What is Kaunch Beej?
Kaunch beej is seed of Kapikacchu herb. The Latin name of this herb is Mucuna pruriens. This herb is mainly found in India, Australia, Southern Africa, and America. Kaunch beej seeds are small pods measuring 10 cm in length.
Kaunch beej herb is used in Ayurveda for various medicinal purposes. In Ancient time it is used for ailments like impotency, sexual debility, infertility, aphrodisiac activities, and neurological disorders etc.
Classification of Kaunch Beej
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Fabales
- Latin name: Mucuna pruriens
- Family: Fabaceae
- Subfamily: Faboideae
- Tribe: Phaseoleae
- Genus: Mucuna
- Species: M. pruriens
What are the other names of Kaunch beej?
The other name of Kaunch beej are mentioned below:
- Botanical name: Mucuna pruriens
- English name: Cow itch, Velvet beans, Cow-hage
- Hindi name: Kevanch, Kaunch
- Tamil name: Poonaikali vidai, Poonai kaali vithu, poonaikali vithu
- Malayalam name: Naikorana
- Kannada: Nausukunni
What are the Medicinal Properties of Kaunch beej?
The medicinal properties of Kaunch beej are mentioned below:
- Rasa (Taste): Sweet (madhura), Bitter (tikta)
- Guna (Qualities): Heavy to digest (Guru), Unctuous (Snigdha)
- Veerya (Potency): Hot potency (Ushna)
- Vipaka (Taste conversion after digestion): Sweet (Madhura)
- Prabhava (Special effect): Aphrodisiac (Vrushya)
- Effect on Tridosha: Balances all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha)
According to Ayurveda medicinal properties of Kaunch beej:
Various medicinal properties of Kaunch beej are:
- Vatahara: Useful in all types of neurological disorders.
- Balya: It helps to increase immunity and strength of an individual.
- Bahumala: It increases the production of faeces.
- Vrushya: The herb shows aphrodisiac nature.
- Bruhmani: It provides proper nourishment to the body.
Healing Properties of Kaunch beej:
- Nervine tonic
- Anti-Parkinson’s disease
What are the Health Benefits of Kaunch beej?
There are numerous health benefits of Kaunch beej seeds:
- These seeds are a natural source of levodopa.
- It supports the overall nervous system.
- These seeds maintain posture and physical balance.
- The seeds have the ability to reduce stress and anxiety.
- It helps to improve immunity, improves energy levels and endurance.
- These seeds support the intellect.
- It helps to maintain libido.
- The seeds revitalize overall male and female reproductive system.
What are the Indications of Kaunch beej?
The indications of Kaunch beej are:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Facial paralysis
- Low testosterone levels
- General weakness
- Erectile dysfunction’
How Kaunch beej is used for Parkinson's disease?
Kaunch beej powder contains various compounds like harmin alkaloids, nicotine, lecithin, unsaturated acids, gallic acid, bufotenin, and genistein etc. These compounds possess neuroprotective activities that give good results in Parkinson's disease.
Is Kaunch beej beneficial for your digestive system?
Yes, Kaunch beej seeds are beneficial in all types of digestive disorders due to its nutritive qualities.
How Kaunch beej are used for the nervous system?
These seeds contain levodopa that is a precursor of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine plays important role in cognition, sleep disorders, involuntary movement, mood, learning, and working memory. Due to which it is good for the central nervous system.
In which way Kaunch beej is beneficial for reproductive health?
These seeds act as a tonic. It supports the Skhura dhatu (the reproductive tissue) as per Ayurveda. These seed are an aphrodisiac, maintain sexual energy and libido. Kaunch seeds also maintain normal fertility, causes proper functioning of a reproductive organ, maintain the health of ova and sperm.
How Kaunch beej is good for body builder?
The presence of amino acid L-Dopa increases the production of Human growth hormone that strengthens the body and increase muscle mass.
What is the dosage of Kaunch beej powder?
The dosage of this powder is taken 2 to 3 grams of this powder once or twice daily.
What are the side effects of Kaunch beej?
There are many side effects of these seeds mentioned below:
Avoid consumption of these seeds during pregnancy. It sometimes lowers down sugar level so always take Kaunch beej powder in the supervision of a medical practitioner.
Persons having excessive androgen syndrome should avoid use of these seeds. In Parkinson's disease always take Kaunch beej powder under the supervision of a doctor.Share with your friends: