Reference - Sahasrayogam Rasayanam Praksranam 14/ 11
According to Ayurveda there are a variety of formulations such as ghee, oil, tablets, asava, aristha and rasayana/ lehyam. Rasayana basically means having rejuvenating properties, as this madhusnuhi rasayanam is also effective in various conditions. This preparation is semi solid or jam-like in consistency because it contains jaggery or honey as its base product. In this article we will discuss Madhusnuhi rasayana’s ingredients, method of preparation, properties, indications and dosage.
Madhushunhi Rasayanam is a poly herbal formulation described in ancient texts for numerous disorders including dermatological conditions, diabetes, piles and fistula. As the name suggests, it contains madhusnuhi (Smilax china) as its main ingredient which helps in managing chronic skin diseases and non healing ulcers. It has neuro immuno endocrino properties so it nourishes the mind and body. Due to its rejuvenating property it corrects overall metabolism of the body.
According to classical texts, Madhusnuhi rasayanam is mentioned in classical texts of Sahasrayogam which is effective against all skin diseases. The various indications of Madhusnuhi rasayanam are given as below-
- Kustha (leprosy)
- Kilasa (eczema)
- Pidika (boils)
- Prameha (diabetes)
- Bhagandra (fistula)
- Arsha (haemorrhoids)
- Arbudha (tumoros)
- Gandmala (goitre)
- Kandu (itching)
- Vatarakta (gout)
- Pittaj vrana (wounds)
- Guhya vrana (non healing wounds)
The list of ingredients used for preparation of Sukumara rasayanam are as follows-
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Amalaki (Emlica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia billerica)
- Twak (Cinnamomum zeylenica)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamom)
- Patra (Cinnamoum tamala)
- Jatiphala (Myristica fragrans)
- Jati (Jasmine flower)
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum)
- Dhanayak (Coriandrum sativm)
- Godhuma (Triticum aestivum)
- Yava (Hordeum vulgare)
- Yavani (Tracheospermum ammi)
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)
- Chavya (Piper chabba)
- Kustha (Sausseria leppa)
- Trivrit (Operculina terpenthum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Bharangi (Clerodendron serratum)
- Tejovati (Zanthoxylum alatum)
- Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea)
- Shuddha gandhak (sulphur)
- Shuddha guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
- Madhusnuhi (Smilax china)
- Sitopala (sugar)
- Ghrita (cows ghee)
- Madhu (honey)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinalis)- Sunthi mainly acts on aggravated vata dosha and reduces pain related conditions like headache, stomach pain, abdominal pain. It boosts skin health, improves skin hydration and skin elasticity. It boosts digestion and gut health.
- Pippali (Piper longum)- Pippali have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It reduces stress and maintains respiratory health such as cough, cold and asthma. It prevents various infections and improves digestive health.
- Marich (Piper nigrum)- Marich relieves from bloating, abdominal pain and protects the liver and its functioning. It helps in detoxification of the body and improves gut, respiratory health.
- Amalaki (Emlica officinalis)- Amala is a rich source of Vitamin C so boosts immunity, digestion and metabolism of the body. It corrects constipation, skin, and hair health. It plays an important role in weight loss, maintain cholesterol levels.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)- It prevents bacteria, virus, fungus like infections and has good wound healing properties. It prevents constipation, gas, bloating, indigestion and other digestive disorders.
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia billerica)- Bhaeda helps in healing wounds, ulcers and managing piles, fistula complaints. It has strong laxative properties and stimulates appetite. As it has antioxidant properties it helps in maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Twak (Cinnamomum zeylenica)- Twak is very beneficial for digestive and gynaecological health. It is beneficial in cardiac diseases, diabetes, anxiety, depression like conditions. It corrects all gastrointestinal conditions.
- Ela (Elettaria cardamom) - Ela has antioxidant, diuretic properties and prevents various microbes. It reduces bloating, flatulence and any inflammatory conditions. It also acts on dermatological conditions by improving circulation.
- Patra (Cinnamoum tamala)- Patra is a drug having low calories and high fibre content present in it. It is used to prevent bad odour, dark spots or any pigmentation on the skin.
- Jatiphala (Myristica fragrans)- It has analgesic, expectorant and digestive properties. It acts as carminative, cardiac tonic and improves respiratory health. It calms the mind and reduces stress, anxiety.
- Jati (Jasmine flower)- Jasmine flower helps in managing neurological symptoms like stress,insomnia and prevents infections. Jati is beneficial for reproductive health also as it protects the uterus and facilitates lactation.
- Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica)- Chitrak is beneficial in dermatological and digestive conditions like itching, rashes, constipation, indigestion. It reduces inflammation in piles, sinus and fistula like disorders.
- Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum)- Cloves are a rich source of nutrients, have antioxidant properties and prevent various microorganisms. It reduces pain, inflammation and improves liker health.
- Dhanayak (Coriandrum sativm)- Coriander helps in lowering sugar level and promotes brain, hair, heart, brain and skin health. It prevents various infections and removes toxins from the body. It is a rich source of Vitamin C,A and E.
- Godhuma (Triticum aestivum)- Wheat helps in gaining energy, strength and maintains body weight. It is a rich source of nutrients so it is beneficial for hairs, skin, digestion, and removes toxins from the body.
- Yava (Hordeum vulgare)- Barley reduces blood cholesterol levels due to its antioxidant properties and helps in weight reduction. It helps in detoxification, manages urinary tract and digestive disorders.
- Yavani (Tracheospermum ammi)- Ajwain is a digestive fibre that improves gastric and intestinal health. It is helpful in bloating, loss of appetite, bloating, and flatulence-like symptoms. It has laxative and carminative properties.
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)- Vidanga helps in worm infestations due to its anthelmintic properties. It controls nausea, vomiting, flatulence and constipation like conditions due to laxative properties.’
- Chavya (Piper chabba)- It is very beneficial in respiratory symptoms like cough, asthma, bronchitis. It prevents viral infections and skin disorders. It helps in weight loss, lowering blood sugar levels and digestive disorders.
- Kustha (Sausseria leppa)- Kustha prevents growth of bacteria in the large intestine so aids in digestion. It can be used for local application in headache, toothaches and any other joint disorders.
- Trivrit (Operculina terpenthum)- It has purgative properties and removes toxins from the body. It has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties. It mainly helps in pacifying pitta and kapha dosha.
- Pippali (Piper longum)- Pippali is useful in managing respiratory and digestive disorders. It is good for weight loss and prevents various infections. It also helps in managing diarrhoea, hepatitis and malaria like conditions.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)- Ashwagandha helps in increasing body strength and relieves stress from mind. It lowers blood sugar level, fat, removes toxins from body and helps in correcting body’s metabolism.
- Bharangi (Clerodendron serratum)- Bharangi is a herb which helps in reducing cysts and uterine fibroids. It is helpful in various skin conditions like putrefaction and burning sensation.
- Tejovati (Zanthoxylum alatum)- It helps in preventing intestinal worms, colic pain and abdominal distension like symptoms. It acts as an aromatic tonic for dyspepsia and viral fever.
- Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea)- Nagkesar has antioxidants, anti inflammatory and great wound healing properties. It manages skin infections, scabies, ulcers and other dermatological conditions.
- Shuddha gandhak (sulphur)- Purified gandhak relives from various types of skin disorders with allergic conditions. It boosts strength, stamina, nourishment, reduces inflammation and helps in blood purification.
- Shuddha guggulu (Commiphora mukul)- Gugglu helps in reducing inflammation, swelling in any part of the body, acne, eczema and psoriasis. It promotes weight loss, controls blood sugar, cholesterol and thyroid levels. It has rejuvenating properties, removes toxins from the body and reduces arthritic symptoms.
- Madhusnuhi (Smilax china)- Madhusnuhi helps in healing wounds, diabetic carbuncle, piles, fistula, eczema, psoriasis, tumour like skin issues. It helps in pacifying pitta and vata dosha due to its cold potency.
- Sitopala (sugar)- Sugar provides instant energy to the body, boosts the immune system and improves gut health. It has a great effect on cognitive function and calms the central nervous system.
- Ghrita (cows ghee)- Ghee soothes, hydrates and moisturises skin by removing toxins from skin. It neutralises free radicals from skin and removes scars, spots, pigmentation and wrinkles.
- Madhu (honey)- Honey delays premature ageing and hyperpigmentation from skin. It helps in great exfoliating, cleansing effects so fight against acne and breakouts.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Madhusnuhi rasayanam are as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above, wash them properly and dry it in shade.
- Prepare fine powder of all drugs separately and mix them thoroughly by triturating in khalva yantra.
- Then prepare linctus of sugar and water by boiling it on mild heat and adding fine powder of all the drugs to the linctus along with ghee.
- Take the mixture obtained away from heat and let it remain for cooling.
- In a cool mixture add honey into it and mix thoroughly by continuous stirring.
- Now the mixture obtained is called rasayana, which must be stored in wide mouth glass bottles.
- Now the madhusnuhi rasayanam obtained should be kept away from direct sunlight.
The properties of madhusnuhi rasayanam are given as follows-
- It corrects dermatological conditions.
- Has antihistamine properties.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- It controls blood sugar level.
- It corrects digestive ailments with gastrointestinal disorders.
- Has wound healing properties
The indications of madhusnuhi rasayanam are given as following-
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sexullay transmitted diseases
- No such side effects are mentioned.
- Precautions must be taken by pregnant or lactating mothers.
- Occasionally it may cause gastric irritation.
- If taken by diabetic patients, it must concern the physician.
Dosage / Usage
6-12 grams twice in a day after meals.
With warm milk.
Like ghrit (ghee)
Madhusnuhi rasayanam is a semi solid poly herbal formulation mentioned in classics for a wide range of diseases such as skin and inflammatory disorders. It acts as a blood purifier and improves blood circulation. There are no known side effects of this disease if taken in prescribed dosage. So for the indications mentioned above, this preparation can be used and it will prove effective for ant severity you may concern to the physician.