It is also known as Dermatitis. It is the itchy condition in which the upper layer of skin (epidermis) get inflamed that leads to red rashes. It mostly affects 10-20 % of infants and about 3% of adults and children in U.S.
Types of Eczema
Modern science differentiates eczema into different types:
- Atopic Eczema: It is most common type of Eczema. It is also known as Atopic Dermatitis. It is caused due to allergic reactions. It mostly affects hands, feet, face and back of knees. It can occur at any age but usually begins from childhood.
- Contact Dermatitis: It is due to constant contact with allergen that may cause allergy.
- Seborrhoetic Eczema: Commonly it is known as Dandruff. It mainly affects scalp but often it affects eyebrows, sides of the nose and centre of chest.
- Xerotic Eczema: It is due to dryness of skin.
- Stasis Eczema: It is due to circulation problem such as blood pooling in veins of leg.
- Nummular Dermatitis: It affects men more than women. It causes red marks of coin shaped. It mostly appears on legs, forearms, lower back, hips and back of hands.
- Dyshidrotic Dermatitis: Severe itching on hands and feet may be the first symptom. Later on blister can appear and then scaly patches can appear.
In ayurveda, Eczema is known as Vicharchika. According to ayurveda, eczema is caused by vitiation of all three doshas- vata, pitta and kapha. Vitiation of pitta is the most common cause of vicharchika. Vitiation of skin occurs through imbalance between pitta and blood to produce eczema As per ayurveda, vicharchika (eczema) are classified into three different types:
- Vata dosha type: This type of eczema is produced due to the vitiation of the vata dosha. In this commonly dryness of skin is felt. Severe itching and pain is occurred in the affected area.
- Pitta dosha type: Vitiation dosha cause oozing from affected part. Burning and fever are also symptoms shown.
- Kapha dosha type: It is caused due to imbalance of the kapha. In this skin becomes thick with oozing and itching.
Symptoms of Eczema
Signs and symptoms of eczema may vary from person to person. It also look differ or affect different part of body from time to time. Symptoms may be mild, moderate or severe. The common symptoms are:
- Dry, sensitive skin
- Intense itching
- Scaly areas
- Oozing or crusting
- Recurring rashes
- Dark colored patches of skin
Causes of Eczema
The exact cause of eczema is unknown but it is may be due to the overactive response of body's immune system to an allergen can leads to skin diseases like eczema. The common causes of Eczema are:
- Genetic factor- Some types of genes are responsible for eczema for eg. Filaggrin.
- Family history- If any family member associated with any type of allergy or asthma.
- Environmental factors: There are some allergens present in environment like pollutants that may be responsible for eczema.
- Abnormal functioning of immune system.
- Temperature variation: Sometimes it may be due to exposure of different temperature i.e. too cold or too hot temperature.
Diagnosis and Tests
A doctor can diagnose eczema on the basis of following test and data:
- Physical examination: It helps to diagnose your skin.
- Family history: It helps to diagnose family history if there is any family member has allergy or asthma problem.
- Skin biopsy: In this test, remove small piece of skin that helps to diagnose the cause of dry or itchy skin.
- Allergic tests: It helps to provide information about any allergic disease.
Herbal Remedies for Eczema by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Skin Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of eczema. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Usage / Dosage
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with warm water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil - As directed by physician.
- Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar - As directed by physician.
1. Neem Capsules
Standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica) is used to prepare Neem capsules that possess all the medicinal properties of neem. These capsules help to treat any kind of skin ailment like psoriasis, eczema, ringworm and other infectious and non-infectious skin diseases. These capsules are full of medicinal properties just like the herb neem, possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antioxidant and detoxifying properties.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
As the name suggests these herbal capsules help to maintain the health of the skin and help to treat ailments like psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, scabies etc. It helps in maintaining the elasticity, smoothness and firmness of the skin. Strength of hair and nails is also improved by these herbal capsules.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These herbal tablets help in maintaining the moisturized skin and remove the dead skin cells. Purified sulphur (shuddh gandhak) is used to prepare these herbal tablets. Gandhak rasayan tablets have the property of drawing the moisture from the surrounding atmosphere into the skin, hence preventing dryness. It also helps to treat many skin ailments like acne, leprosy, ringworm, scabies etc.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Rubia cordifolia (Manjistha) is the herb used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. It possesses numerous medicinal properties like they act as a blood purifier, promote early wound healing, treat calcium deficiency, relieve skin ailments, relieve menstrual cramps, detoxify the body, destroy tumors and treat joint pains.
5. Nirgundi Oil
Vitex negundo is the main herb content of this oil that helps in relieving various skin complaints. There are also some other herbs in small proportion in Nirgundi oil to enhance its medicinal quality, like Manjistha, Kalihari and Haridra. It aids in faster wound healing, relieves pain, treats leprosy, inflammation of the skin, lesions on the skin, etc.
6. Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
Tea tree oil is the main ingredient of this paraben free bathing soap. Aloe is also present in this herbal soap. Both of the herbs help in maintaining healthy and moisturized skin. It prevents infectious diseases of the skin and also helps to treat them. Regular use of this soap prevents dry skin, moisturizes the skin and clears off the infectious lesions present on the skin.
To buy Skin Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/skin-care-pack
This Skin Care Pack is solution to all type of skin problems like eczema. It is perfect mixture of different herbs that has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic action. Additionally, Neem has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitical properties which purifies blood by removing impurities. It has wonderful property that replaces damaged cells with healthy skin cells. The oil helps to nourish the skin reaching into every layer of skin.
Home Remedies for Eczema
There are some home remedies that may prevent skin disease like eczema. It may include:-
- Avoid wearing tight and scratchy clothing.
- Prevent dry skin by taking lukewarm not hot showers or baths.
- Avoid scratching the rashes.
- Avoid sweating that can causes irritation on rashes.