Home Remedies for Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is a physiological disorder, where the thyroid gland produces excess amount of thyroid hormone in the body of the individuals in a very short duration of time. Fatigue, irregular sleeping patterns, restlessness, diarrhea, goiter, irregular menstruation, weight loss, itching, vomiting and nausea are the major symptoms of Hyperthyroidism. Graves' disease, unusual secretion of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormones), too much consumption of iodine, non-cancerous growth of nodules and swelling of the thyroid gland are the major causes of Hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a medical condition, which occurs due to the underactivity of the thyroid gland. Thyroid gland is an essential part of the human body, which affects the overall metabolic processes of the individual to a huge extent. The common symptoms of hypothyroidism are fatigue, hoarseness in the voice, muscular cramps, puffy face, sudden gain in weight, dry skin and brittle nails.
This situation of hyperthyroidism can be controlled using some of the effective home remedies.
Useful Home Remedies
There are certain home remedies, which help to treat the problem of hypothyroidism to a huge extent. The home remedies mentioned below are easily available.
This herb is very useful to treat hyperthyroidism. Latin name of this herb is "Bacopa monnieri". It releases depression, anxiety, stress, fatigue and tiredness.
- Take some leaves of Brahmi and wash it thoroughly.
- Consume the fresh leaves of Brahmi on empty stomach daily at morning time to get relief from Hyperthyroidism.
- You can also make a paste using the Brahmi leaves or convert the leaves in the form of powder.
- Consume the paste or the powdered form with a glass of water.
Amla is also known as Indian gooseberry. It provides ameliorating impacts on the thyroid gland of the body. The herb helps in proper secretion of the thyroid hormone. This is highly efficient herb.
- Take 2 tsps. of Amla powder.
- Mix it with 1 tsp of honey to form a thick paste.
- Consume this mixture on a daily basis early morning before having breakfast.
The herb is known as "Withania somnifera". This is yet another important herb, which helps in the treatment of the hyperthyroidism. It has withanolides and helps to maintain the physical strength of the individuals.
- Take the roots and berries of the Ashwagandha herb.
- Extract the gel.
- Mix the gel with water.
- Consume the mixture everyday right in the morning.
- Also, the Ashwagandha capsules are readily available in the local medicine shops. One can go and collect from there.
4. CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES
It is generally suggested to increase the consumption of the cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, turnip, radish, sprouts and many more to get relief from this metabolic disorder.
Include these vegetables in your daily diet. You can take in salad or soup forms of these vegetables effective in hyperthyroidism.
Guggul is an important herb, which has a lot of medicinal and healing characteristics. This herb has anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It also helps in reducing the level of LDL cholesterol to a huge extent. Guggul has a stimulating action on the T4 hormone and converts it to T3 form. The active components, guggulosterones help in the functioning of the thyroid gland to a huge extent.
- Take 25 milligrams of guggul herb.
- Consume it three times on a daily basis.
Latin name of this herb is (Zingiber officinale). Ginger helps to improve the functioning of the thyroid gland effectively. It is highly rich in magnesium, potassium and zinc. The herb has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Cut the ginger into fresh slices.
- Add these fresh slices to a cup of boiling water.
- Steep the solution for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add honey to the solution.
You can also take fresh ginger juice it is also important in hyperthyroidism condition.
The ginger tea is absolutely ready. It is highly efficient in treating the problem of hyperthyroidism.
Ginseng helps in stimulation of the thymus and adrenal glands. These maintain the proper functioning of thyroid gland and helps to remove the various symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
- Take 200 mg of the extract of the ginseng.
- Consume it two times daily.
It is very useful for eliminating the problem of hyperthyroidism.
8. COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil has certain essential fatty acids, which improves the functioning of the thyroid gland. It enhances the body's metabolism and releases energy.
- Take 2 tbsps. of coconut oil.
- Add it to milk.
- Drink the mixture on a daily basis with breakfast early morning every day.
You can also use coconut oil for cooking food.
This is very effective, especially for the ones with hyperthyroidism condition.
Follow these home remedies and lead a healthy life!!
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile