Urticaria is a skin disorder in which there is formation and development of red itchy rashes and small bumps on the skin. This may be due to some food or medicine allergy. In Ayurveda, this condition is known as Sheetapitta. It is of two types that is acute (lasting less than 6 weeks) and chronic (lasting more than 6 weeks). There are many ways to treat, soothe and get rid of Urticaria. Natural home remedies are the best solution for this skin disorders.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been used for many home remedies from many years due to its great health benefits. In the case of Urticaria, skin tissues release the histamine a harmful chemical into the bloodstream which further causes some allergic reaction in your skin. Apple cider vinegar helps us to prevent such allergic reaction on our skin by its antihistamine property. Due to its acetic nature, apple cider vinegar has many potent biological effects on our body and also helps to kill the harmful bacteria and viruses which further worsens the skin problem.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of lukewarm water. Add a few drops of honey to it and drink it every morning with an empty stomach.
- You can also soak your body in water and APC solution. For this add one to two cup of apple cider vinegar in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak your body for 20-25 minutes once in a day.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a very powerful herb which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal properties which is helpful in the treatment of Urticaria. It keeps your skin smooth, soft and gives a cooling effect to your skin. According to the Ayurvedic point of view, aloe vera is bitter in taste, cold in potency, oily, sticky and slimy in qualities. This herb balances all the three doshas (kapha, pitta, and vata). The herb contains two hormones auxin and gibberellins which protect our skin from swelling due to its anti-inflammatory properties. The leaves of aloe vera contain phytochemicals such as acetylated mannans, anthraquinones, hormones, amino acid, carbohydrates, fatty acids, and enzymes, which are helpful to eradicate swollen, pale-red bumps from the skin.
- Apply the fresh aloe vera gel on your affected areas, leave it for 10-15 minutes and after that rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy for 4-5 times in a day.
- Also mix the aloe vera gel with coconut oil, with the help of cotton pad apply it gently on your skin.
Basil also contains natural antihistamine properties, which are very effective for Urticaria. This herb is a very good source of ursolic acid, eugenol, linalol, rosmarinic acid, etc. The Ursolic acid present in Basil helps to increase the collagen and ceramides, both of which play a vital role in skin rejuvenation and remove skin redness and itchiness. It has very good antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-stress properties. According to the medicinal point of view this herb is Pungent, bitter in taste, dryness in qualities, and hot in potency. It undergoes pungent taste after digestion.
- Add some dried leaves of holy basil in a hot jar of water. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Then with the help of cotton cloth or balls apply this mixture on the affected area of your skin.
- You can also apply the thick paste of basil fresh basil leaves on your skin, allow it to dry and after that rinse it with cool water.
In addition to great benefits for the digestive system, this amazing warming spice also shows effective results for Urticaria due to its anti-inflammatory and antihistamine property. Ginger helps to provide relief from several problems such as gas, bloating, cramps, and diarrhea. In Ayurveda, ginger has great benefits due to its medicinal properties such as pungent in taste, heavy, strong and dryness in qualities, hot in potency and balances the kapha dosha.
- Take some chopped ginger slice, ¼ cup of brown sugar, few drops of apple cider vinegar. Boil all of them with one cup of water. Strain, and dab this solution on the affected area of your skin with the help of cotton balls.
- Alternatively, you can also drink the ginger tea by adding a few drops of honey to it. This will also help to heal your skin.
Turmeric has been used for many years in Ayurveda due to its great Ayurvedic properties. There are numbers of active substances present in Turmeric, out of which curcumin is the most important curcuminoids in turmeric which helps to overcome the symptom of Urticaria. Medicinal properties of turmeric are bitter, pungent in taste, dryness, and lightness in qualities after digestion undergoes pungent taste and it is hot in potency. Turmeric balances all the three doshas of our body. It has anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, antioxidant properties which cure various skin alignments including hives and Urticaria.
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder in one cup of lukewarm water, mix and drink it two times a day.
- You should add turmeric in your daily food.
Due to its great soothing and cooling properties this herb is also useful for the treatment of Urticaria. Along with these properties, this herb also contains analgesic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agents. It reduces symptoms of Urticaria such as redness, swelling, itchiness and skin infections. The main bioactive compounds of mint are menthol, limonene, and menthone. According to ayurvedic view mint (Pudina) is pungent in taste, strong, dry and light in qualities, hot in potency and balances the vitiated kapha and vata dosha.
- Boil the one tablespoon of mint leaves powder in one cup of water for 5 minutes. Strain and cool it for some time in the refrigerator. Wash your inflammation and irritated skin with this solution 3-4 times a day.
Nettle is an excellent nourishing and rejuvenating herb which provides great relieves from the Urticaria or hives. This herb is rich in a bioactive compound such as phenols, vitamins A, C, D, K and minerals such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and sulfur. Its anti-inflammatory and astringent property provide relives from swelling, inflammation, and itching.
- Add one tablespoon of dried nettle leaf to a cup of hot water, leave it for 5-10 minutes, strain, add few drops of honey and drink this tea 2-3 times a day.
All the home remedies which are mentioned above are most effective for Urticaria disorder. Along with these, you can also try baking soda, colloidal oatmeal, and cold compress home remedy. These home remedies will help you to reduce the intensity of Urticaria.Share with your friends: