtam. In this article we will discuss Duralabharishtam composition, method of preparation, benefits and its dosage.
Duralabharishtam is a liquid traditional medicine mentioned in our classical texts. It is an alcoholic formulation which contains 5-7% of self-generated alcohol. As the name suggests, duralabha (Fagonia cretica) is its main ingredient with chitrak, danti, etc. It is very useful in the management of hemorrhoids and various abdominal disorders.
According to classical texts, Duralabharishtam is explained by Acharya Vagbhata in intestinal and anorectal disorders. Among dosha it is very beneficial for vata related disorders. Some of classical indications of Duralabharishtam are given as following-
- Piles/ hemorrhoids (Arsha)
- Improves digestion (agni vardhak)
- Ease constipation (Udar Roga)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)- (Grahani)
- Improves bowel movements
- Anemia (pandu)
- Skin disorders (kushta)
- Fever (jawar)
- Worm infection (krimi)
Kwath Dravya (Decoction Drug)
Duralabh (Fagonia cretica) - 1 prasth (768grams)
Following two pal each (96 grams)-
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Patha (Cyclea peltata)
- Vijaya (Terminalia chebula)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica)
- Nagar (Zingiber officinalis)
Prakshep Dravya (Powdered Drug)
Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa)
Kalka Dravya (Paste Making)
- Priyangu (Aglaia elaeagnoidea)
- Pipali (Piper longum)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Ghrit (Cow’s ghee)
Madhur Dravya (Sweetening Drug)
- Sita (Sugar)
- Madhu (Honey)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Duralabh- It reduces swelling and inflammation due to any injury. Helpful in eliminating gas from stomach and intestine. It stimulates the nervous system and calms all excited nerves.
- Danti- It eliminates or inhibits growth of microorganisms. Due to its laxative property it manages constipation and bowel movements. Also it has anthelmintic property so expels all worms from the intestine.
- Patha- It has anti-microbial and anti diarrhoeal properties. It also relieves from asthmatic symptoms and treats sore breaths. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
- Amalaki- This drug soothes the stomach and improves digestion, eases the passage of stool and increased bowel movements. It increases secretion of gastric juice and regulates the digestive system.
- Nagar- This is a traditional medicine useful in headache, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, etc. It is helpful in treating autoimmune diseases and bacterial infections.
- Dhataki- It relieves burning sensation from skin and boosts immunity of body. The decoction prepared from it is very useful in anal and vaginal prolapse. It also helps in treating diarrhea and bleeding issues.
- Priyangu- It helps in treating disorders like polydipsia, diarrhea, fever and obstetric conditions. It plays an important role in killing bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. It makes skin healthy and stops internal bleeding.
- Pipali- It fights against bacterial infections, and reduces pain like symptoms. It has anti-microbial and anti-oxidant properties. It is very beneficial for digestive related and respiratory related disorders.
- Chavya- It helps to treat abdominal pain, bloating and abdominal distension. It is beneficial for relieving constipation and improves digestion. It has anti-microbial property so helps to eliminate worm infestation.
- Ghrit- It is a rich source of nutrients and vitamins such as vit. A, D, E. It helps in growth of cellular tissue and boosts the immune system of the body. It improves digestion and strengthens bones, muscles.
- Honey- It increases digestive fire and acts as a good anti-oxidant. It works against bacteria, fungus and helps in healing wounds. It is rich in calcium, vitamins and various minerals.
- Vijaya- This drug is used to treat dementia, diabetes and constipation. It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Helpful in treating conditions like haemorrhoids, constipation.
- Vasa- It acts as expectorant and expels all mucus, clears chest air passages. Helpful in managing sore throat, cough, pharyngitis like disorders.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Duralabharishtam are as given following-
- Collect all the kwath/ decoction drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then all the kwath dravyas are boiled in approx. 12 litres (one drona) of water.
- Mixture is boiled till the solution remains one fourth in its quantity.
- Now strain the decoction obtained into a clean vessel.
- Then add sweetening agent mishri (sugar) to the decoction.
- Then add the paste of all kalka dravya.
- At the end add all the prakshep (powdered) drugs to the decoction and stir it properly.
- Now the vessel is closed tightly with a lid and covered with cloth.
- Place the vessel undisturbed for at least one month.
- After one month fermented decoction is obtained and stir, strain it once again.
- Now the decoction prepared is stored in a clean, airtight glass container.
The various properties of Duralabharishtam are given as below-
- Manages digestive disorders.
- Acts as analgesics and anti-inflammatory.
- Useful in managing nervous debility.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Antioxidant property.
- It maintains our full body metabolism
- It has a laxative property.
- Maintain dermatological conditions.
The indications of Duralabharishtam resembles like Abhayarishtam-
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Skin allergy
- Worm infection
Some of the conditions in which Durarabharishta is not given are-
- Abdominal disturbance
Dosage / Usage
15-25 ml twice in a day.
With equal amounts of water.
Arishtam is an alcoholic formulation mentioned in classical texts. It is beneficial for anorectal disorders and corrects digestion problems as it improves motility and bowel movements. It improves the functioning of the gut and increases absorption. So Duralabharistham can be used for various abdominal issues.