Ayurvedic Treatment of Herpes Zostere
About Herpes Zoster
Herpes zoster (Shingles) is infection that results in the formation of painful red skin rashes due to reactivation of Varicella-Zoster Virus from its latent state present in a posterior dorsal root ganglion. Any person who suffered from chickenpox or received chickenpox vaccine in the past may possibly develop shingles.
Even children can get shingles. However, the probability of getting the disease increases with increasing age, generally above 60 years. Symptoms usually begin with pain and followed by rashes in 2 to 3 days by a vesicular eruption that is usually diagnostic.
Causes of Herpes Zoster
Varicella-Zoster Virus (VZV) is causative factor of Herpes Zoster Infection. Anyone infected with chickenpox before may develop shingles and after recovery from chickenpox, the virus remains dormant within dorsal root ganglia of the nerve cells for years. Ultimately, virus may get reactivated and results in second encounter is called herpes zoster or shingles.
Triggering and Risk Factor for reactivation
- External exposure to virus.
- Age factor, older than 50. The risk increases with age.
- Immuno-compromised disease as HIV/AIDS and cancer can increase the risk of shingles.
- Radiation or chemotherapy during cancer can lower your resistance to diseases and may trigger shingles.
- Having medications drug used to prevent rejection of transplanted organs can increase your risk of shingles.
- Emotional stress and trauma.
Ayurveda view for cause of Herpes Zoster
In this disease, the pitta dosha is responsible factor for the eruption of reddish painful boils in the hands, armpit, shoulders, eyes and waist.
The disease eruptions peculiarly occurs in a single line resembling the sacred thread (yagyopaveet) hence it has been named Zoster.
Sign and Symptoms of Herpes Zoster
Symptoms appear on only to limited area on one side:
- Pain, burning, numbness or tingling is usually the first symptoms to appear.
- Sensitivity to touch.
- A red rash follows in 2-3 days after the pain.
- Fluid-filled blisters follow rash which then break open and crust over. It eventually fall off in 2-4 weeks.
Other symptoms also include:
- Fever and chills
- Muscle weakness
- Sensitivity to light
- Joint Pain
- Swollen glands
Area affected on the body are:
- The rash commonly includes a narrow area from the spine around to the front of the abdomen or chest.
- These rashes may involve the face, eyes, mouth and ears. The rashes cause difficulty in moving some of the muscles that causes:
- Hearing loss
- Loss of eye motion
- Taste Problems
- Vision Problem
Complications of Herpes Zoster
- Post-herpetic neuralgia happens when damaged nerve fibers send confused and exaggerated messages of pain from your skin to your brain.
- Vision loss: When shingles appear in or around an eye (ophthalmic shingles) can cause painful eye infections, causing loss of vision.
- Neurological problems. Depending on the nerves affected, shingles might lead to inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), facial paralysis, hearing loss or balance problem.
- Skin infections: If shingles blisters are not controlled it may result in bacterial skin infections.
Measures to prevent others from Herpes Zoster Infection
- Keep the rashes covered.
- Try to make least scratching or contact with the rash.
- Regular hand-washing should be kept as a habit.
- Avoid any contact with pregnant women who never suffered from chickenpox or not even had varicella vaccine.
- Avoid the contact with Premature or low birth weight infants.
Certain Herbs Useful in Herpes Zoster Infection
- Lemon Herb - A cup of herbal tea prepared by adding a few leaves of lemon herb, is found effective in shingles infection.
- Chamomile - It is antiviral herb and chamomile bath can be very beneficial to get relief from the symptoms of shingles infection.
- Mullein - Leaves as well flowers of this herb provide relief from pain caused due to shingle.
Herbal Remedies for Herpes Zoster
According to Ayurveda Herpes zoster is closely related to "Visarpa". It is one of the major skin disease. Mainly pitta dosha aggravates along with involvement of kapha & vata dosha. Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Skin Care Pack for Ayurvedic treatment of Herpes zoster. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Dosage / Usage
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan - 2 tablets twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water after meals.
- Nirgundi Oil - As directed by physician.
- Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar - As directed by physician.
1. Neem Capsules
Standardized extract of Neem (Azadirachta indica) is used to prepare Neem capsules that possess all the medicinal properties of neem. These capsules help to treat any kind of skin ailment like psoriasis, eczema, ringworm and other infectious and non-infectious skin diseases. These capsules are full of medicinal properties just like the herb neem, possesses anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antioxidant and detoxifying properties.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
As the name suggests these herbal capsules help to maintain the health of the skin and help to treat ailments like psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, scabies etc. It helps in maintaining the elasticity, smoothness and firmness of the skin. Strength of hair and nails is also improved by these herbal capsules.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
These herbal tablets help in maintaining the moisturized skin and remove the dead skin cells. Purified sulphur (shuddh gandhak) is used to prepare these herbal tablets. Gandhak rasayan tablets have the property of drawing the moisture from the surrounding atmosphere into the skin, hence preventing dryness. It also helps to treat many skin ailments like acne, leprosy, ringworm, scabies etc.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Rubia cordifolia (Manjistha) is the herb used in standardized form to prepare these herbal capsules. It possesses numerous medicinal properties like they act as a blood purifier, promote early wound healing, treat calcium deficiency, relieve skin ailments, relieve menstrual cramps, detoxify the body, destroy tumors and treat joint pains.
5. Nirgundi Oil
Vitex negundo is the main herb content of this oil that helps in relieving various skin complaints. There are also some other herbs in small proportion in Nirgundi oil to enhance its medicinal quality, like Manjistha, Kalihari and Haridra. It aids in faster wound healing, relieves pain, treats leprosy, inflammation of the skin, lesions on the skin, etc.
6. Tea Tree-Aloe Vera Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
Tea tree oil is the main ingredient of this paraben free bathing soap. Aloe is also present in this herbal soap. Both of the herbs help in maintaining healthy and moisturized skin. It prevents infectious diseases of the skin and also helps to treat them. Regular use of this soap prevents dry skin, moisturizes the skin and clears off the infectious lesions present on the skin.
To buy Skin Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/skin-care-pack.html