Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Chikitsa 5/ 28-32
Rasayana (natural rejuvenator) emphasis on prevention and maintenance of health and balanced life. Different types of formulations are explained in Ayurveda such as vati, ghrita, taila and rasayana for various purposes. Eladi Rasayana is described in texts which deals with numerous diseases like cold, cough, abdominal discomfort, memory loss like conditions. Overall it maintains and promotes healthy living. So in this article we will discuss Eladi rasayana ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Eladi Rasayana is classical preparation in Ayurveda texts, rich in various nutrients which elongates life span. Rasayana is devoted to longevity, youth, intelligence, and strengthening sense organs. As the name suggests Eladi Rasayana, Ela (Cardamom) is its primary ingredient which is calming, aromatic in nature. It is beneficial in managing diabetes, abdominal tumors, anemia, etc. conditions. It helps in boosting intelligence, memory, rejuvenating and keeps overall healthy if daily consumed. Rasayana imparts superior rasa, dhatu to the body and acts as a defense mechanism.
According to classical texts, Eladi Rasayana is explained by Acharya Vagbhata in Rajakshma adhyaya. It has Rasayana property which means rejuvenating also known as Eladi sarpiguda rasayana. The various classical indications are mentioned below-
- Medya (improve intelligence)
- Chakshusha (good for eyes)
- Aayushya (longevity)
- Deepan (improves digestive fire)
- Prameh (diabetes)
- Gulma (tumorous growth)
- Kshaya roga (tuberculosis)
- Pandu roga (anaemia)
- Bhagandra (fistula)
The ingredients of Eladi Rasayanam are listed below-
Kshaya Dravya (Decoction Material) - Each 9 Paal (384g)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Ajmoda (Trachyspermium ammi)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminaliabellerica)
- Hingu (Ferula assafoetida)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Chital (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Nimba (Azardica indica)
- Khadira (Acacia catechu)
- Shaal (Shorea robusta)
- Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium)
- Bhallataka (Semecarpus anacardium)
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)
Prakshep Dravya (Powdered Drugs)
- Tugakshiri (Maranta arundinacea- 6 paal- 288g)
- Twak (Cinnamomum zeylenicum- 1 paal- 48 grams)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum- 1 paal- 48 grams)
- Patara (Cinnamomum tamala- 1 paal- 48 grams)
Madhura Dravya (Sweetening Agent)
- Sita (Saccharum officinarum)- 30 paal / 1.45grams
- Madhu (Honey)- 2 prastha / 1.50kg
- Ghrita (Cow’s ghee)- 1 prastha / 768 grams
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Ela- It is very helpful in respiratory disorders and digestive dysfunctioning. It reduces inflammation and is a good source of oxidants. It is helpful in weight loss, bad breath and antimicrobial activity.
- Ajmoda- It is best for managing gastrointestinal conditions like indigestion, bloating, flatulence, abdominal cramps. It has great healing properties and balances kapha dosha.
- Amalaki- It has rejuvenating properties with a rich source of antioxidants, Vitamin C. It strengthens the immune system and digestion. It improves liver, lungs, and brain functioning.
- Haritaki- It has wound healing properties, regulates cough, constipation and indigestion. It improves digestion, gut health and regulates metabolism. It makes skin very healthy.
- Bibhitaki- It is beneficial in loss of appetite, cough, eye and hair related issues. It is effective in purgation, piles and worm infestations. It relaxes the central nervous system.
- Hingu- It aids digestion, relieves bloating, abdominal pain, it prevents microbes and stomach infections. It manages bronchitis, kidney stones and hair related issues.
- Shunthi- It is used as antioxidants, prevents headache, stomach disorders, and cough. It reduces pain, inflammation and skin related issues. It also aids in digestion.
- Marich- It relieves bloating, abdominal pain, cough, asthma, congestion. It protects the liver and kidney, their functioning. It is hot in potency and aids digestion.
- Pippali- It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-microbial effects. It manages colds, coughs, clears mucus and reduces intestinal functions. It prevents muscular pain and removes toxins.
- Chitrak- It is used to manage jaundice, urinary calculus, skin diseases and abscess formation. It is used as antiseptic and anti-helminthic. It improves gut health and indigestion.
- Nimba- It eliminates parasites from skin and intestines. It reduces fever and urinary tract infections. It is very helpful in wound healing and worm infestations.
- Khadira- It controls bleeding from gums or piles and due to its cold potency is very useful in skin conditions like allergies, itching, rashes, dermatitis, urticaria, etc.
- Shaal- It relieves pain and various infections. It reduces pain, swelling and inflammation. It treats leprosy, wounds, ulcers and helps in healing wounds, boils, diabetic wounds.
- Asana- It balances kapha, pitta dosha and skin related infections. It has antidiabetic action and is rich in essential nutrients to boost blood circulation.
- Bhallataka- It is useful in common colds, coughs, asthma and respiratory disorders. It acts as anti-allergic, analgesics and anti-inflammatory.
- Vidanga- It manages worm infestations, vomiting, indigestion, and flatulence due to its hot potency. It is also useful in constipation, removing toxins from blood and skin diseases.
- Tugakshiri- It enhances immunity, manages ulcers, diabetic wounds like conditions. It is effective in constipation and excessive urination.
- Twak- It relieves vomiting and acts as digestive stimulant. It is beneficial for cold, cough and tuberculosis like disorders. It enhances skin health and acts as antiseptic.
- Patara- It manages bad odor from mouth, black spots on face, dental caries, any type of swelling. It regulates intestinal system, brain functioning and immunity.
- Sita- It contains various nutrients, vitamins and amino acids. It balances the pH of the stomach and secretes digestive juices. It calms pitta and is a rich source of calcium, iron and magnesium.
- Madhu- It is a rich source of antioxidants, heals wounds, helps in digestion and soothes sore throat. It is useful in stress, anxiety and depression also.
- Cow’s ghee- It is a rich source of vitamins, ensuring cellular functioning and body growth. It boosts immunity, memory, eye sight, bones and muscles.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Eladi Rasayan are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare kwath (decoction) from the kwath dravya into 16 times water, reduced to one eighth in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Add cow’s Ghrit to the decoction prepared and cook it on mild heat.
- After Paka Lakshana filters the solution obtained and adds all Prakshepa dravyas (powdered drugs) to the solution obtained.
- At last mix the solution properly and filter it once again.
- Now Eladi Rasayana is obtained, stored in a clean airtight glass container, away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Eladi rasayana are as given below-
- It acts on the respiratory system.
- It has a great effect on the digestive system.
- It provides strength to body tissues.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- It acts against all microorganisms.
The indications of Eladi Rasayana are as follows-
- Memory loss
- Improves vision, intellect
- Digestive disorders
- No such conditions are mentioned when this formulation is not given.
- During lactation or pregnancy should consult the physician.
- Overdose or improper administration may cause gastric irritations.
Dosage / Usage
10-15 grams once or twice a day after meals.
With milk or water.
Katu (Pungent), Madhura (Sweet).
Above mentioned Eladi Rasayanam is a herbal preparation having properties of Rasayana like longevity, rejuvenating, intelligence, memory, etc. Overall it improves intellect, vision, digestion and keeps healthy. This formulation is found in the consistency of jam like and made of all herbal medicines. So for any above described indications Eladi rasayana is used if any concern you may consult to the physician.