Reference - Ashtang haridyam Aarshchikitsa (As. Hr. Ch. 8/144)
Poothikasavam is a liquid herbal formulation mentioned in Ayurveda texts which contains 5-10% of self-generated alcohol. It improves digestion, and treats hemorrhoids and splenic diseases. It works on vitiated pitta and rakt dosha among all dosha. In this article we will discuss Poothikasavam ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Poothikasavam is medicated preparation which is mild alcoholic in nature. As the name suggests it contains pootikaranj (Holoptelea integrifolia), its main ingredient. It is an important formulation for treatment of hemorrhoids, varicosity and malabsorption syndrome. It also promotes strength to bones and joints.
According to classics, Poothikasavam is explained by Acharya Vaghbat for increasing digestion and piles growths. Among all three dosha it helps in pacifying pitta and rakat. Some of the classical indication of Poothikasavm are given as following-
- Improves Digestive Fire (Jatharagni vridhi)
- Digestion (Vata anulomana)
- Haemorrhoids (Arshas)
- Spleen disorders (Splenomegaly)
- Tumors growth (Gulma)
- Abdominal disorders (Udar roga)
The list of all decoction, powdered drugs used for making poothikasavam are given as following-
Kwath Dravya (Decoction Drug)
Poothika/ Chirbilva (Holoptelea integrifolia) - (2 Tula) 24 grams
Prakshep Dravya (Powdered drug)
Trikatu - (8 pal) 384 grams
- Sunthi (Zingiberofficinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pipali (Piper longum)
Madhur Dravya (Sweetening Agent)
Guda (Jaggery) - (80 pal) 3.5 kg
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Poothika- It is useful in treating inflammatory conditions. It cures nausea, indigestion, gastritis, intestinal problems and piles like abdominal disorders. It also acts as a blood purifier and can be given in diabetes patients.
- Shunthi- It improves the overall metabolism of the body and corrects digestion like loss of appetite, flatulence, tastelessness, etc. It relieves all types of pain like headache, abdominal pain, backache and menstrual pain also because it balances vitiated vata dosha in the body.
- Marich- It is helpful in treating chronic respiratory disorders such as asthma, cough, and bronchitis. It induces bowel movements and helps in cleaning the intestines. It removes excessive fat deposition such as dyslipidemia or obesity.
- Pipali- it has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic properties. It works on stress and relaxes our mind. As it works on kapha dosha so it helps in curing cough, asthma and other respiratory disorders.
- Jaggery- It helps in boosting digestion and eliminates acidity complaints. It helps to clear intestinal worms and activates digestive enzymes in our body. It is rich in vitamins and minerals and is a rich source of iron, potassium.
Method Of Preparation
Following are the steps for preparation of Poothikasavam-
- Collect all the kwath dravyas (decoction drugs) mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then add all decoction drugs to 12 liters of water for boiling.
- Keep boiling the decoction till it remains on fourth.
- Then add sweetening agent guda/ jaggery to the solution
- At the end add all prakshep/ powdered drugs to the decoction obtained.
- Stir the solution properly and strain it in a clean vessel.
- Then cover the vessel tightly with the lid and cover it with any cloth.
- Leave it undisturbed for at least one month for fermentation.
- After one month asava is prepared, then again stir and strain the solution.
- Store the asava in a clean glass airtight container, away from direct sunlight.
- It will be ready to use after an interval of one year.
The properties of Poothikasavam are as given below-
- Improves blood circulation
- It promotes strength to bones and joints.
- It has anti-inflammatory, anti diarrhoeal and analgesic properties.
- It manages pain and improves abdominal functions.
- It has antidepressant properties.
- Have anti-metastatic and anti-mutagenic properties.
The indications of Poothikasavam are given as following-
- Spleen disorders (Splenomegaly)
- Tumors growth
Dosage / Usage
15-25 ml twice in a day.
With equal amount of water.
Like mildly alcohol
Poothikasavam, is a mild alcoholic formulation mentioned in classical texts. It is basically used for abdominal disorders and improves digestion. It is taken internally twice after meals and acts on vitiated pitta and rakat related issues. So, Poothikasavam can be used widely for various abdominal and rectal disorders.