Diet Plan for Hernia
Hernia is a condition in which the internal organ or tissues protrude abnormally through cavity in which it resides. The main causes of hernia are obesity, smoking, heavy weight lifting, overexertion and poor nutrition. One of the most common hernias is inguinal and femoral hernia. Hernias are usually not life threatening but they have to be treated as they cannot go away on its own. Hernia usually causes mild to severe pain but if blood supply is cut off then it may leads to some major complications. Balanced diet rich in complex carbs, plant based proteins and unsaturated fats are beneficial in hernia. Avoid foods which are difficult to digest.
DIET CHART FOR HERNIA
Luke warm water /Herbal tea / Green tea
Broken wheat porridge (veg Dalia) / Veg oats / Veg Semolina (veg upma) / Veg poha (Rice flakes) / Vermicelli (veg Sewia )/ Chapatti with veg or Dal
Fruit / Coconut water / Herbal tea / Green tea / Salad/Fruit juice
Chapatti / Boiled Rice / Vegetable + Dal / Salad/Non – veg (once in week)
Sprouts / Green tea / Soup (Home-made) / Herbal tea / Salad /Roasted Grams
Chapatti / Boiled Rice / Vegetable + Dal
Cereals to be consumed
Wheat, Brown rice, Sorghum, Amaranth, Finger millet, Foxtail millet, Pearl millet, Buckwheat, Little millet
Flour Ratio - Wheat Atta (50%) + Soybean Atta (20%) + Ragi flour (30%)
Cereals to be avoided
Fruits to be consumed
Banana, Water melon, Muskmelon, Avocado, Peaches, Pear, Coconut, Pomegranate, Figs, Mango, Litchi, Custard apple, Sapodilla, Papaya
Fruits to be avoided
Orange, Apple, Mango, Strawberries, Lemon, Limes, Grapes, Blueberries
Vegetables to be consumed
Zucchini, Sweet potato, Pumpkin, Celery, Coriander, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Mushrooms, Spinach, Carrot, Peas, Fenugreek leaves, Yam, Okra, Bottle gourd, Bitter gourd, Brussels sprouts, Lettuce, Ginger, Chicory greens
Vegetables to be avoided
Tomatoes, Potatoes, Garlic, Onion, Green chilies, Red chilies
Pulses to be consumed
All pulse and legumes
Pulses to be avoided
Dairy Products to be consumed
Tofu, Soy milk
Dairy Products to be avoided
Milk, Cheese, Buttermilk, Butter, Curd
Oils to be consumed
Cow ghee, Sunflower oil, Canola oil, Olive oil, Mustard oil, Rice bran oil
Oils to be avoided
Cream, Palm oil, Coconut oil
Spices to be consumed
Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Ginger, Pepper, Fennel, Cinnamon
Spices to be avoided
Mustard, Pimento, Nutmeg
Drinks to be consumed
Coconut water, Homemade soups, Green juice, Herbal tea
Drinks to be avoided
Whole milk drinks, Cream based liqueurs, canned soup and packaged soup, Alcohol, Sweetened drinks, Squashes, Carbonated drinks
Flesh Foods to be consumed
Egg white, Chicken (Once in a week)
Flesh Foods to be avoided
Processed and fried meat, Red meat- (Beef, Lamb, Pork), Fishes (Tilefish, Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, Marlin, Bluefin Tuna).
DRY-FRUITS / SEEDS
Dry Fruits to be consumed
Almond, Raisins, Ground Nuts, Walnut, Peanuts, Pistachio, Cashew, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds.
Dry Fruits to be avoided
Other Foods to be consumed
Other Foods to be avoided
Bakery and Processed Foods, Fried Food, Junk Food, Pickles, Artificial Sweeteners, Packed Soups, Refined Sugar
- Aloe Vera juice- Drink one glass aloe Vera juice in morning. It relives the symptoms of hernia due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vegetable juice- It is very helpful to reduce the burning and various symptoms of hernia.
- Ice packs- The abdominal pain is common symptom of hernia. Ice packs can be applied directly on affected areas. It will reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Licorice decoction - Boil three cup of water and add 1 tsp of licorice root. Heat it for 2-3 minutes and drink it one time in a day.
- Black pepper- Take 1 teaspoon of black pepper and mix it with jaggery. Make a paste and consume it two times in a day.
- Follow regular and balance meal pattern.
- Consume high fiber and adequate fluid diet.
- Whole fruit should be preferred to fruit juices.
- Skipping of meals should be avoided, especially the breakfast
- Water intake should be increased at least 8-10 glasses of water per day.