Healthy Diet and Lifestyle During Pregnancy
In every woman's life, there is a time that they want to get pregnant and have a baby. Being able to conceive is a blessing for a woman. It is an exciting and precious time for the couple and especially for the mother who is carrying the baby in her womb. It is totally a new phase of her life where they are surrounded by the ocean of emotions. Pregnancy brings lots of changes both physically and mentally. So it is mandatory for women to maintain a healthy lifestyle because now it's not only about them it's also about the little life that is being developed inside them.
So as we all know that pregnancy not only brings joy but also brings responsibility. In modern times when most of the women are working, they have a stressful, unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits. And it is very stressful for every female on earth. During this time they should be more conscious about their health and diet because whatever the woman eats and drinks during this time of their pregnancy is the direct source of nutrients for the baby. The mother should include a variety of healthy food for the growth and development of the baby. So we are going to discuss the healthy diet and lifestyle that they should follow during the time of the pregnancy or the women who are planning for the pregnancy.
Diet For Pregnant Women
The main aim is to have a balanced diet which will provide nutrition. Firstly we would discuss the nutrients that are important for every pregnant woman. The nutrients and minerals that should be taken on a daily basis include:-
As we have all studied, calcium helps in building our bones strong and the same thing goes for the baby. Taking calcium is very important and if the mother does not include enough calcium in their diet this could cause deficiency of Calcium in the mother because the foetus will start to observe the stored mineral from the bones of the mother. So, including this mineral in their diet will help the foetus to build strong teeth and bones.
This mineral itself is very nutritional. It will help in prevention from any kind of deformity in the foetus. Folic acid should be included in the diet during or one month before the pregnancy.
It is important for the production of blood as iron is the main constituent. This mineral assists to form more blood which will further be supplied to the foetus along with oxygen. Low iron levels cause the mother to suffer anemia which is dangerous for both the lives.
Foods That Should Be Taken During Pregnancy
Women who are pregnant should include good sources of proteins in their meal which will support the growth of the foetus. Foods like fish, bean, cheese, tofu, nuts, milk and meat should be considered on daily basis. 70 to 100g of protein is enough for a day which helps to repair the damaged tissue, make antibodies to build the immunity and will maintain the transportation of oxygen to the foetus through the blood.
Note:- Canned fish should be avoided.
This includes yoghurt, cheese and milk which are a rich source of protein, vitamin D and calcium and as we have discussed above all these are very important during the time of pregnancy. 1000 to 1300 mg of total milk products throughout the day will be enough to provide calcium.
It is very important to include fruit in the diet. So the fruits that should be included are:-
- Orange:- It contains Vitamin C, Folate and Water. Consuming orange will keep you hydrated and will prevent any kind of cell damage.
- Pears:- Contains Potassium, Folate, and Fiber which will help in constipation one of the common problem faced during pregnancy
- Apricot:- Contain nutrients like Vitamin A, C, and E along with Potassium, Calcium, and Iron. This assists in the overall development of the baby.
- Mangoes:- Have Vitamin A and C nutrient. It aids in building the immunity of the baby.
- Pomegranate:- It contains Vitamin K, Folate, Protein, Iron and Calcium. Drinking pomegranate juice every day decreases the risk of developing any harm to the placenta.
- Guava:- It has polyphenol, folate, Vitamin C and E which helps in relaxing the muscles and reduces constipation.
- Banana:- This contains Vitamin C along with Fiber and Potassium which will help in reducing ailments like vomiting and the feeling of nausea during pregnancy.
- Apples:- Fiber, Potassium, Vitamin A and C nutrients are present in the apple which is effective in reducing the risk of developing Asthma for the baby in the future after birth.
Note:- All these are very good during pregnancy one bowl including each fruit in a day will be enough.
The vegetables that should be included during the pregnancy are Sweet potato because they help in equal differentiation of the cells during the development of the baby, Broccoli which has many benefits and one of them are reducing inflammation, constipation, strengthening the bones, preventing them to become anaemic and many more, Bell pepper improves iron absorption and Potato which ensures the development of the spine during the development of the baby. Green leafy vegetables are also very important.
It includes Quinoa, Oats, Brown rice or White rice which is full of nutrients like vitamins, minerals and is good for both mother and the child.
Foods That Should Be Avoided During The Pregnancy Are
- Uncooked eggs or any kind of uncooked meat should be avoided as it contains germ called Listeria which is harmful to pregnant women. No problem for women who are not pregnant.
- Foods which are high in Vitamin A like cod liver oil which will be harmful to the baby.
- Limit the intake of caffeine like tea, coffee, chocolate which can cause the low weight of the foetus.
Healthy Lifestyle For Pregnant Woman
Along with diet, it is important to have a healthy lifestyle too and this includes:-
- Staying hydrated and drinking an equal amount of water throughout the day is very important.
- Avoid drinking alcohol harms the development of the baby and can cause abnormalities called fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Avoid smoking as it can cause long term effect on the baby.
- Stress should be avoided because it is not good to take tension when you are pregnant.
- Exercise like walking and swimming is very good during pregnancy as it helps to maintain a healthy body and mind. Also, remember not to do heavy training exercise at all.
- Yoga is also recommended which will help to calm your mind and body.
- Do not carry heavy objects which are harmful.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is also very important.
- Sexual intercourse should be avoided during pregnancy as it may cause pain during the pregnancy and the mother may end up bleeding.
Thus all these are important diet and lifestyle which should be kept in mind when you are pregnant. One of the most important things is the right time to choose for pregnancy because some people end up getting pregnant when they are not healthy or either they don't want to get pregnant at that time. Both the partners should decide the time they want to step ahead in their life and desired to have a new member in their life.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile