Guarana (Paullinia Cupana) - Uses and Health Benefits
What is Guarana?
Guarana (Paullinia cupana) is a plant which has intoxicant, anti-cancer, antibacterial, enhance athletic performance, reduce mental and physical fatigue and weight loss effects properties which make it useful in the medicinal era.
The Habitat of the Guarana
It is a climber which belongs to maple family and has large leaves and clusters of flowers. The fruit of it is very much similar to the coffee bean by size. Fruit is orange green in color and has seed inside. It is a flavoring agent and is being used as a source of caffeine in the soft drink industry.
- Kingdom : Plantae - Plants
- Subkingdom : Tracheobionta - Vascular plants
- Superdivision : Spermatophyta - Seed plants
- Division : Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants
- Class : Magnoliopsida - Dicotyledons
- Subclass : Rosidae
- Order : Sapindales
- Family : Sapindaceae - Soapberry family
- Genus : Paullinia L. P
- Species : Paullinia cupana Kunth - Guarana
- Scientific Name : Paullinia Cupana
- English : Brazilian Cocoa, Guarana
- Brazil : Guarana, Guarana Sipo, Guarana Uva
- Dutch : Guarana
- German : Guarana
- Peru : Cupana
- Venezuela : Cupana
What is the Nutrient Composition of Guarana?
Guaranine is the prime constituent in the seeds. The natural phenols like catechins and epicatechin are also found in it. Ash, resin, starch, tannin, theobromine, theophylline, protein and fat are also present in different quantities in the seeds.
What are the Medicinal Qualities of Guarana?
- Analgesic : Relieves pain.
- Antiaggregant : Decrease platelet aggregation and prevents the thrombus formation. It is also effective in the arterial circulation, because of its anticoagulants effect.
- Anti-inflammatory : Reduces inflammation.
- Aphrodisiac : Stimulates sexual desire.
- Diuretic : Causes increased passing of urine.
- Immunostimulant : Increase the motility of the gastrointestinal and smoothens the muscle.
- Stimulant : Temporarily increase alertness and energy.
- Thermogenic : Increase the heat in the body.
- Tonic : Has the property to restore, tone and invigorate systems in the body.
What are the Indications where Guarana is used?
- Intestinal problems
- Develop stamina
- Nervous system
- Blood pressure
- Boosting energy and alertness
- Increasing stamina and libido
- Pain along the course of a nerve, especially in the head or face
- Urinary tract infections
- Water Retention
How is Guarana Beneficial in Anxiety?
Guarana has calm and coolant potency due to which it has the property of cooling the stress, and calming the pressure of brain which gives relaxation.
Is Guarana Beneficial in Appetite?
Intake of Guarana improves the appetite, reduces the production of Ama and which has control over the balanced weight.
How is Guarana Beneficial in Mental Performance?
Guarana improves the thinking speed and some aspects of memory. When it is given with the combination of Ginseng it increases and enhances the intellectual performance. To increase the level of concentration it is given with Rhodiola. By the use of Guarana one gets relief from a headache, migraine also improves the blood circulation.
How is Guarana Beneficial in Being Energetic?
Guarana contains B vitamins, vitamin C, and minerals which makes the body energetic and improves the exercise tolerance. Due to its properties, it reduces and manages the symptoms of fatigue. Also increases the immune system.
Is Guarana Beneficial in Weight Loss?
As it has the property to control Ama production and reduces the toxins which are responsible for weight loss. The property of Guarana burns the fat. Thus it is helpful in weight loss.
How is Guarana Considered as a pain Reliever?
Guarana has anti-inflammatory, analgesic property which reduces the stiffness and inflammation which controls the pain of the joints.
How can Guarana Improve the Skin Appearance?
The antioxidant and antimicrobial property present in it makes it beneficial for the skin. The cosmetic industry uses it in making of anti-aging cream, soap, lotion and hair products. It reduces the sagginess of cheeks, improves skin tightness, and minimizes the wrinkles beside the eyes.
Does Guarana Helpful in Eye Disorders - Age?
Guarana has the compounds which fight against the oxidative stress, an age-related eye disorders like macular degeneration, cataracts, and glaucoma.
How is Guarana Helpful in Boosting the Health of the Heart?
The antioxidant property of Guarana helps in blood flow and prevents clotting of blood. It helps in proper circulation of the blood through heart.
How much Guarana is Safe Per Day?
The safe and standard dose of Guarana for energy is 200 to 800 milligrams per day.
Is Guarana a Stimulant?
These herbal seeds are considered as a dietary supplement and an effective stimulant. The Guarana seeds has the caffine which is twice than found in coffee seeds (about 2-4.5% caffeine in Guarana seeds, compared to 1-2% for coffee seeds).
- Tonic - 5 to 10ml
- Powder - 3 to 6gm
What are the Contraindication of Guarana?
- The pregnant and lactating mother should not use the herb
- Stomach irritation
- Increased heart rate
- Bladder control problems (Incontinence)
- High blood pressure