Reference: Sahasra Yoga Kashaya prakarana, 394, Vatahara Kwatha.
Gandharvahasthadi Kashayam is an Ayurvedic medicine in the herbal decoction form. This ayurvedic medicine is used to treat the diseases which are due to the imbalance of vata doshas. It is used in digestion problem like flatulence, anorexia and bloating etc.
गन्धर्वहस्त चिरबिल्व हुताशविश्व ।
पथ्या पुनर्नवा यवासक भुमितालै: ॥
क्वाथस्सुसैन्धवगुड: पवनस्य शान्त्यै: ।
वह्नेर्बलायरुचये मलशोधनाय ॥
- Gandharvahasta - castor seed - Ricinus communis
- Chirabilva - Holoptelea integrifolia
- Hutasha - Chitraka - Plumbago zeylanica
- Vishwa - Ginger - Zingiber officinalis
- Pathya - Harad - Terminalia chebula
- Punarnava - Boerhaavia diffusa
- Yavasa - Alhagi pseudalhagi
- Bhumiamla - Phyllanthus niruri
Method of Preparation
All the above mentioned ingredients are added with 8 parts of water. It is boiled until reduced to quarter part to make the Gandharvahasthadi Kwatha (Kashayam).
- Take 5-10 ml, on empty stomach or before food with lukewarm water once or twice a day or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Traditionally it is administered along with rock and jaggery.
- If the kashayam is concentrated, then it needs to be mixed with equal quantity of water and should be taken.
- Has cleansing effect over intestines
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal gas and pain
- High blood pressure
- Low back pain
Gandharvahastadi Kashayam for Nitya Virechana
As it has mild purgative property, this medicine is given in a dose of 15-30 ml, to be mixed with equal quantity of water at night, to encourage purgation on the next day. This is done on daily basis. This is called Nitya Virechana.
It is continued for 7-15 days based on the digestion strength of the patient and strength of the disease. It is done in cases Vata imbalance disorders such as of lumbar Spondylosis, back pain, heal pain, foot pain, in cases of ascites, etc.
- Take this medicine under the medical supervision.
- It may worsen diarrhea in people already suffering from it.