Ayurvedic Treatment of Dementia
Dementia is a progressive and chronic syndrome involving decline in cognitive functions (i.e. the ability to process thought) which is not to be considered as symptom of normal ageing. It causes impairment of intellectual functioning that includes loss in memory, thinking, orientation, comprehension, calculation, learning capacity, language, and judgment but does not affect the Consciousness. The impairment in cognitive function is usually accompanied, and occasionally followed, by deterioration in emotional control, social behavior, or motivation. The probability of Dementia increases with age.
It interferes with social or occupational functioning and even creating problem for care givers and family which makes it a kind of dependency for older.
Causes of Dementia
It is more frequent with increasing age.
All dementias are caused by degeneration of nerve cells in brain, the nerve cells die more quickly than in case of normal ageing.
Some cases of Dementia are reversible:-
These medical conditions include - Thiamine deficiency due to alcoholism as well as brain injury, strokes, multiple sclerosis, HIV infection and brain tumors.
- Thyroid disease (hypothyroidism)
- Vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Heavy-metal poisoning, such as from lead.
- Drug interactions and Drug toxicity.
- Some of the brain tumors.
- fluid build-up in the brain (hydrocephalus)
- Some cases of chronic alcoholism.
- Some cases of encephalitis.
- HIV Infections.
- Infection of the brain (meningitis and syphilis).
Some cases are irreversible but are progressive in nature:-
- Vascular dementia - this results from death of brain cells which is caused by damage to blood vessels supplying to brain and prevents normal blood flow, the brain cells are deprived of oxygen.
- Injury - post-traumatic dementia is directly related to brain cell death caused by injury.
- Alzheimer's Disease - caused due to progressive brain cell death. There is plaque and tangle formation in the brain cell and there is progressive decrease in number of cells and ultimately the size of brain shrinks.
- In Parkinson's disease.
Some disorders that causes dementia that runs in families i.e. it is inherited.
Ayurvedic view for Dementia is disturbance and imbalance in the three doshas of the body Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Vata (mainly Prana vata) has considerable role in Dementia. It can be compared to smriti - bhransh (loss of memory) in Ayurveda.
Symptoms of Dementia
Early symptoms of dementia (cognitive impairment) are often mild and may get worse only very gradually.
- There is frequent and progressive loss of memory as asking same question again and again, forgetting the same question asked before.
- Difficulty in completing similar tasks - like preparation of drinks or cooking food, then forgetting and leaving it as such.
- Communication problems - language speaking difficulty by forgetting simple words or using the wrong ones.
- Getting lost on a previously familiar street close to home
- Judgement becomes poor.
- Problems in dealing with money.
- Misplacing things - like keeping them in the wrong places and then forgetting about.
- Mood changes and swinging quickly through a set of moods.
- Personality also changes - irritating behavior, doubtful or fearful.
- Loss of creativity - decreased interest in initiating something or going somewhere.
Herbal Remedies for Dementia
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Brahmi Capsules, Gotukola Capsules, Memory Support & Medhya Churna for ayurvedic treatment of dementia. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
This herbal formulation is prepared from the pure and standardized extracts of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). Useful product which act as Nerve tonic, Brain sharpener, Improves short and long term memory, Reduces anxiety and promotes calmness
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): Brahmi, a natural herb which increases the functioning of brain as it e nhances the coordination between the components of the nervous system. It is helpful in managing depression and stress occurring due to mental disorders. It supports relaxation of mind and thereby calms the brain. It gives a great boost to intelligence and confidence. Hence, the product is effective one to manage this disorder.
Dose: 2 capsules, two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
Gotukola capsules are prepared using the standardized extract of Gotukola herb (Indian pennywort). This herbal product helps to support healthy blood circulation and maintains the healthy brain by balancing psychic energies (Satva, Rajas and Tamas) and all the three doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in body.
Gotukola (Centella asiatica): This natural herb Gotukola is helpful against stress and anxiety. It is nutrients rich herb having a brilliant action on concentration power. This useful herb is excellent to manage the symptoms of dementia to a great extent.
Dose: 2 capsules, two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
These are herbal capsules which are prepared using the pure extracts of four wonderful herbs and the herbs include- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Shankhpushpi (Convolovulus pluricaulis) and Licorice (Glycerrhiza glabra). It supports in maintaining healthy memory.
Beneficial to manage loss of memory. It increases the brain power and supports its healthy functioning. Excellent in managing memory related disorders as well as to manage lack of concentration and retention power. The product supports in recollecting and remembering things. All the natural herbs act effectively in managing Dementia.
- Brahmi (Bacoppa monnieri): The Bacopa monnieri commonly grows in marshy areas. The leaves of this plant are 4-6 mm thick. They are arranged oppositely on the stem. The flowers are small and white in color.
- Vacha (Acorus calamus): Acorus calamus is a natural herb having medicinal properties used since ancient times, contains many constituents in it such as alkaloids, flavonoids, mucilage, tannins and steroids etc. As in Ayurveda this herb is explained as supporter in improving memory. Therapeutically it is an effective herb for enhancing memory and a good CNS stimulant.
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis): This medicinal plant has the potential to enhance the retention power and the remembering capacity of the brain
- Licorice (Glycerrhiza glabra): It is an herbal plant with medicinal properties that boosts the memory and enhances analytical abilities of the brain.
Dose: 1-2 capsules, two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
This herbal formulation acts to improve memory, increases the memory and concentration span, reduces the anxieties, and boost the confidence. This herbal powder is made up of standardized extracts of certain useful herbs:
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum)
- Shwet Jeerak (Cuminum cyminum)
- Krishna Jeerak (Carum carvi)
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pipali (Piper longum)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
This herbal medicine supports to improve memory, recollect things and retain better. This herbal product has combination of natural herbs which are individually effective in sharpening the brain and increasing memory and are very supportive to rejuvenate the nervous system. Enhances concentration and as well cause the mental clarity also. It is an excellent Ayurvedic herbal product in Dementia.
Dosage - 1 pinch of powder twice daily or 1 gram twice daily.