Ayurvedic Treatment of Food Poisoning
Nowadays food poisoning is very common problem. It may be due to unhygienic conditions, any infectious disease, contaminated food or any infectious organisms like bacteria, viruses, parasites which cause food poisoning. This problem can be prevented with proper diet and lifestyle including healthy diet and hygienic conditions.
What is food poisoning?
Food poisoning is also called Foodborne illness or Foodborne disease. This illness can be caused by eating any contaminated food, infectious organisms or any toxin in food which results in food poisoning. This can be started after few hours of eating which can be characterized by vomiting, diarrhea or nausea. It may be mild or severe.
What can be the symptoms?
The symptoms may vary according to the cause of food poisoning.
The common signs and symptoms may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Diarrhea or sometimes bloody diarrhea
- Fever and Chills
- Loss of appetite
What can be the Causes of food poisoning?
There are many causes of food poisoning but contamination of food is most common which may be due to following reason:-
Contamination of food may be due to bacteria, virus or parasite:-
- Bacteria - It is the most common cause of food poisoning. Commonly salmonella is the major and common bacteria for food poisoning. Campylobacter and Campylobacter botulism are other bacteria which are lesser known for food poisoning.
- Parasites- It is not common as that of bacteria. Toxoplasma is the common parasite in case of food poisoning.
- Viruses - Food poisoning by viruses is rare but it may be life threatening. The norvo virus, hepatitis A are the virus that may be responsible for food poisoning.
- Unhygienic conditions - Sometimes food may be contaminated while cooking or surrounding conditions like cooking and eating food without hand wash.
Foods associated with food poisoning
There are some foods that may be responsible for food poisoning which may be:
- Unwashed fruits and vegetables
- Unsaturated milk or other fluids
Food poisoning can be diagnosed on the basis of symptoms. But in severe cases, doctor may recommend some tests like:
- Blood tests
- Urine and stool test
- Food test that you have eaten
According to Ayurveda, microorganism affect the human beings and may cause any infectious disease. In Ayurveda, food poisoning is due to unhygienic conditions of eating food and eating contaminated food. As per Ayurveda, our body has three energies- vata, pitta and kapha which are responsible for healthy life. Imbalance of any three doshas results in diseased condition. In Ayurveda Aalsak and visuchika are diseases which are comparable to food poisoning.
As per Ayurveda, this problem can be prevented with the proper diet and lifestyle. This disease can be managed with the help of herbs like giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Ashawangandha (Withania somnifera), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Pippali (Piper longum) etc. These herbs are prepared in the form of different formulations like capsules, tablets or churna (powder).
Natural Herbs for Food Poisoning
Food poisoning is not a big problem it can be managed with the help of useful Ayurvedic medicines. This condition can be reversed within 5-7 days or even earlier. It can be managed with the help of natural herbs like giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Ashawangandha (Withania somnifera), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Pippali (Piper longum) etc.
Herbal Remedies for Food Poisoning
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Giloy Capsules, Digestion Support, Ashwagandha Capsules, Arogyavardhini Vati, Vatsakadi Churna for ayurvedic treatment of food poisoning. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.
Giloy capsules are wonderful and effective herbal formulation which are prepared from the pure extracts of herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia).
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is also called amrita or guduchi because of its medicinal importance. It is found in almost all the parts of country. It is effective against infectious diseases. It also helps to provide relief in symptoms of food poisoning.
Dose - One capsule twice in a day with plain water after meals.
Digestion support is quite beneficial for the treatment of stomach disorder and supports the healthy digestive system.
This herbal product is the combination of various ingredients which are discussed below:-
- Amlaki (Emblica officinalis) - This herb helps to balance the vata, pitta and kapha thus provides the relief in food poisoning and digestive disorders. It also has immune modulator properties.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) - It provides relief in digestive problems and liver related problems.
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica) - It helps to improve the digestion process and also maintains the stomach pH.
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare) - It provides the relief in flatulence and gas. It helps to improve digestion.
- Jeerak (Cyminum cuminum) - It helps to provide the relief in the heartburn, nausea and vomiting which are symptoms of food poisoning.
- Pippali (Piper longum) - It also supports the healthy digestive system.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum) - Dhania is the most common spice used in Indian kitchen and has the great medicinal importance in Ayurveda. It helps to provide relief in gastritis and stomach pain.
Dose - One capsule two times in a day.
It is 100% natural capsules obtained from Withania somnifera.
Withania somnifera - It is commonly known as Ashwagandha. It is a small shrub which belongs to family Solanaceae. This plant is native to India, parts of Africa and Mediterranean.
- It helps to promote overall wellbeing of body.
- It enhances the immunity of body.
- It has good anti-oxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It possesses natural rejuvenating properties for the body. It is also used in fatigue, stress and weakness.
Dose - One capsule twice in a day with plain water after meals.
These are pure herbal tablets which support overall health. The word Arogya means good health and Vardhini means improves.
These are prepared from different herbs given below:
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica)
- Amlaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Shuddh Shilajit (Asphaltum)
- Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
- Chitrak mool (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Kutki (Picorrhiza kurroa)
Benefits - It supports the healthy digestive system, immune system. It is useful in various diseased conditions like obesity, jaundice and liver related problems. It is helpful in skin related and infectious diseases. It is good for indigestion, lack of appetite. It helps to balance all three doshas.
Dose - 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water after meals.
It is herbal powder which supports the healthy digestive system. It is pure and natural herbal product which is mixture of different herbs.
Main ingredients of Vatasakadi churna:-
- Kutaz (Holarrhena antidyssentrica): This herb has stomachic, carminative and aphrodisiac properties. The seeds and bark of this plant is used for medicinal formulations.
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare): It is commonly used in kitchen. It is known with name fennel seeds. It is used as mouth freshener. It helps in digestion of food because it contains phytoestrogens. It helps to remove toxins from body.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum): It has several medicinal properties. It is common spice used in Indian cooking. It has carminative, digestive, astringent, appetizer, anthelmintic properties.
- Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans): It is also known as nutmeg. It has great medicinal value in Ayurveda. It is useful in digestive system, cold, rhinitis and dyspnea.
Dose - Adults-1- 2 teaspoonful of the powder along with water after meals. Children-1/2- 1 teaspoon of powder once in a day.
Prevention of Food Poisoning
It is rightly said that "Prevention is better than cure".
- Separate raw food and prepared food.
- Avoid eating street foods, junk foods.
- Wash your hands before and after cooking and eating.
- Do not refrigerate food for long time.