Kantkari / Wild EggPlant / Solanum Xanthocarpum - Classification, Ayurvedic Properties and Dosage
Kantkari is one of the Ayurvedic herbs that is useful mainly in throat problems. This herb is commonly known as Yellow-Berried nightshade or Indian Nightshade. Other than throat problems it is very effective in various other problems due to various properties such as anti-inflammatory, antitussive, anti-asthmatic, hypoglycemic, antipyretic, antihistamine, antispasmodic, etc. Let's further discuss this miraculous herb in the following article.
- Botanical Name - Solanum Xanthocarpum
- Family - Solanaceae
- Genus - Solanum
- Species - S.Virginianum
Other Vernacular Names
- In Hindi - Rengni
- In Gujarati - Bhonyarengni
- In Bengali - Kantikari
- In Tamil - Kandankantiri
- In Kannada - Nella Gullu
- In Telgu - Challan mulaga
- In English - Wild Eggplant
This Species is found mainly in India, Assam, Bengal and in waste lands or over roadsides.
It is a perennial thorny shrub which is approximately 0.75-1.25 meters in height. It is of glossy green color, and its leaves are 10-13 cm in length and 5-7 cm in width. Thorns are present on the dorsal aspect of leaves and its flowers are blue in colour. The fruits of Kantakari are round in shape, small and spiky. Fruits are of green colour with streaks of white colour when raw and these streaks turn yellow after ripening. The flowering season of Kantkari is summer.
- Bhavprakash Nighantu: Guduchyadi Varga
- Raj Nighantu: Laghu Panchmool, Panchgana.
- Charak Samhita: Kasahara, Hikkanigrahana, Kanthya, Shothhara, Angmardaprashaman, Sheetpittaprashaman.
- Sushruta Samhita: Varunadi, Brihatyadi, Laghu Panchmool.
Shloka - 1
कण्टकारी सरा तिक्ता कटुका दीपनी लघुः।
रुक्षोष्णा पाचनी कासश्वासज्वरकफानिलान्।।
निहन्ति पीनसं पार्श्वपीडाकृमिहृदामयान्।
Reference:- भा.प्र — गुडुच्यादी वर्ग ४०-४१
Interpretation of Shloka - Interpretation of Shloka: Kantkari consists of Tikta (Bitter) and Katu (Pungent) Rasa (Taste). It is Agni Deepaka (Promotes digestive fire) and has light and dry properties with hot potency and Pachaka (Digestive) properties. It helps in managing various conditions such as cough, asthma, fever, Kaphaj disorders, Vataj disorders, Rhinitis, pain in flanks, worm infestation and Heart conditions.
Shloka - 2
तस्याः फलं कटु रसे पाके च कटुकं भवेत।।
शुक्रस्य रेचनं भेदि तिक्तं पित्तग्निकुल्लघु।
हन्यात् कफ मारूत्कण्डु कासमेदः कृमिज्वरान।।
Reference:- Dhanwantri Nighantu
Interpretation of Shloka - It is bitter in taste and promotes ejaculation of sperms, helps in breaking the waste, consists of bitter and pungent taste. It increases pitta dosha as well as induces digestive fire and light to digest. It is helpful in managing Kaphaj disorders, Vataj disorders, itching, cough, obesity, worm infestation and fever.
Shloka - 3
तद्वित प्रोक्ता सिता क्षुद्रा विशेषाद् गर्भकारिणी।।
Reference:- भा.प्र — गुडुच्यादी वर्ग ४२
Interpretation of Shloka - Its flowers are called the best in all the flowers. Their potency is hot, fragrant, bitter and good for the eyes.
Shloka - 4
कण्टकारीरसे सिद्धो मुद्गयूषः सुसंस्कृतः|
सगौरामलकः साम्लः सर्वकासभिषग्जितम् ||
Reference:- च.चि १८/१८४
Interpretation of Shloka - Add soup of green lentil in decoction of Kantkari and temper it with ghee and cumin. Then add paste of white mustard seeds and Indian gooseberry along with juice of sour pomegranate. This remedy is beneficial for every kind of cough problem.
Shloka - 5
सम्यग्विपक्वं द्विगुणेन सर्पिर्निदिग्धिकायाः स्वरसेन चैतत्।
श्वासाग्निसादस्वरभेदभिन्नान्निहन्त्यु दीर्णानपि पञ्च कासान्।
Reference:- सु.उ ५२/३०-३१
Interpretation of Shloka - Make paste of the following ingredients by taking them in equal quantity:
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Vid Lavana (Ammonium Chloride)
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pipali (Piper longum)
- Vidang (Embelia ribes)
- Saindhav Lavana (Rock Salt)
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Bala (Sida Cordifolia)
- Karkatshringi (Pistacia integerrima)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus)
- Devdaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Duralabha (Fagonia cretica)
- Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Harad (Terminalia chebula)
- Kachur (Curcuma zedoaria)
Now add Decoction of Kantkari (Solanum xanthocarpum) 2 times the paste and process it with ghee. This remedy is helpful in various conditions such as Shwaas (Asthma), Agnimandya (Slow digestive fire), Swarbheda (Hoarseness of voice), and 5 types of kaas (Cough).
- Rasa (Taste) - Tikta (Bitter) and Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Quality) - Laghu (light) and Ruksha (Dry)
- Veerya (Potency) - Ushna (hot)
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect) - Katu (Pungent)
- Karma (Action) - Kapha Vata Hara (Reduces Kapha and Vata Dosha), Vedna Sthapana (Reduces pain), Deepana (Induce digestive fire), Pachana (Stimulate Digestion), Rechana (Induce Purgation), Krimighana (Useful in Worm Infestation), Raktashodhak (Purifies blood), Shothahara (Reduces Swelling), Mutral (Diuretic), Sweda janan (Induces Sweating), Kushtha hara (Deals with skin problems), Jwara Ghana (Reduces temperature), Shwasajit (Manage Asthma and other respiratory conditions), Amadoshahara (Eliminates endotoxins from the body), Aruchihara (Improves appetite), Kanduhara (Reduces itching), Balapaushtik (Provides nourishment and improves strength).
Following are various practical uses or benefits of Kantkari:
- Mainly this herb is beneficial in all kinds of respiratory issues other than that the following benefits of this herb comes into play.
- If we put Kantkari juice in the nose, it aids in stimulating the nerves thus really beneficial in conditions such as convulsions, epilepsy, etc.
- Its powder is beneficial in improving the appetite and enhancing the digestive fire.
- The laxative properties of this herb is really beneficial in inducing purgation thus helpful in the detoxification and deworming process.
- This herb assists in purifying blood and serves with anti-inflammatory effect thus helps in promoting heart health and managing various skin conditions and inflammatory conditions.
- Mixture of swaras (Juice) of kantkari and honey possess diuretic properties thus helps in managing dysuria.
- This herb is also beneficial in the case of hair dandruff and promotes hair health too, for this take 30-50 ml juice of this herb and apply over the scalp for 1 hour and then wash it with herbal shampoo.
Root, Fruit, Whole Plant
This herb includes chemical constituents such as B - Carotene, Carpesterol, Diosgenin, Solasodine, B - Solamargine, Solamargine, Solasodine - L - Rhamnosy - B - D - Glucoside, Solano Carpine, Solanine, tomatidine.
- Swaras/Juice: 10-20 ml
- Churna/Powder: 3-6 gm
- Kwath/Decoction: 20-30 ml
Its juice or paste can be used for local application.