Reference – Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Agnimandya Rogadhikar
Karpurasava is an Ayurvedic medicine having combination of various herbs. Asava are Ayurvedic medicines that are formed because of self-generated alcohols. Asava are prepared from cold infusions or juice of medicinal herbs without using heat. It is effective in disorder which are result of vitiation of Kapha dosha. It is also known by other name Karpurasavam.
Karpurasava is an Ayurvedic remedy for digestion. Its main ingredient is camphor.
This Ayurvedic medicine is treating vomiting, diarrhea, gastro-enteritis with piercing pain, cholera and digestive diseases.
|S. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Prasanna (a type of wine- which is prepared by using shastik Rice, Jaggery, Harad and Barley)||Papaver somniferum||4.8 litres|
|2.||Karpoora (Camphor)||Cinnamomum camphora||384 gm|
|3.||Ela (Cardamom)||Elettaria cardamomum||Seed||48 gm|
|4.||Musta||Cyperus rotundus||48 gm|
|5.||Sonth||Zingiber officinale||48 gm|
|6.||Ajwain||Trachyspermum ammi||48 gm|
|7.||Maricha||Piper nigrum||48 gm|
Method of Formation
Karpurasava is a formed by the addition of prasanna (distilled alcohol from fermented solution) to pulverized blend of medicinal herbs, kept for some time in air-tight fitted container and then filtered.
The fermentation is done with the burying of sealed pots in the ground or husk for a period of one month then followed by filtration. This self-generated alcohol during fermentation process extracts the energetic constituents from the ingredients and as well as acts as preservative.
After one month, the contents are filtered and preserved in air tight containers.
- It is a Ayurvedic Medicine which can manage disorders occurring due to vitiation of Kapha dosha (Kapha-vikara)
- It is good to use in Diarrhoea (Atisara).
- It can provide relief in case of Gastro-enteritis with piercing pain (Visuchika).
- It can be a useful remedy for a condition Ascites (Udararoga).
- It is also beneficial in cholera and indigestion.
- Consume - 5 -10 drops two times a day after meal with equal or more water or as directed by the Physician.
- Take it after an interval of every 2 hours mixed with 4 times boiled and cooled water.
- Safe to use this medicine in lower dose in children above 5 years of age.
- Its over-dose may results in gastritis and other complaints related to it.
- It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.
- It is best to avoid this medicine during pregnancy or take this only under medical supervision.
- In case of lactation period, it can be taken in lower doses, based on doctor's advice only.