Reference - Sahasrayogam- ghrit yoga prakaranam 19/ 27
Karaskara Ghritam is a medicated ghrita formulation mentioned in ayurvedic classical texts for vataj disorders. It relieves deep tissue pain with swelling and chronic inflammation. It clears circulatory channels and corrects metabolism. It helps in healing and nourishing all types of affected joints. In this article we will discuss Karaskara ghrita composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Karaskara Ghrita is a ghrita formulation for all types of rheumatic fever and its symptoms. It helps in healing and nourishing degenerative disorders. As the name suggests, Karaskara ghrita it contains karaskara/ kuchla (Strychnos nux vomica) as its primary ingredient. This preparation is mentioned in classics in context to rakat (blood) and vata management. This ghrita is basically used in management of gout and bone related disorders.
According to classical text Karaskara ghrita, among all dosha it acts on aggravated vata. It is basically used in vata roga and daha rujam (pain with burning). The indications of Karaskara ghrita in classicals are-
- Vata rakta (Gout)
- Jannu vata (Osteoarthritis)
- Daha (Burning sensation)
- Shoola, Shoth (Pain with inflammation)
The ingredients used for preparation of Karaskara ghrita are given as following-
- Nilekshu (Saccrahum officinarum)
- Balamula (Sida cordifolia)
- Water - 10 litres
- Go kshira (Cow milk) - 1 litre
- Go ghrita (Cow ghee) - 640 ml
- Kuchla bejja/ karaskara (Strychnos nux vomica)
- Kadali Phala/ banana (Musa paradisica)
- Draksha (Vitis vinifera)
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Nilekshu- It is a rich source of vitamins and nutrients, and removes toxins from the body. It reduces inflammation and calms pitta dosha. It is rich in calcium and phosphorus strengthens bones, joints.
- Balamula- It improves strength of bones, muscles and joints. It reduces inflammation from the body and acts as an antioxidant. It removes toxins from the body and has an analgesic effect.
- Go kshira- It contains various minerals and nutrients so it strengthens bone growth. It manages coughs, colds and improves immunity. It hydrates our body and corrects metabolism.
- Go ghrita- It helps in natural growth of tissues, muscles as it is a rich source of nutrients. It has healthy fat so improves digestion and reduces inflammatory changes.
- Kuchla bejja- It relieves pain and has antioxidant properties. It causes muscle contractions and has an effect on neuralgic disorders. It treats allergies, back pain, headache and indigestion.
- Kadali Phala- It is mentioned in classics for management of cholera, hysteria and bleeding disorders. It corrects general debility and fatigue of the body.
- Draksha- It is useful in management of excessive thirst, fever, vomiting, dryness and emaciation. It is also beneficial for respiratory, liver related issues with burning sensation.
- Yashtimadhu- It provides strength and immunity to the body. It has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. It manages vata and pitta related disorders.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Karaskara ghrita are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then make kalka (paste) from the kalka dravya mentioned.
- Then mix paste of drugs with the cow ghee.
- Add drava dravyas (decoction) to the paste made in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Then the solution obtained should be cooked on a mild fire till there remains a quantity of ghrit dravya.
- Filter the solution properly, and store it in clear wide mouth glass bottles.
The properties of Karaskara ghrita are given as follows-
- It has a high anti-inflammatory effect.
- It has analgesic properties.
- Provides strength to bones and muscles.
- Clears circulatory channels.
- Boosts metabolism.
- It enhances nourishment and hydration level.
- It has healing and regenerating properties.
The various indications of Karaskara ghrita are-
- Burning sensation
No such contraindications and side effects are not mentioned.
Dosage / Usage
3 to 5 grams twice daily after meals.
Lukewarm water or milk.
Katu (pungent), tikta (bitter).
Karaskara Ghrita is a medicated ghee formulation which is mentioned in classics. It is mainly effective in vata related disorders such as vatarakta i.e. gout. It is beneficial in reducing pain, swelling, and inflammation-like symptoms. So this ghrit can be used according to the indications but of any severity you may consult to the physician.