Home Remedies for Psoriasis
Skin diseases are one among most common health problems worldwide which has profound influence on patient's lives and these are associated with considerable trouble. Skin disease like Psoriasis is associated with physical discomfort and impairment of patient's quality of life.
As it runs in families so we can say that somewhere genes are also responsible for this. On the other hand it can also take place when defense mechanism overreacts leads to flaking and inflammation of the skin. As Psoriasis is a long lasting chronic disease but can be managed successfully with effective home remedies.
Signs and Symptoms of the Psoriasis
Psoriasis patches can vary in size and location as well.
- Dry and cracked skin
- Red, inflamed patches on the skin
- Itching and burning sensation of the skin especially when it is under the breasts or buttocks.
- Small areas of bleeding when skin scales are scraped off.
- Swollen and stiff painful joints
- Thick, pitted or discolored ridged nails
- Similar plaques in the same area on both sides of the body like both knees and both elbows.
Effective Home Remedies -
1. Aloe Vera
Gel from the aloe plant (which is related to the cactus) can be applied to the skin up to three times a day. Some research shows it can help reduce redness and scaling associated with psoriasis.
Turmeric or what we call haldi in hindi is being frequently studied for its powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric also has the ability to alter gene expression. You can apply a layer of paste prepared with haldi and water.
Neem is known for its antibacterial properties along with many health benefits. Leaves of neem can be squeezed to make juice for application.
Application of oats paste can also alleviate dryness and redness of the skin.
5. Salted Water
Water when mixed with sea salt can be used for bath as it cleans the pors and detoxifies the body. Care has to be taken if open wounds or injuries are there as salt can causes burning sensation.
- Take bath daily but take care that frequent bathing can increase the dryness of skin. Use lukewarm water instead of hot water and just pat the skin to make it dry rather than using towels.
- Avoid much exposure under sunlight because sunburns can worsen the symptoms.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Stick to fruit juices and balanced diet only.
- Avoid very spicy, hot and sour food items.