Hridya Virechana Lehyam
Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Kalapsiddhi 2/ 9
In Ayurveda varieties of formulations are mentioned based on its absorption techniques such as oil, ghrita, tablets, lehyam, etc. So the lehyam is a semi solid preparation infused with many herbal medicines. This medicine is beneficial for various types of abdominal disorders. In this article we will discuss Hridya Virechana Lehyam, composition, method of preparation, properties, indications and dosage.
Hridya virechana lehyam is a poly herbal preparation from our classical texts. As the name suggests it is used in purgative procedures like virechana, to remove ama and toxins from the body. The main ingredient of this formulation is Trivrut (Operculina turpethum) which has a very strong laxative property. This preparation is primarily used for managing digestive disorders. Its constituents include aromatic drugs like Cardamom, Cinnamomum, honey, etc. The dosage of this leham formulation depends on the patient's age, gender and medical history.
According to classics, Hridya virechana is also known as Trivrut lehyam explained by Acharya Vagbhata in the virechana chapter. Among all three dosha (vata, pitta and kapha) it acts on aggravated pitta dosha. The main indication of this formulation is-
- Virechana (for purgation)
- Hridya roga (heart disorders)
The list of ingredients are given as following-
- Trivrut (Operculina turpethum)
- Trivrut (Operculina turpethum)
- Sita (sugar)
- Madhu (honey)
- Twaka (Cinnamomum zeylanica)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Trivrut (Operculina turpethum)- Trivrut helps in balancing vitiates of pitta and kapha dosha. It has purgative properties so helpful in abdominal distension, cramps, discomfort, constipation and flatulence like conditions. It is also beneficial in piles, itching, rashes and soreness. It reduces itching, inflammation, swelling and burning sensation in different body parts.
- Sita (sugar)- Sugar improves bowel functioning, bloating, abdominal pain, flatulence like digestive issues. It provides energy to the body as it is a rich source of glucose, carbohydrates. It is also beneficial for cardiovascular disorders and helps in blood circulation. Sugar helps in maintaining gut health and releases intestinal hormones.
- Madhu (honey)- It is a rich source of vitamins, nutrients and oxidants. It prevents bacterial, viral infections and manages digestive disorders. It soothes sore throat, cold, and cough-like symptoms. It has a calming effect on the central nervous system, so it is relieved from stress, anxiety, depression, etc. It has a great effect on skin conditions like burns, allergies, hydrates skin and provides nourishment.
- Twaka (Cinnamomum zeylanica) - Cinnamomum is useful in respiratory, digestive and gynaecological disorders. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti microbial effects. It reduces spasms, abdominal cramps, and acts as an appetiser in loss of appetite. It helps in lowering cholesterol levels and maintains blood sugar levels.
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) - Ela is very beneficial in digestive and respiratory dysfunctioning. It reduces swelling, inflammation and removes toxins from the body as it has antioxidant properties. It is helpful in weight loss, bad breath and preventing microorganisms. It has a cold potency so it is helpful in burning micturation.
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) - It treats bad odour from mouth, faces or any dental caries. It acts as a stimulant for digestion and increases urine output. It boosts the immune system and protects from gastrointestinal tract. It is refreshing, aromatic and carminative in nature.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Hridya virechana lehyam are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare the decoction (kwatha) from trivrut (Operculina turpethum) and kalka (paste) of trivruit.
- Mix kalka and the decoction prepared in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Then add mishri/ sugar to the mixture and cook it in a mild heat till it becomes semi solid (avaleha) like consistency.
- Then take it away from heat and let it remain for cooling, after that add honey to the cold mixture.
- Stir the solution properly and mix it well.
- At last all the prakshep dravya (powdered drugs) are added to the mixture and mixed properly.
- Then the obtained mixture is Hridya Virechana Lehyam prepared, stored in an airtight glass container, to keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Hridya Virechana are given as below-
- It acts as a strong purgative due to laxative properties.
- It provides strength to cardiac muscles.
- It has antibacterial and antimicrobial activities.
- It has a cold potency (nature).
- It has dosha pacifying properties.
The indications of Hridya Virechana lehyam are given as following-
- Chronic constipation
- Pelvic congestion
- Skin allergies
- Burning sensation
- Burning Micturition
- Irritable gut
- Heart disorders
The conditions when this formulation is not given are as follows-
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Avoided in childrens and pregnant females
Dosage / Usage
½ to 1 tablespoon once or twice daily after meals.
With lukewarm water or milk.
Madhura, Tikhta (Sweet and Bitter)
Like powdered drugs.
Above mentioned formulation is described in classics for purgation therapy. It is very useful in chronic constipation and various abdominal disorders.It is a poly herbal preparation and found in the semi solid consistency like jam. It can be used by persons having abdominal discomfort and if any severity is related to the condition you must consult the physician.