Reference - Charak Samhita Chikitsa 9/ 45-48
Mahapaishachika Ghrita is a medicated ghee made of many natural herbs mentioned in our texts for improving memory, intelligence and preventing psychotic disorders. In this preparation herbs are infused in the medium of ghee with water decoction. It reduces mental stress, anxiety and improves brain functioning. In this article we will discuss this grita composition, method of preparation benefits and dosage.
Mahapaishachika ghrit is a herbal formulation which basically works on predominant vata disorders. It works like nectar and promotes psychological as well as physical health. It contains cow’s ghee as a base. It contains oil soluble and water soluble phyto active principles of herbal medicines. According to Ayurveda it basically acts on manas roga (psychological disorders) and helps in calming the mind.
According to classical texts, Maha paishika ghrita formulation is mentioned in the Unmada chapter in charak samhita. It acts on all three dosha but mainly on prominent vata dosha. The various indications mentioned in classics are-
- Chaturthak jawar (Type of fever)
- Unmad (Epilepsy)
- Graha badha (Seizures)
- Upsmar (Psychological disorder)
- Buddhi vardhak (Increase intelligence)
- Samritipradh (Boosts memory)
- Nagavardhan (Strengthens body)
The list of ingredients used for preparation of Mahapaishachika ghrita are as following-
- Jatila (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- Putana/ Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Keshi/ Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus prostratus)
- Charati/ Kumbhi (Careya arborea)
- Markati (Achyranthes aspera)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Tryamana (Gentiana kurroo)
- Jayanti (Sesbania sesban)
- Veera/ Ksheer kakoli (Lilium polyphyllum)
- Chorak (Angelica glauca)
- Katurohini/ Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Varahi kanda (Dioscorea bulbifera)
- Guggulu (Commifera mukul)
- Maha purushdanta/ Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Kayastha/ Ela (Cardamom)
- Nakuli/ Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Katambhara (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Sthira/ Sariva (Desmodium gangeticum)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Jatila- It has brain protecting properties and relieves symptoms of seizures, vertigo, etc. It helps in wound healing and has antiarrhythmic properties.
- Putana- It has powerful antioxidants which improves memory capacity, focus, concentration, and calmness. It improves cardiac health and improves heart health.
- Keshi- It is traditional medicine for increasing brain functioning and reducing mental fatigue. It prevents headaches, insomnia and depression-like conditions.
- Charati- It supports body pain, tumors with respiratory and cardiac disorders. It improves cognitive skills and stimulates the mind to improve memory, concentration.
- Markati- It migrates kapha dosha and has cold potency. It removes toxins from the body and improves physical and mental health conditions.
- Vacha- This herb soothes nerves and improves mental power. It works like a nervous tonic and is useful in anxiety, epilepsy. It helps in balancing vata dosha and rejuvenating the brain.
- Tryamana- It calms the mind and enhances memory power, concentration. It helps in managing autism, epilepsy, seizures.
- Jayanti- It is a natural antioxidant which helps in severe headache, fever like symptoms. Have antibacterial and antiviral effects.
- Veera- It prevents age related problems and acts as a good energy booster. It reduces inflammation and boosts brain function.
- Chorak- It reduces anxiety, maintains hormonal balance and removes toxins from the body. It protects the brain by reducing inflammation.
- Katurohini- It balances kapha, pitta dosha and helps in detoxification, also acts as an immunity booster. It is helpful in digestive related disorders.
- Brahmi- It boosts brain functions, reduces stress, anxiety. It increases brain chemicals which are helpful in learning, thinking, and memory.
- Varahi kanda- It is very helpful in weight gain, overall body health. It is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acid so it improves brain functioning, stress level.
- Guggulu- It reduces chances of nerve, brain damage and memory loss. It relaxes the cardiac system and helps in steadying the mind.
- Maha purushdanta- It contains various antioxidants and has a strong antidepressant property. It relieves stress, tension and strengthens the immune system.
- Kayastha- It is good for the brain, increases memory and thinking ability. It makes the mind sharper and acts as neuroprotective.
- Nakuli- It reduces inflammation in the brain and vata related disorders. It is very helpful in nervitis and autoimmune diseases.
- Katambhara- It helps in calming the mind and boosts memory power. It is useful in dementia, depression, and cardiac disorders.
- Sthira/ sariva- It is a life prolonging agent, it controls all tridosha and has a calming effect on mind.
- Cow’s ghee- It acts as a rejuvenator for the central nervous system and acts as brain tonic so it increases memory.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Mahapaishachika ghrita are given as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare kalka (paste) from kalka dravyas in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Then add kalka to the cow’s ghee and mix it properly.
- Prepare decoction from kwath dravyas and mix it with kalka-ghee mixture.
- Stir the solution properly and cook it on mild heat till it remains the quantity of ghee.
- At last filter the solution in a clean container and keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Mahapaishachika ghrita are as follows-
- Regulates CNS activity.
- Well known antidepressant, antioxidant property.
- Act as a nervous tonic.
- It has an inflammatory property.
- It has a soothing and calming effect.
The various indications of Mahapaishachika ghrita are given as following-
- Mental disorders
- Memory loss
- This ghrita is usually taken under physician’s supervision.
- It is best to avoid it during pregnancy.
Dosage / Usage
1-2 ml twice a day before a meal orally.
- Can used for nasya (2-3 drops in each nostril)
- Abhyanga (body massage)
- Basti (medicated enema)
With warm milk or warm water.
Tikhat (bitter), Kshaya (astringent), Madhur (sweet).
Above mentioned, ghrita is described in various classical texts as a potent nervine tonic and lowers mental, stress, and exhaustion. It improves brain functioning and intelligence power. So in today's busy lifestyle, one must use this to reduce stress level and for any severity you may concern to the physician.