Reference: Ashtanga Hridayam
Gandha Thailam (Oil) is also known as Gandhaka taila. It is a herbal formulation in the form of an oil. It is used to treat arthritis, weak bones. It is used for oral intake. It is also available in the form of capsules. It helps in balancing Vata and Pitta.
- Sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum)
- Cow Milk
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Nalada (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Valaka (Coleus vettiveroides)
- Lohitayashtika (Rubia cordifolia)
- Nakha / Naguna
- Soya (Anethum sowa)
- Motha (Cyperus rotundus)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Atibala (Abutilon indicum)
- Mahabala (Grewia populifolia)
- Agaru (Aquilaria agallocha)
- Kumkuma (Crocus sativus)
- Sandalwood (Santalum album)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Sarala (Pinus roxburghii)
- Sarjarasa (Vateria indica)
- Maradaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Padmakadi Gana (Group of herbs explained as Padmakadi Gana)
- Eladi Gana (Group of herbs explained as Eladi group)
- Shaileya (Parmelia perlata)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Amshumati (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Kaseruka (Scirpus grossus)
- Kalanusari (Polyalthia longifolia)
- Nata (Lobelia nicotianaefolia)
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Rodhra (Symolocos racemosa)
- Kakoli (Roscoea purpurea)
- Durva (Cynodon dactylon)
Method of Preparation
Sesame seeds are tied in a cloth and kept in flowing water for a week. Then it is soaked in milk and decoction of Licorice daily and dried in shade. This is done for a week. Once again it is soaked in milk, removed from its husk and powdered, it is then mixed with finely powdered herbs – from (Nalada to Eladi Gana herbs listed above), and mashed with milk. Then herbal oil is cooked with the above mentioned drugs. It is then added with paste of group of herbs (from Shaileya to Durva listed above), milk and oil. The entire mixture is filtered and the filtrate is stored in a clean bottle away from heat and light.
Gandha Thailam, herbal oil preparation is widely used in management of various joint problems like Arthritis, osteoporosis, fracture, dislocation. This oil has ability to balance the vata and pitta doshas in body and their related problems. It possesses various medicinal properties like analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant etc. It helps in fast recovery of bone fracture and restores the stability of bones. It is quite beneficial in all type of joint disorders. It supports the bones formation and prevents further bone loss and also helps to maintain the natural bone density in osteopenia and osteoporosis. It is mainly targeted towards the bone strength and bone mass. It also improves the strength of joints, bones and ligaments. It is also used in the management of ligament injuries.
- Enhances bone mass and strength.
- Strengthens joints
- Strengthens ligaments
- Treats ligament injuries
- Oil - 5 to 10 drops twice daily before meals with warm water or milk or as directed by the doctor.
- Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily.
- Over dosage might cause complications.
- Self-medication should be discouraged.