Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Uttarsthan 11/ 9
Ayurveda is a vast and ancient form of medicine which has given different formulations such as tablets, powders, asava, aristha, lehyam, varti, lepa, etc. So, Jati mukuadi varti is a formulation in the form of wick shape which has elongated ends. It is used as an external application in affected eyes. This varti preparation is used to manage ophthalmic disorders like redness, itching, etc. In this article we will discuss Jati mukuladi varti ingredients, method of preparation, indications and dosage.
Jatimukuladi varti is a polyherbal medicine which is described in our classics for various types of eye related disorders. As the name suggests, it contains jati/ jasmine flower buds as its primary ingredients, and it has a very strong cooling effect. So Jatimukuadi varti helps in reducing burning sensation, itching, pain, wounds, ulcers like conditions. These days to increase its accessibility, drops form are also available which heals all eye congestion, wounds.
Classical Indication Of Jatimukuladi Varti
According to classics, this jatimukuladi varti is described by Acharya Vagbhata for local application in any allergic conditions related to eyes. Among all doshas it helps in pacifying aggravated pitta and kapha dosha. The classical indications are described below-
- Shoot (swelling)
- Kandu (itching)
Ingredients Of Jatimukuladi Varti
The list of ingredients used for preparation of Jatimukuladi varti are-
- Jati (Jasminum grandiflorum) - 1part
- Saindhava (Rock salt) - 1part
- Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) - 1part
- Maha aushadhi / sunth (Zingiber officinalis) - 1part
- Prasana (fermented preparation) - quantity sufficient
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Jati (Jasminum grandiflorum) - Jasmine flower buds are used which have great soothing and cooling effects. It helps in reducing pain, swelling, inflammation in the eyes.
- Saindhava (Rock salt) - Rock salt has anti bacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties so it prevents eyes from any type of infections. It helps in healing wounds, congestion.
- Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) - Devdaru has healing properties so it is used in anjana these days. It reduces watery, itching of eyes as it mainly acts on aggravated kapha dosha.
- Maha aushadhi / sunth (Zingiber officinalis) - Dry ginger helps in reducing redness, puffiness and itching in the eyes. It improves blood circulation to the eyes and remains moistened.
- Prasana (fermented preparation) - It is alcoholic formulated prepared by fermentation so it acts as antiseptic, disinfectant to the eyes or allergic conditions.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Jatimukuladi varti are as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then keep the drugs for drying in the shade.
- Prepare fine powder of all the drugs separately.
- Mix all the powders of the drugs and triturate them in a clean vessel.
- Then add prasanna to the powderded solution and mix it properly.
- Keep stirring the solution obtained until it becomes a semi solid mixture.
- At last vartis/ wick shapes are rolled from a semisolid mixture and dried in shade.
- Now the vartis/ wick shapes are stored in an airtight glass container away from direct sunlight.
Properties Of Jatimukuladi Varti
The properties of Jatimukuladi varti are given as following-
- It has antihistamine properties.
- Act as antiseptic.
- Helps in blood purification.
- Has anti allergic effects.
- Helps in detoxification.
- Act as local analgesic and sedative.
Indications Of Jatimukuladi Varti
The indications of Jatimukuladi varti are described in eye related issues such as given below-
No such contraindications are mentioned.
Dosage / Usage Of Jatimukuladi Varti
Used as anjana (external application) in eyes, rubbed with breast milk or honey.
Above mentioned formulation is described in classics for the issues related to the eyes. Due to the cooling effects of jasmine flower buds it reduces burning, itching and redness like conditions. So for any eye related issues you can administer it and if any severity you may concern the physician.