Heartburn is a burning sensation in the central chest or the upper chest abdomen. It is also called as acid indigestion. The pain may get often worse on lying or bending down. It is mainly due to regurgitation of the gastric reflux into the esophagus (Food pipe). It causes chest pain, which may radiate to the jaw or throat.
According to Ayurveda, Normally the human body consists of three humor (Vata,Pitta and kapha). Acid reflux caused due to alleviation of the pitta humor in the body. It symbolizes fire and features are hot, sharp, intense, acidic, and pungent in nature. It is located in the stomach. Due to increase of pitta dosha there is an increase of acidic content in the stomach fluid. In these types of patient, the acid reflux is more often due to aggravation of the pitta dosha which leads to acid reflux.
Esophageal and heart attack symptoms are same, as both heart and esophagus use the same nerve supply.
In the diagnosis of a heart attack or cardiac disease, the patient first diagnose with the unexplained heart attack. A patient with chest pain related to GERD is difficult to distinguish clinically from those with chest pain due to the cardiac disease. Further investigation will confirm the diagnosis of heart attack.
Causes of Heartburn
The normal process is that when a person swallows, a band of muscles around the bottom of the esophagus that is lower esophageal sphincter, which relaxes to allow food and liquid to flow down into the stomach after that the muscles again get tightens. If this sphincter weakens and relaxes at the wrong time, then the stomach acid can move back into the esophagus and cause the heartburn.
Symptoms of Heartburn
- A burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating or may occur at night
- Pain that worsen on lying down or bending down
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Chronic cough
- Sore throat
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Regurgitation of the foods and liquids with a taste of acid in the throat
Risk factors of Heartburn
- Citrus products
- Spicy foods
- Large or fatty meals
- Tomato products such as tomato ketchup
- Alcohol, carbonated beverages, coffee or caffeinated beverages
Diagnosis of Heartburn
- Endoscopy: A flexible scope is passed down to the esophagus to examine the esophagus as well as stomach.
- X-rays: After drinking the liquid that coats the stomach lining, then the X-ray are taken.
- PH testing: It helps to maintain the acid of the stomach.
Treatment of Heartburn
Ayurveda is the one of the best alternative treatment. In Ayurveda, various herbs are used for the treatment of the disease. The herbal remedies which are formed by the formulation of the herbs are very effective with no side effect. One can use herbal formulation to cure their disease, but one thing should be clear that no herbal remedy will act in a few days. One should have patience and follow the instructions.
Herbal Remedies for Heartburn (Acid Reflux) by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Acidity Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of heartburn (acid reflux). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Amalaki Rasayan - 1 capsule, twice daily with plain water
- Digestion Support - 1 capsule, twice daily with plain water
- Heartburn Capsules - 1 capsule, twice daily, with plain water
1. Amalaki Rasayan
It is a standardized extract of Amalaki (Emblica officanlis). Amalki rasayan is the one of the richest source of the vitamin c. Vitamin c is called ascorbic acid, it supports digestion. It acts as an anti-oxidant which helps to remove the toxins from the body. It also helps to protect against the harmful chemicals. It helps in keeping the digestive system healthy.
2. Digestion Support
This product consist of Amla (Emblica officanlis), Haritaki (Terminalis chebula), Bhibtaki (Terminalis officanlis), Soufa (Foeniculum vulgar), Dhania ( Coriander sativum), Pippali (Piper nigrum) and Jeera (Cymium cuminum).
All the herbs present in this formulation are very helpful in the proper digestion of the food, hence maintain the natural PH of the stomach. It also helps to balance the all three doshas of the body. It is also very effective in the case of loss of appetite. It removes the excessive kapha form the body which is the main cause of loss of appetite. It helps to maintain the proper metabolism of the body. It provides the strength to the immune system. This herbal preparation helps to balance the three humors of the body. It also has a rejuvenating property.
3. Heartburn capsules
This herbal preparation consists of coral calcium (praval pishti), Agate calcium (Akik Pishti), Ayurvedic calcium compound (Jahar mohra pishti),(kamkdudha ras), Pearl calcium (Mukta pishti) and Tinopsora corifolia extract (Giloy satva).
It is the wonderful herbal remedy for the heartburn which is caused by the Acid reflux or GERD. These herbal capsules help to neutralize the excess of acid within few minutes. It also helps to balance the aggravated pitta in the human body. It provides the cooling effect to the body. It has a rejuvenating power. It provides the strength to the body to fight against the foreign bodies hence these herbal capsules act as an anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic and an excellent blood purifier.
Where to buy Acidity Care Pack?
To buy Acidity Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/acidity-care-pack.html
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- One should maintain the body weight properly
- One should avoid tight fitting clothes
- One should avoid spicy or junk food
- One should avoid lying down after meal
- One should avoid late meals
- One should avoid smoking
- One should do exercise daily, such as walking or riding bicycle.
- One should elevate the head of the bed.
- One can start a day with a cup of water and fresh lemon juice
- One can drink aloe Vera juice daily
- One can take 1 or 2 teaspoons daily of apple cider vinegar
- One can try a tablespoon of baking soda in a half cup of water
Anxiety and stress may worsen the heartburn. If heartburn will get worse than one can try this along with treatment:
- Listening music