About Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes Mellitus commonly known as Diabetes. It refers to the group of diseases that affect how the body uses glucose. It's mainly a disease of the pancreas that produce hormone insulin. If a person is having diabetes, the pancreas either cannot produce enough insulin or uses the insulin incorrectly or both. If the insulin isn't functioning properly, glucose can't enter the cells. This causes glucose levels to rise in the blood and creating a condition of high blood glucose level called Diabetes.
According to Ayurveda, Diabetes Mellitus is known as Madhumeha (excretion of the sweet urine). It's a silent Killer. Diabetes is also known as Parmeha (Passing of excess urine in quantity and frequency) and is also considered as a Maharoga (Major Disease), as almost all the parts of the body and every cell of the human physiology is affected. Madhumeha actually refers to a terminal stage of the disease and is said to be incurable because of the advancement and improper management. It is a metabolic kapha disorder in which there is reduced Agni hence increase in blood sugar level.
What are the two major forms of Diabetes Mellitus?
It considers two major forms of Diabetes Mellitus:
- The Genetic form (Sahaja Parmeha). It can be compared to the IDDM (Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus) or Type 1 DM.
- The Acquired Form (Aapathyanimittaja Parmeha): It can be compared to the NIDDM (Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus) or Type 2 DM.
- There is also one more form that is known as Gestational Diabetes. Which may occur only during pregnancy in a few patients and after pregnancy it automatically gets treated.
What are the sign and symptoms of the Diabetes Mellitus?
- Increased Thirst.
- Frequent Urination.
- Extreme Hunger.
- Blurred Vision.
- Slow healing sores.
- Presence of ketones in the urine.
- Weight loss.
- Skin pigmentation.
What are the causes of Diabetes Mellitus?
- Type 1 Diabetes: It is caused by the combination of genetic and environmental factors.
- Type 2 Diabetes: In this the cells become resistance to insulin and the pancreas is not able to make the enough insulin to overcome this resistance. Instead of moving into the cells where sugar is needed, it moves to the bloodstream.
- Gestational Diabetes: Placenta hormones during pregnancy, these hormones make cells more resistance towards pancreas. Normally, the pancreas respond by producing enough extra insulin. But sometimes pancreas cannot keep this, at that time too little glucose enters the cells and too much stays in the blood, resulting in Gestational Diabetes.
What are the Risk factors for Diabetes Mellitus?
Type 1 Diabetes Risk Factors:
- Family History.
- Environmental Factor.
- Damage immune system cells.
- Dietary factors.
Type 2 Diabetes Risk Factors:
- Weight Increase.
- Less Physical activity.
- Family History.
- Polycystic ovarian Syndrome.
- High Blood Pressure.
What are the Complications of the Diabetes Mellitus?
- Neuropathy (Nerve damage): Excess sugar can damage the walls of the capillaries, which nourish nerves, especially in legs, this will cause tingling, burning sensation at the tip of the toe and fingers.
- Nephropathy (Kidney damage): Diabetes can damage the filtering system. Severe damage can lead to the kidney failure.
- Retinopathy (Retina damage): Diabetes can damage the blood vessels of the retina hence it leads to retinopathy.
- Aziehemer's disease: The poorer the control of blood glucose level, greater the risk of Aziehemer's disease.
- Foot damage: Nerve damage in the feet or poor blood flow increase the risk of foot complications.
How to diagnose Diabetes Mellitus?
- FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar level): After the person fasted for overnight, then the blood is drawn.
- Fasting plasma glucose level is more than 126 mg/dl one or two more tests on different days alternately refers to diabetes.
- RBS (Random Blood Sugar Level): when it is more than 200 mg/dl or higher it indicates the person is diabetic.
Herbal Remedies for Diabetes Mellitus by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Diabetes Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of diabetes mellitus. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Diabeta Plus - 2 Capsules twice daily after meals.
- Karela Capsules – 2 Capsules, twice daily after meals.
- Madhumehantak Churna – 1-2 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water, after meals.
- Fenugreek Capsules – 2 Capsules, twice daily after meals.
1. Dia-Beta Plus
It consists of Gurmaar (Gymnema sylvestrae), Karela (MomordicaCharantia), saptrangi (salancia oblonga), Vizyasaar (Pteracarpus marsupium), Aswagandha (withania somifera) and Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum).
Benefits: It is the best herbal remedy for the diabetes. It is the mixture of various herbs which are effective in controlling blood sugar level. The herbs in this formulation help to control vata and kapha both which is the root cause of the diabetes. It also prevents diabetic neuropathy and other complications. Gurmaar (Gymnema sylvestrae): It has a gymneic acid in it. They gel with glucose molecule in the stomach and prevent their entry in bloodstreams. Tulsi (Ocimum Tenuiflorum): It acts as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammtory.It helps to remove all toxins from the body. Karela (Momordica charantia): It includes a mixture of steroidal saponins, insulin-like peptides and alkaloids. It also contains Gurmein, it's a polypeptide similar to bovine insulin, which helps in reducing sugar level. Vizyasaar (Pteracarpus marsupium): Pterosilbene is the one most important active ingredient of pteracarpus extract for this purpose, may help support the body's natural ability to manage and regulate blood sugar levels. It may also regulate the glycosylated hemoglobin level. Ashwagandha (withania somnifera): It acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant.it restores the strength. It stimulates the immune-system and promotes the healthy function of the body.
2. Bitter melon Capsules
It consists of Bitter melon (Momordica charantia).
Benefits: It restores the imbalance created due to uncontrolled sugar and prevent complications of the diabetes. It is thought to have direct hypoglycemic activity, but this may depend on having a viable beta cell function in the pancreas. It improves the glucose tolerance without increasing insulin levels and to improve fasting blood glucose levels.
3. Madhumehanatak Churna
It consists of saptrangi (Salacia Chinesis), vizyasaar (Petracarpus marsupium), Bilva Patra (Aegle marmelos), Gurmaar (Gymnema sylvestrae), daruhaldi (Berberis aristata), Neem Patra (Azadirachata indica), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Jamun (Syzgium cumini), Karela (Momordica Charantia), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) and sadabahar (Eochnera rosea).
Benefits: It is the most effective herbal combination of diabetes and its complications. The salacia chinesis and Petrocarpus marsupium prove their efficacy in controlling diabetes. The herbs bitter gourd and Gymnema sylvestrea plays important role in decreasing the high sugar level. It also gives strength to the body also.
4. Fenugreek Capsules
It consists of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum).
Benefits: It shows a significant decrease in blood sugar level by slowing down the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Because of the presence of galactomannan, fenugreek slows down the sugar absorption in the bloodstream.
Where to buy Diabetes Care Pack?
To buy Diabetes Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/diabetes-care-pack.html.
- One should eat regular meals.
- Have wholegrain starchy food, fruit, vegetables, pulses and some dairy foods these all are the healthiest carbohydrates.
- Lentils and pulses are low in fat, high in fiber content. They help to control the blood fat such as cholesterol.
- Have plenty of water, Water is the best, but milk, herbal tea and some foods, particularly fruit and vegetables all contribute to this total.
- Avoid too much of salt, salt will increase the blood pressure, which indirectly increases the chances of diabetes complications.
- Avoid soft drinks, soda and juice.
- Avoid processed a packed food like canned soups, frozen dinners or low fat meals. Try to make meal at home.