Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana) - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference - Sahasrayoga Urdhwanga Roga Chikitsa (Netraroga) – 52.
Introduction of Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana)
Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana) is an ayurvedic formulation which is prepared from various mixture of herbs. It is an eye care formula used for the treatment of corneal ulcer, Pterygium, early stage of cataract etc. This medicine is very helpful to treat the eye problems. This medicine is also called as Narikela Anjana.
Ingredients of Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana)
- Amalaki - Emblica officinalis
- Haritaki - Terminalia chebula
- Madhuka - Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Darvi - Berberis aristata
- Vibhitaki - Terminalia bellirica
- Narikela jala - Coconut water
- Gambhari - Gmelina arborea
- Karpoora - Cinnamomum camphora
- Saindhava Lavana - Rock salt
Uses of Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana)
- Used in ayurvedic treatment for eye problem due to aggravated Pitta.
- It is also useful in relieving eye infection.
- This gives great comfort to the eyes.
- Helpful in the case of poor vision due to exposure to heat, sun and smoke.
Effects on Doshas
Balances Pitta and Vata dosha in eyes.
Method of Preparation
- Took the herbs darvi, vibhitaki, haritaki and amalaki up to 96 grams, madhuka up to 144 grams and narikela jala up to 8.172 litres.
- Mixed these herbs and boiled up to its volume reduced to 1.022 litres i.e. up to its one fourth volume.
- After this process, filter the solution and heat to get semisolid consistency.
- Take out this from fire and add other remaining powders of karpoora up to 12 grams, rock salt up to 6 grams and gambhari up to 12 grams.
- Cool it down and add honey up to 170 grams.
- Mix well and your Elaneer Kuzhambu is ready for use.
Usage of Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana)
- This is applied as a paste or as eye drops in the eyes. It is used in the inner side of the eyelids.
- It is used as collyrium.
Indications of Elaneer Kuzhambu (Narikelanjana)
- Eye infections
- Early stage of cataract
- Corneal ulcer
- Poor vision due to smoke, sun or heat.
- Over dose can cause eye irritations.
- Used under medical prescription.