Diet Plan for Patients of Bad Breath (Halitosis)
Bad breathe is characterized by an unpleasant odor of the mouth. The human mouth produces different bacteria as like our healthy gut flora which is responsible for bad breath. Bad breath is caused by several reasons like; poor hygiene, oral infections, dental problems or production of different mouth bacteria. A healthy balanced diet with a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables can be very effective in fighting bad breath. Avoid foods having a strong odor like: onion, garlic, or processed food.
DIET CHART FOR BAD BREATH
Coriander + Mint leaves juice
AFTER 15 MIN
Veg Semolina (Veg Upma) / Broken wheat porridge (Veg Dalia) / Veg Vermicelli (Sewian) / Veg poha (Rice flakes) / Veg Idli / Besan Chilla (Gram flour) / Stuffed Chapatti / Chapatti with Veg. or Dal.
Fruits / Coconut water / Sprouts / Salad / Lemon water.
Plain chapatti / Veg pulao / Boiled rice / Vegetable + Dal + Salad.
Herbal tea / Green tea / Roasted Chana / Sprouts / Rice flakes snack.
Plain chapatti / Boiled rice / Vegetable + Dal.
Cereals to be consumed
Whole grains such as Barley, Oatmeal, Brown rice, Finger millet, Soya, Corn, Quinoa.
Cereals to be avoided
Whole refined flour, White rice.
Fruits to be consumed
All fruits include Apricots, Dates, Prunes, Grapes, Papaya, Oranges, Banana, Strawberries, Pineapples, Apple, Figs, Coconut, Litchi, Muskmelon, Watermelon, Guava, Pear, Blueberries, Pomegranate, Mango, Lime, Avocado, Raspberries, Peaches.
Fruits to be avoided
All canned and packaged fruits.
Vegetables to be consumed
Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, Turnips, Carrot, Cabbage, Pumpkin, Sweet potatoes, Squash, Peas, Artichokes, Lettuce, Asparagus, Parsley, Lemons, Green leafy vegetable, Collard greens, Turnip greens, Kale, Okra, Dandelion greens, Mustard greens, Mushroom, Beans, Spinach, Beet greens, Tomato, Potatoes, Cucumber, Zucchini, Fenugreek leaves, Celery, Coriander leaves.
Vegetables to be avoided
Red and Green chili, Onion, Garlic, Frozen vegetables.
Pulses to be consumed
All pulses, Legumes, Soybean and its products.
Pulses to be avoided
Dried and Frozen pulses.
Dairy Products to be consumed
Dairy Products to be avoided
Whole milk and cream, Full-fat yoghurt, cheese, Condensed milk.
Spices to be consumed
Fennel, Turmeric, Mint, Cumin, Carom, Coriander, Fenugreek, Limited salt, Black pepper, Rosemary, Dry ginger, Anise seeds, Cloves, Cardamom, Basil.
Spices to be avoided
Red chili powder
Drinks to be consumed
Homemade soup, Carrot juice, Wheatgrass juice, Bitter Gourd juice, Aloe Vera juice, Lemon water, Amla juice, Black tea, Green tea.
Drinks to be avoided
Alcohol, Carbonated beverages like Coke, Limca, Pepsi, Fanta, etc., Canned soup, Packaged soup and Canned fruit juices, Caffeinated drinks, Coffee, Tea.
Flesh Foods to be consumed
Flesh Foods to be avoided
Meat (can be taken in limited amount) Fish fried, Prawns, Lobster, Crab, Lean beef, Pork, Lamb, Ham, Turkey, Rabbit, Egg yolk, Fish roe, Sausages, Mutton, Salami, Bacon, Duck, Goose, visible fat on meat, Chicken skin, Liver, Kidney, Chest.
SEEDS AND DRY FRUITS
Dry Fruits to be consumed
Flax seed, Pumpkin seed, Walnut, Almond.
Dry Fruits to be avoided
Cashew nuts, Peanuts.
Oils to be consumed
Cow ghee, Mustard oil, Olive oil, Soybean oil, Canola oil, Coconut oil.
Oils to be avoided
Unsaturated fats, Cream, Palm oil, Butter.
Other Foods to be consumed
Homemade food only, Honey, Jaggery, Coriander and mint chutney.
Other Foods to be avoided
All bakery products or processed, Sauces, Fruit jellies, Jams, Mayonnaise, Ice-cream, Cream soups, Dark chocolate, Butter scotch, Coconut bar, Chutneys, Pickles, Junk food, Deep fried foods, Spicy foods.
LIFESTYLE AND DIETARY TIPS
- Walk for at least 30 min is recommended
- Whole fruits should be preferred to fruit juices
- Skipping meals should be avoided, especially the breakfast.
- Water intake should be limited 8-10 glasses per day
- 6 -Soaked Almond per day.
- Cleanliness and hygiene should be maintained.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BAD BREATH
- Herbal Tea- Boil ½ tsp each of fennel, coriander, cumin in 3 cups of water till it’s reduced to 1 cup.
- Parsley and Basil Leaves - Chew Parsley leaves and Basil fresh leaves after each meal.
- Pineapple Juice - Drink a glass of organic pineapple juice after meals, or chew on a pineapple slice for one to two times in a day.
- Fennel and Anise Seeds - Fennel and anise seeds can be eaten plain, roasted, or coated with sugar.
- Green Tea - Brew one cup of tea before going to bed.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Add 2 tablespoons of white or apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water and gargle for at least 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Lemon Juice - Drink a glass of lemon juice mixed with honey.
- Guava Leaves - Chew raw fresh guava leaves after each meal.
Note - Follow a healthy diet to keep your breath free of bad odour and feel fresh and keep smiling...