Reference - Ashtangam Hridyam Chikitsa 8/ 55-56 , Ashtanga Hridayam Uttarsthan 22/ 102
This is a powder or tablet polyherbal preparation which is used in kaph predominant disorders. Haritaki (Terminala chebula) is used in this formulation which is one of the ingredients of Triphla. As the name suggests, Terminalia and cow’s urine are its primary ingredients to be used. It reduces swelling, growth, inflammation, infections, skin related issues, anaemia, etc. In this article, we will discuss Gomutra haritaki composition of drugs, method of preparation, properties, indications and dosage according to classics.
Gomutra Haritaki is an Ayurvedic classical formulation described in texts for various disorders. In this formulation Haritaki is processed in cow’s urine and other herbal decoctions. It is useful in managing oral cavity disorders, piles, skin diseases, diabetes, abdominal disorders, etc. It can be taken in the form of powder, tablets or as haritaki fruit with honey. It helps in balancing, dosha, dhatu of the body and improves digestive fire.
According to classical texts, Gomutra haritaki is explained by Acharya Vagbhat in arsha chikitsa and a variety of other disorders. Among all doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) it acts on vitiated kapha dosha. The various indications mentioned in classics are-
- Kaphaj arsha (piles)
- Kustha (leprosy)
- Shoath (swelling)
- Gulma (tumours)
- Prameha (diabetes)
- Udarroga (abdominal disorders)
- Krimi (worm infestation)
- Granthi, arbudh, apachi(cystic swelling)
- Sthaulya (obesity)
- Pandu (anaemia)
- Urustambha (stiff body)
The list of ingredients are given as following-
Drava Dravya (Decoction Drugs)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Prakshep Drugs (Powdered Drugs)
- Gomutra (Cow’s urine)
- Mishri (Anethum sowa)
- Kustha (Sausseria lappa)
Madhura Dravya (Sweetening Agent)
- Madhu (Honey)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)- Haritaki supports bowel movements and gut health. It flushes toxins from the body, improves digestion and boosts metabolism. It is also useful in cognitive functions and reproductive health. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cow’s urine- Cow’s urine is cleansing and detoxifying in nature. It kills bacteria, germs and balances vata, pitta and kapha dosha. It is beneficial in skin conditions like leprosy, psoriasis, peptic ulcers, allergies, itching, etc. It manages liver, kidney and respiratory ailments.
- Honey- Honey is a rich source of nutrients, acts as antioxidant, anti bacterial and maintains a balanced diet of food. It prevents microbes and helps in wound healing. It works against all types of infections and relief from cough and cold-like symptoms. It is also helpful in acidity or gastric reflux like conditions.
- Mishri (Anethum sowa)- Anethum reduces pain, inflammation and has antidiarrhoeal activities. It improves digestive system disorders, oral ulcers and reduces abdominal pains due to anti-spasmodic activities. It acts as a good appetiser and helps in indigestion. It has antiseptic, carminative and laxative properties.
- Kustha (Sausseria lappa)- Kustha improves digestion and prevents bacterial growth. It is helpful in toothache, headache, worm infestations and has antioxidant and analgesic properties. It is beneficial in cough, asthma and breathlessness.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Gomutra haritaki are as follows-
- Firstly collect 100 fruits of haritaki and wash them properly.
- Then keep haritaki for drying in the shade in a clean vessel.
- Then cook the haritaki in cow’s urine on a mild heat.
- At last take it away from heat and have two haritaki fruits daily with honey.
- Then if wanted you can add haritaki to the decoction of mishri in kustha dravyas.
- Store haritaki in a clean airtight glass container.
The properties of Gomutra haritaki are given as following-
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Maintain oral cavity hygiene.
- It acts as anti allergic or has anti his antihistamine effect.
- It regulates the digestive system.
- It helps in blood circulation and purification.
The basic indications of Gomutra haritaki is as given following-
- Skin allergies
- Rheumatic diseases
The conditions when Gomutra haritaki not given are-
- Gastric ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers
- Gastric irritation
- Avoided during pregnancy, lactation
Dosage / Usage
5-15 grams (2 haritaki fruit) twice a day after meals.
Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Pungent, Astringent.
Like Cow's Urine
As mentioned above, Gomutra haritaki manages kapha predominant disorders like skin diseases, piles, edema, inflammation and abdominal disorders. This formulation has been used since ancient times for various purposes. So you can follow above guidelines regarding this formulation if any concern you may consult to the physician.