LOHASAVAM - INGREDIENTS, INDICATIONS, USES AND BENEFITS
INTRODUCTIONLohasavam is an Ayurvedic liquid formulation which is used to treat anaemia, general debility, digestive disorders, piles and fissures.
- Loha bhasma (Purified Iron) – 200 gm
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale) - 200 gm
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) - 200 gm
- Pippali (Piper longum) - 200 gm
- Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula) - 200 gm
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia belerica) - 200 gm
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) - 200 gm
- Yavani (Trachyspermum ammi) – 200 gm
- Vayvidanga (Embelia ribes) – 200 gm
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus) – 200 gm
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica) – 200 gm
- Dhataki Kusuma (Woodfordia fruticosa) – 1000 gm
- Water – 26 litres
- Honey - 3 kg
- Jaggery (Guda) – 5 kg
REFERENCE – BHAISHJYA RATNAVALI / PANDU ROGAADHIKAR (12 – 125 TO 129)
BENEFITS OF INGREDIENTS
- LOH BHASAM (Purified Iron) – Loh bhasam is an Ayurvedic product which is rich in minerals. It is prepared through the calcinations process after proper purification and it is used in the treatment of anaemia, general debility, liver and spleen enlargement.
- TRIKATU - Trikatu is a classical Ayurvedic herbal blend which consists of three herbs, it is effective to improve digestion thus, treats indigestion.
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale) - This herb is best for digestion and is a good appetizer. It improves taste and relieves anorexia. It is very effective in treating diseases associated with respiratory system.
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) - Maricha has agni vardhak properties which help to maintain a good digestion power, hence relieves flatulence and bloating. This herb is advised in intermittent fevers, gonorrhoea and haemorrhoids.
- Pippali (Piper longum) - Pippali also consists of anti bacterial properties due to which it helps in treatment of respiratory infections.
- HARITAKI (Terminalia chebula) – Haritaki is a miraculous herb which is loaded with multiple health benefits. This herb is very useful in gastro intestinal disorders and highly beneficial in spleen enlargement.
- VIBHATIKI (Terminalia bellrica) - Vibhitaki is an ingredient of triphala. It is antibacterial in nature. It helps to treat asthma, cold and cough.
- AMALAKI (Emblica officinalis) - Amla is a richest source of vitamin c thus, it helps to boost immunity. Amla effectively tackles the problems of the digestive system.
- YAVANI (Trachyspermum ammi) – This herb contains antispasmodic property which is helpful in relieving colic. Seeds of this herb are consumed with rock salt to relieve dyspepsia and flatulence.
- VIDANGA (Embelia ribes) – Vidanga acts as a blood purifier and also it is used in treating intestinal worm infestations. This herb is used in digestive problems as it relieves flatulence and abdominal pain.
- MUSTA (Cyperus rotundus) – Musta pacify pitta dosha hence useful in treating burning sensation and fever. It is also recommended in digestive problems.
- CHITRAKA (Plumbago zeylanica) – The roots of Chitrak is used for the treatment of various diseases related to digestive system like impaired or weak digestion, abdominal pain, skin diseases, etc. The herb also has anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic and antimicrobial properties.
- DHATAKI KUSUMA (Woodfordia fruticosa) – This herb has anti diarrhoeal properties hence useful in diarrhoea.
METHOD OF PREPARATION
All ingredients are taken in powder form and mixed with honey, jaggery and water. These ingredients are transferred into earthen vessel which is sealed properly. The vessel is then kept in a room for one month. After one month this vessel is opened and liquid is filtered and it is ready to use.
INDICATIONSThis herbal formulation is used in digestive problems, anaemia and piles.
USES AND BENEFITS OF LOHASAVAM
- This herbal formulation is haematogenic in nature, helps in the formation of red blood cells.
- It acts as detoxifier that removes toxins from the blood.
- This herbal remedy is also effective in piles, skin disorders, obesity, debility and cardio vascular problems.
- Peptic ulcers
- Inflammatory diseases
- Mouth ulcers.