DRAKSHADI KASHAYAM - INGREDIENTS, INDICATIONS, USES AND BENEFITS
Drakshadi kashayam is an Ayurvedic medicine which is prepared by decoction form. The main ingredient of this medicine is drakhsa. Draksha is pitta pacifying herb and increases the immunity of a person to fight against diseases. Drakshadi kashayam is used in treating chronic fever, digestive problems and bleeding disorders. It is also helpful in treating withdrawal symptoms of alcohol such as vertigo, insomnia and anxiety.
- Draksha (Vitis vinifera) – 1 part
- Madhuka (Madhuca longifolia) – 1 part
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) – 1 part
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa)– 1 part
- Kashmari (Gmelina arborea) – 1 part
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus) – 1 part
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus) – 1 part
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) – 1 part
- Hribera (Coleus zeylanicus) – 1 part
- Padmakesara – (Nelumbium speciosum) – 1 part
- Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides) – 1 part
- Chandan (Pterocarpus santalinus) – 1 part
- Mrinala (Nelumbium speciosum) – 1 part
- Usheera (Vetiveria zizanioides) – 1 part
- Parushaka (Phoenix famifera) – 1 part
- Neel Kamal (Nelumbo stelleta) – 1 part
- Prakeshap Dravyas –
- Jatipushpa(Jasminum grandiflorum)
- Madhu (Honey)
- Mishri (Sugar)
- Water - 16 times
ASHTAMG HRUDYAM // JAWAR CHIKITSA ADHYAYAM
BENEFITS OF INGREDIENTS
- Draksha (Vitis vinifera) – Draksha is sweet and astringent in nature and has cool potency. It balances all three doshas in the body. It has nourishing nature and provides strength to fight against diseases. Due to its cool potency, it is used in the treatment of pitta disorders. It is used in treating burning sensation, fever, excessive thirst and jaundice. Draksha helps to relieve symptoms of urinary tract infections like burning and painful urination. Draksha is also very useful in the treatment of bleeding disorders.
- Madhuka (Madhuca longifolia) – The flowers of this plant are used as a fermenting agent to initiate fermentation. Madhuka is nutritious and nourishing in nature. It helps in the treatment of burning sensation and excessive thirst. It also helps in fever which occurs due to aggravation of pitta dosha.
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) – Yashtimadhu is sweet in taste and provides strength and immunity to the body. It is antiemetic and relieves excessive thirst. It is diuretic and relieves symptoms like burning and painful urination. It is a mild laxative and antipyretic in nature.
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) – Lodhra enhances the absorption process in the body as well as reduces inflammation in the body. It maintains digestive fire in body.
- Kashmari (Gmelina arborea) – Kashmiri roots are stomachic and mild laxative in nature. In Ayurveda the roots of this plant are used to treat constipation and to maintain good digestion.
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus) – Sariva has absorbent and coolant properties. It is useful in treating excessive thirst and anorexia. It is diuretic in nature and used in the treatment of dyspepsia, burning sensation and fever.
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus) - Musta is bitter, pungent and astringent in nature. Being a cool potency, it is used to relieve symptoms of burning sensation, excessive thirst and fever.
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) – Amla is a potent fruit to treat digestive problems. It has rejuvenation properties and also provides strength to the body as well as enhances immunity.
- Hribera (Coleus zeylanicus) – Haribera is an easily digestible herb due to its laghu (light) property. It is used in the treatment of fever and excessive thirst which occurs due to the accumulation of pitta dosha in the body.
- Padmakesara (Nelumbium speciosum) – Padam kesara is the best absorbent herb useful in the treatment of ulcerative colitis, IBS and diarrhea.
- Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides) – Padmaka is coolant in activity and pitta pacifying herb. It helps to reduce burning sensation and excessive thirst. It also helps in the treatment of withdrawal symptoms of alcoholism.
- Mrinala (Nelumbium speciosum) – Mrinala is sweet and astringent in action, it helps to treat problems such as Jaundice and bleeding disorders.
- Lal Chandan (Pterocarpus santalinus) – It has cool potency and useful in the treatment of burning sensation, chronic fever and internal hemorrhage. Lal chandan is packed with anti-inflammatory and healing properties and has been used as an antiseptic in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. Lal chandan also exhibits anti-inflammatory activity.
- USHEERA ( Vetiveria zizanioides)- Usheera has coolant action , this herb is highly beneficial to manage vomiting, fever and bleeding disorders.
- NEEL KAMAL (Nelumbo stelleta) - Neel kamal has astringent, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is mostly used in bleeding disorders.
- FALSA (Grewia asiatica) – The fruits of falsa are used to treat digestive problems. They also reduce symptoms of burning sensation, thirst and chronic fever. The fruits are also useful to stop internal bleeding hence helpful in the treatment of bleeding disorders.
- Jatipushpa (Jasminum grandiflorum) – The flowers of jasmine are added to this preparation to enhance the fragrance of kashayam
METHOD OF PREPARATION
All ingredients are taken in coarse powder form and decoction is prepared with water. This mixture should be boiled until it is reduced to one eighth. Then the decoction is filtered with a clean cloth and preserved for further use. This kashayam is used in the treatment of chronic fever, alcoholism, vomiting, burning sensation and jaundice.
Drakashadi kashyam is liquid medicine used in the treatment of following diseases –
- Chronic fever
- Excessive thirst
- Internal bleeding
USES AND BENEFITS OF DRAKSHADI KASHAYAM
- Drakshadi kashayam is used to pacify pitta dosha in the body. This medicine acts as an antacid.
- Due to its antipyretic activity it is used in the treatment of chronic fever.
- It is a digestive stimulant hence stimulates the digestive fire.
- It has mild laxative properties and treats constipation.
- It is anti-inflammatory and antiulcerogenic in nature, hence beneficial in the treatment of inflammatory bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis.
5 to 15 ml once or twice daily with 4 times boiled luke warm water as suggested by physician
Arya Vaidya Pharmacy