Reference - Ashtanga hridayam uttarsthan 7/ 28
Kushmanda Ghritam is a classically described herbal ghrita formulation which is primarily used in psychological disorders such as depression, mood swings, anxiety. It is also known as Medyarasyana ghrita. It is very effective for calming children with mental illness. In this article we will discuss Kushmanda ghrita’s ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Kushmanda ghrita is a medicated preparation in which ghee is used as a base. This ghee is infused with various herbal drugs having its phyto active principles. It acts as a rejuvenator to both body and mind. It enhances cognitive functions and improves memory. It nourishes health, intellect, immunity and longevity. According to Ayurveda it boosts Dhii (intellect), dhriti (retention power) and samriti (memory).
According to classical texts, Kushmanda ghrita is indicated in vata predominant dosha among all (vata, pitta and kapha). It is mentioned by Acharya Vagbhata and also in Bhaishjyaratnavali texts. Some of classical indications of Kushmanda ghrita are as following-
- Apasmar roga (psychosis)
- Buddhi vardhak (boosts intelligence)
- Vani, swar vridhi (improves speech)
There are only three ingredients for preparation of Kushmanda ghrita-
- Kushmand (Benincasa hispida) - 18 prasth/ 3200g
- Mulethi/ Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) - 16 tola/ 192g
- Cow’s Ghee - 1 prasth/400g
Benefits Of Ingredients
The benefits of ingredients are given as following-
- Kushmand - It boosts memory, intellect and overall health of a person. It is very effective in dullness in children due to undeveloped brain and seizures. It also strengthens the respiratory system and heals damage caused by chronic bronchitis. It is a rich source of calcium, proteins and vitamins (vit. B, C) so helps in boosting immunity. It is used in all types of psychological disorders. It acts as a rejuvenative for the mind so used for managing depressive illness.
- Yashtimadhu - It helps in removing vitiated vata and pitta dosha. It improves blood circulation to the brain and normalizes pitta disorders. It has strong anti-oxidant properties and acts as a brain tonic. It is a very potent stress busting and memory enhancing herb. It acts as an antidepressant and improves the quantity, quality of circulating blood. It reduces inflammation and removes all toxins from the body.
- Cow Ghee - It acts as nectar for the brain, it boosts all neurological functions that controls conscious and subconscious movements. It improves decision making power, prevents dementia and Alzheimer like conditions. It boosts immunity and helps in growth, repair of brain cells.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Kushmanda ghrita are given as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Make kalka (paste) of the kalka dravya i.e. yashtimadhu in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Then add cow ghee to the kalka prepared and mix it properly.
- Then extract swaras or decoction from kushmand in a vessel.
- Add decoction to the kalka-ghee mixture, stir the solution continuously and mix it well.
- Cook the solution obtained on mild fire and reduce it till it remains in quantity of ghrita.
- Filter the ghrit obtained, store it in an airtight glass container and keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Kushmanda Ghrita are given as following-
- It acts as an antidepressant.
- Improves blood circulation.
- It has anti-epileptic properties.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The indications of Kushmanda Ghrita are given as following-
- Secondary amenorrhoea
- ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
No such conditions are mentioned when Kushmanda Ghrita is not given.
Dosage / Usage
10-20 ml twice a day after meals.
With lukewarm water or milk.
Kushmanda Ghritam is a unique poly herbal formulation recommended for managing psychological health, depression, insomnia like conditions. In today’s busy lifestyle stress and anxiety is very commonly found even in the younger generation also, so you must use Kushmanda ghrita for such conditions. If there is any concern or severity you may consult a physician.