Sometimes people often face a situation, where they can find it difficult in swallowing the food. This may occur due to a number of reasons. But, this problem is quite common these days. And, this situation is known as Dysphagia. It is mainly defined as the complication, which is linked with the oesophagus and throat. Due to the problems in swallowing food, the food doesn't reach the stomach easily. The nerves and the muscles don't work properly. And, this causes a lot of hindrance, which prevents the food from passing through the oesophagus and reaching the stomach. If an individual faces the problem of swallowing once a while, it may be natural. However, if the problem of swallowing is frequent, you need to be aware. You may be having the problem of dysphagia. During normal situations, the muscles and the nerves contract, when a food particle passes through the oesophagus. And, the food reaches stomach. But, certain problems with the nervous system of the body may give rise to a condition, when the muscles and nerves fail to work properly. This prevents the food from reaching the stomach.
Common Causes of Dysphagia
There may be a lot of factors and causes, which give rise to this complication.
These are listed below:-
- Brain Stroke
- Nervous complications
- Cancer of neck or head
- Tonsillitis or inflammation in the tonsil glands.
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Too much smoking
- Any head injury
- Poor dental complications
- Too much consumption of alcohol
- Certain medicines and drugs
- GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disorder)
Some of the diseases that give rise to the complication of Dysphagia are the following:-
- Esophageal spasm
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
There are several causes as well, which may lead to dysphagia in children as well. These are (GERD) gastro-esophageal reflux disorder and physical malformations.
Ayurvedic View of Dysphagia
In Ayurveda Dysphagia is considered due to aggravation of vata. When vata is aggravated it causes exhaustion of nervous system and impairs normal functioning of muscles and nerves causing Dysphagia.
Some Symptoms of Dysphagia
Here are some of the important symptoms of Dysphagia.
It is characterized by the following signs:-
- Coughing while swallowing the food
- Choking of the throat
- Throat gagging
- Complications in passing the food or liquid through oesophagus in the first time
- Obstruction in the throat, oesophagus
- Pain while swallowing food
- Food or liquid reiteration after swallowing through mouth, nose or throat
- Weight loss
- Chest pain
- Experiencing pressure in chest region
Complications Related to Dysphagia
When the patient fails to swallow food or liquid due to blockages, the patient often suffers from physical weakness and it lowers his level of energy. The patient also suffers from low blood pressure, weakness or fainting sensation. If not treated in time, it may lead to some other complications as well.
Tips to Prevent Dysphagia
The problem of dysphagia can be prevented by proper modifications in lifestyle and dietary habits.
- Have small meals in frequent durations. Don't have heavy meals all together
- Avoid smoking
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided
- No for the consumption of caffeine
- Sticky food should not be taken
- Breakdown the food particles and chew them properly
- Eat your food slowly so that the food gets ample time to get digested completely
Herbal Remedies for Dysphagia
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Yastimadhu Powder, Digestion Support & Heartburn Capsules for ayurvedic treatment of dysphagia. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Licorice (Yastimadhu) powder is the Ayurvedic formulation, for management of Dysphagia. This powder makes use of the standardized extracts of the herb, Licorice.
Licorice: The scientific name of the herb, licorice (Yastimadhu) is Glycyrrhiza glabra. The parts of the plant to be used for the preparation of the herbal formulation are the dried roots. These roots have glycyrrhizin. It is basically a saponins. It is extremely sweet. It also has flavones, coumarins, liquirtin, liquirtitigenin, rhamnoliquirilin, liquocoumarin and asparagine.
Some important properties of the herb, Licorice (Yastimadhu) are discussed below:-
- It helps to provide relief from the soreness of throats.
- Gives solution to dry cough, oral inflammation, asthma and bronchitis.
- Beneficial in giving relief from indigestion, gastric ulcers and heartburn as well.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and is used to treat arthritis.
- Helps in treating canker sores, eczema and herpes.
- Helps in strengthening the immune system of the individuals
- Has the property to prevent the abnormal multiplication of the cancer cells.
Doses: Consume Licorice Powder- 2-4 grams twice daily with normal water after meal.
These capsules help in maintaining a healthy digestive system. It helps in balancing the 3 energies in the human body - Vata, Kapha and Pitta. This herbal supplement is made from the following herbs:
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Bahera (Terminalia bellirica)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Dhania (Coriandrum sativum)
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Jeerak (Cyminum cuminum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
These herbs synergistically work together to provide relief from the pain and other symptoms of the disorder. These capsules are completely vegetarian, natural and free from chemicals and preservatives.
Doses: 2 Capsules two times on a daily basis after meals with plain water.
These capsules are extremely natural and vegetarian. This herbal formulation is a combination of the following components:
- Coral Calcium (Praval Pishti)
- Agate Calcium (Akik Pishti)
- Ayurvedic Calcium Compound (Jahar Mohra Pishti)
- Ayurvedic Calcium Compound (Kamdudha Ras)
- Pearl Calcium (Mukta Pishti)
- Tinospora corifolia (Giloy Satva)
These components work together to fight away the signs and symptoms of the disorder to a huge extent.
Doses: 2 Capsules two times on a daily basis after meals with plain water
These herbal formulations are coupled with the modifications in the lifestyle and diet will help an individual fight away the various symptoms of Dysphagia.Share with your friends: