Reference - Ashtanga hridayam kushth chikitsa 19/ 77
Jeevanthyadi Yamakam is a classical herbal formulation used for different skin related issues such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis and different types of allergic reactions. In this preparation herbs are induced in the medium of ghee and sesame oil along with herbal water decoction. It is used externally over affected areas. In this article we will discuss Jeevanthyadi yamakam composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Jeevanthyadi yamakam is medicated oil preparation for dermatological conditions. This ghee contains water soluble and oil soluble phyto active chemicals of medicinal herbs. As the name suggests ‘yamaka’ it means combination of two constituent’s i.e. sesame oil and cow’s ghee. It is used to manage scabies, rashes and short eye sightedness.
According to classics, Jeevanthyadi yamakam is described by Acharya Vagbhata in skin diseases and mainly it works on balancing pitta dosha. It is indicated in various skin disorders according to classics-
- Charamdal (cracking)
- Kustha (leprosy)
- Kitibha kushta (type of leprosy)
- Alaska (chilblains)
- Jeevanti (Leptadenia reticulata)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Kampilak (Mallotous philippians)
- Tutha (Colchichium luteum)
- Sarajrasa (Vateria indica)
- Madhuchist (Bee wax)
- Cow’s milk
- Cow’s ghee
- Til tail (Sesame oil)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Jeevanti- It increases the body's strength and helps to fight against diseases. It maintains flow of urine, reduces burning and difficulty in micturition. It helps in killing microbes and bacteria.
- Manjistha- It plays a very important role in purifying blood (Rakta shodhak) and improves digestive fire. It mainly helps in pacification of pitta dosha among tridosha.
- Daruharidra- It has a very great healing property as it manages cuts, wounds and ulcers. It helps in killing viruses, fungi and enhances skin texture and quality.
- Kampillaka- It helps to treat various types of skin diseases and kills worms present in the intestine. It reduces cough, itching and fever-like symptoms. It is used to treat kapha related disorders.
- Tutha- It helps in healing wounds and managing gout, sciatica and arthritis pain. It helps to relieve constipation and improves appetite. It helps with retention of urine.
- Sarajrasa- It is used for managing leprosy, skin eruptions and crack infections. It helps in fumigation and manages diabetic wounds, ulcers, boils and bleeding issues.
- Madhuchist- It is protective in nature so prevents bacteria, virus like organisms. It helps in hydrating, soothing and calming skin. It has anti-allergic and anti-oxidant properties.
- Cow’s milk- It helps in boosting immunity and corrects full body metabolism. It is a rich source of nutrients, calcium and phosphorus. It has beneficial antioxidants like vit.E and omega 3 fatty acid.
- Cow’s ghee- It is a rich source of nutrients and vitamins which increase body strength and intelligence power. It prevents malnutrition and has a strong moisturizing property.
- Til tail- It is a rich source of copper, magnesium, iron and calcium. It helps in managing ache and exfoliation of skin. It delays premature aging and hydrates skin.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Jeevanthyadi yamakam are given as following-
- Firstly, take all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Take all the drugs and fry them in cow ghee and sesame oil on a mild flame.
- Then add herbal water decoction to the drugs fries and reduce till it remains one fourth in quantity.
- Then filter the yamaka obtained properly.
- At last add beeswax to the solution of yamaka and mix it properly.
- Then store the solution in a clean airtight glass container and keep it away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Jeevanthyadi yamakam are given as following-
- It has antioxidant and anti-allergic properties.
- Act as anti-inflammatory in skin conditions.
- Have anti-aging properties.
- It has moisturizing and hydrating qualities.
The various indications of Jeevanthyadi Yamakam are given as following-
- Cracks in foot, palms, lips
- Skin diseases
- Contact dermatitis
As it is applied externally no such contraindications and side effects are there but used under physician guidance. Keep away from the reach of children.
Dosage / Usage
Applied externally or locally according to affected areas and if used for nasya 1-2 drops in each nostril.
Madhura rasa (Sweet)
Above mentioned, Jeevanthyadi yamakam is herbal preparation described in classical texts. It has hydrating and anti-microbial activities so helps in moistening, kills all worm infestations. So this formulation can be applied over dry skin, cracks, rashes and allergic reactions.